• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite 3c

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Favorite 3c Reply with quote

So while I'm waiting for my Kanstul to arrive, I decided that I better have a good 3c mouthpiece to complement it. So I just wanted to ask ya'll, what are your favorite 3c's? Please state price also cause I don't really want to pay more than $100 USD for a mouthpiece:D
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are dozens, maybe more, that you could choose from...

The best one for you is going to depend how you like your 3C's to feel - how big you like the ID to be, what kind of rim profile you prefer, how sharp you like the bite, etc etc etc.

I could name you a few 3C variants I've tried, and some that I thought were particularly good... as could quite a few people here... but we are not you, and those answers are not necessarily going to translate to what will work best for you.

To really answer this question correctly (and not just trigger a massive "try all possible 3C variants" safari), you're going to need to supply more information.
Let's start with:
1) What are you using now?
2) What would you like to improve? Or if you prefer, how would you like the new one to be different/better than your current one?

The more specific you can be, the better.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite 3c Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
So while I'm waiting for my Kanstul to arrive, I decided that I better have a good 3c mouthpiece to complement it. So I just wanted to ask ya'll, what are your favorite 3c's? Please state price also cause I don't really want to pay more than $100 USD for a mouthpiece:D

Hi Con

Are you buying your Kanstul 1537 new?

If so, it comes with a Kanstul 3C, which is likely to give you the right mouthpiece gap with your Kanstul trumpet, which is one (important at least in my opinion) variable you won't have to worry about.

I'm not sure about the specifications of the Kanstul one piece trumpet 3C, as only the Kanstul one piece cornet 3C is listed on the Kanstul website.

The Kanstul one piece cornet 3C is a CG3 in the Kanstul one piece blank. I know because Jim New (whilst he was still at Kanstul) once made me a custom one with my Bach 3C rim.

I don't know whether the Kanstul one piece trumpet 3C is also a CG3 or a copy of a Bach 3C. If so, it is most likely a one piece version of the B3C modular top from the Kanstul modular mouthpiece system (copy of Charley Davis' Bach 3C. I'm not sure which era this is from, only that having seen a scan of it compared to my 2005 Bach 3C, they are both larger variants and pretty similar), combined with the Kanstul B10 (copy of a Bach 10) trumpet backbore, although I don't know for sure. Kanstul will presumably tell you if you ask them.

Either way, the Kanstul 3C is likely to be a better match to your new trumpet in my opinion than a Bach 3C, and I would try the supplied mouthpiece first.

And to answer your question, my favourite 3C is one made by James R New, and is my favourite because it is a very well made replicable copy of a favourite trumpet Bach 3C from 2005, made by a very good mouthpiece maker, with extremely good customer service and very reasonable pricing.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Curry 3C. Around $60 USD. A little bit more of a cushion rim than the Bach 3C, which I played for years before switching to Curry. I found it helped my endurance a bit.

Honestly I didn't switch to Curry because the 3C. itself was any giant improvement over my Bach 3C. I switched because of the perfectly consistent rims Curry offers: a 3 rim is a 3 rim every time. I eventually added 3M and 3Z pieces for big band and funk gigs, a 3TF for certain jazz gigs, plus a 3BBC for cornet, and a 3FLD for flugelhorn. They all feel identical on my face, but give different colours to my sound.

The whole "mouthpiece ecosystem" thing is perhaps not applicable to your situation, but that was my reasoning, anyway.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote for the Curry 3C. too. It's easier on the lip than a lot of 3Cs out there and for me, has a nicer tone than the Bach 3C.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with Curry you can get two mouthpieces for around $100.

Maybe get a 3C and a more commercial cup like the Z cup, or something out of his 600 line.

This way you'd have a nice piece for band stuff, and a brighter piece for jazz and big band stuff.

That is if you already play on, and know you like a 3 rim. Otherwise, this is all moot. And just get acclimated to your new horn with whatever mouthpiece you are already playing, then start a mouthpiece safari.

Why have more unknown variables while getting used to a new horn?
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thread on 3C's:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141633
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves 43C/2 with #28 bore for me .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite 3C is any other mouthpiece. Seriously, I have never had a 3C that I liked or worked on my horns.

I have a friend who had like a dozen of them (hi Eric!) and I went through them all in about a minute because none of them worked.

The 5C, however, isn't bad!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3C. hands down!

...and if you what to keep the same rim for various setups and instruments Curry rims are very consistent from piece to piece.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes the 3C special for you? What is it that sets it apart from all others?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
What makes the 3C special for you? What is it that sets it apart from all others?

Well.... Lots of good replies everyone, but I'll start with his majesty King Richard III. The 3c for me has been a very comfortable mouthpiece for all around. I like mine to have a pretty thick rim, and a deeper v style cup. Note: I do find the bach megatone 3c to be nice but a bit too deep for my liking. I think it would be good for the first mouthpiece because I'm used to that style of mouthpiece and I have a better time being a versatile player all around with that mouthpiece. To answer Mz. Finche's question: No. I found a 1537 in mint condition that was slightly used, so it does not come with the standard 3c, but it does come w a nice Charlie Melk Tuning slide Also, I've seen a lot of suggestions for Curry mouthpieces. What makes them stand out to you? How reputable is this company? I will certainly be looking into them

Cheers Everyone
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

The best one for you is going to depend how you like your 3C's to feel - how big you like the ID to be, what kind of rim profile you prefer, how sharp you like the bite, etc etc etc.

I could name you a few 3C variants I've tried, and some that I thought were particularly good... as could quite a few people here... but we are not you, and those answers are not necessarily going to translate to what will work best for you.

To really answer this question correctly (and not just trigger a massive "try all possible 3C variants" safari), you're going to need to supply more information.
Let's start with:
2) What would you like to improve? Or if you prefer, how would you like the new one to be different/better than your current one?

To specify and elaborate a bit on your questions: On my CORNET I'm using an olds 3c with a medium depth to it i presume. I would like something slightly less shallow, and with a slightly broader rim for a slightly darker tonal color.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what I'm trying to AVOID is a massive expository and excruciatingly spendy "lets try every 3c mouthpiece there is to try" kinda mouthpiece safarid
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Curry's rims fit my chops. Being a touch (barely noticeable) larger than a Bach 3C in diameter, with a softer bite and a very acceptable tone adds up to a very consistent response, reaction, and comfortable mouthpiece. With this piece, my endurance is better and more notably, my consistency day to day, week to week is way better. I can beat myself up at a Jazz Band gig at night and be confident that I'll be able to play well while teaching lessons the next morning. And move from playing legit to lead to pit work and then to Brass Band cornet with little to no adjustment period nor loss of control.

Additionally, his rims are consistent throughout the series. The 3 Flugels, 3 Cornets and various 3 (3star, 3D, 3DE, etc) trumpet mouthpieces all feel the same on my face, simplifying all the switching I make.

A very reasonably priced mouthpiece that is readily available at multiple places. $60 range
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
TKSop wrote:

Let's start with:

To specify and elaborate a bit on your questions: On my CORNET I'm using an olds 3c with a medium depth to it i presume. I would like something slightly less shallow, and with a slightly broader rim for a slightly darker tonal color.

Ah... that's an interesting, but important detail.
It's been quite some time since I saw an Olds 3c but I don't recall it being at all similar to a Bach 3c (the only Olds piece I have in the drawer is an Olds 3, and that feels more like a Bach 7 sort of diameter rather than a 3).

I notice in your reply to Richard III's post, you mention having played (own?) a Bach megatone 3C, which would have the same rim and cup as a standard Bach 3c of the same era, just a slightly larger throat (#26 instead of #27).
Do you recall this being significantly different in size (cup diameter or ID) than your Olds 3c?
If so, do you like the ID of that Bach megatone 3c? (I ask because if you found that significantly too large, chances are the Curry 3C would also be too large for you - as would any other "3C" you're likely to find suggested if you're asking what people's favourite 3C pieces are).

There's a good reason people are suggesting the Curry 3C's - they have a very comfortable broad/cushioned rim profile which is matched on other models of varying cup depths, a well balanced feel overall and play well - and they're very cheap for the quality...
(Which will, of course, be irrelevant if the piece you're enjoying is nowhere near the same kind of ID...)

On the topic of pieces which are cheap for their quality, I'll mention James R New's line - particularly the "S" rim (clones of Arturo Sandovals 3C rim profile) on whatever diameter you like, and in particular I'm a fan of the "M" cup (which is a clone of Arturo's 3C cup, scaled to whatever diameter to fit your rim size), though if you want it darker the "MD" cup (not listed on his site) is a superb cup, as is the "MS" although that's quite bright. The "S" backbore, again a clone from Arturo's favourite 3C, is an incredibly versatile backbore, too.
As an overall package, Jims pieces are very hard to beat - and the fact that they're available as standard pieces in a range of diameters but with the same, comfortable, 3C rim profile (unlike Curry, whose different rim diameters come with different rim profiles, of varying degrees of comfort) - the Curry 3C is arguably a more comfortable rim, but I find Jim's Arturo cloned rim more effective for me personally.

First things first, though, let's establish whether you're really looking for a "3C" (or, something in the neighbourhood of a Bach 3C sizewise) in the first place - because if you're not, then the suggestions you'll get by asking for people's favourite 3C's are not going to be helpful at all.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Centennialsound wrote:
TKSop wrote:

Let's start with:

It's been quite some time since I saw an Olds 3c but I don't recall it being at all similar to a Bach 3c (the only Olds piece I have in the drawer is an Olds 3, and that feels more like a Bach 7 sort of diameter rather than a 3).

Hi TKSop

Without disagreeing with you at all, I used to sit next to a player who I believe used an Olds 7C on cornet. I thought that he told me that it had a cup diameter like a modern Bach 3C. If an Olds 7C is more along the size of a Bach 3C and an Olds 3C is more along the lines of a Bach 7C, does the Olds mouthpiece sizing work the other way, with 3 being smaller than 7, or have I remembered what my colleague said incorrectly? I suppose he could have had an Olds 3C and said that it was 7C sized, it was a long time ago.

Edit: I had a quick look on Google and all I can find is references to the Olds 3/3C being Bach 7B/Bach 7C respectively sized, nothing about the sizing of an Olds 7C. Probably I've remembered it backwards. Whatever, for the purpose of the OP and this thread, his Olds 3C is definitely Bach 7C sized.

Edit again lol: I've been racking my brain. 2nd cup of coffee later, and it was an Olds 3C, that my colleague had, and he did say that it was Bach 7C sized. Lol, that will teach me from posting before thinking properly

Take Care

Lou

I notice in your reply to Richard III's post, you mention having played (own?) a Bach megatone 3C, which would have the same rim and cup as a standard Bach 3c of the same era, just a slightly larger throat (#26 instead of #27).
Do you recall this being significantly different in size (cup diameter or ID) than your Olds 3c?
If so, do you like the ID of that Bach megatone 3c? (I ask because if you found that significantly too large, chances are the Curry 3C would also be too large for you - as would any other "3C" you're likely to find suggested if you're asking what people's favourite 3C pieces are).

There's a good reason people are suggesting the Curry 3C's - they have a very comfortable broad/cushioned rim profile which is matched on other models of varying cup depths, a well balanced feel overall and play well - and they're very cheap for the quality...
(Which will, of course, be irrelevant if the piece you're enjoying is nowhere near the same kind of ID...)

On the topic of pieces which are cheap for their quality, I'll mention James R New's line - particularly the "S" rim (clones of Arturo Sandovals 3C rim profile) on whatever diameter you like, and in particular I'm a fan of the "M" cup (which is a clone of Arturo's 3C cup, scaled to whatever diameter to fit your rim size), though if you want it darker the "MD" cup (not listed on his site) is a superb cup, as is the "MS" although that's quite bright. The "S" backbore, again a clone from Arturo's favourite 3C, is an incredibly versatile backbore, too.
As an overall package, Jims pieces are very hard to beat - and the fact that they're available as standard pieces in a range of diameters but with the same, comfortable, 3C rim profile (unlike Curry, whose different rim diameters come with different rim profiles, of varying degrees of comfort) - the Curry 3C is arguably a more comfortable rim, but I find Jim's Arturo cloned rim more effective for me personally.

First things first, though, let's establish whether you're really looking for a "3C" (or, something in the neighbourhood of a Bach 3C sizewise) in the first place - because if you're not, then the suggestions you'll get by asking for people's favourite 3C's are not going to be helpful at all.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

I concur. I helped a friend recondition his old Olds Ambassador he played in high school (mumble) decades ago that still had the proprietary Olds receiver and original Olds 3C mouthpiece that has a different shank taper than Bach Standard. It is nothing like a Bach 3C, but it does fit, both physically with the different taper, and tonally, the Ambassador very well indeed.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
I helped a friend recondition his old Olds Ambassador he played in high school (mumble) decades ago that still had the proprietary Olds receiver and original Olds 3C mouthpiece that has a different shank taper than Bach Standard. It is nothing like a Bach 3C, but it does fit, both physically with the different taper, and tonally, the Ambassador very well indeed.

If it was an original large-shank Olds mouthpiece, it was an Olds 3. The Olds mouthpieces with letter designations came much later.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BedfordTrumpeter wrote:
I really like the Curry 3C. Around $60 USD. A little bit more of a cushion rim than the Bach 3C, which I played for years before switching to Curry. I found it helped my endurance a bit.

Curry 3C. for me too - I was blown away not only by how comfortable it feels, but it also produces a focused, smooth, and darker sound than any other 3C I've played. For me, the rim also makes flexibilities easier.

I had been looking for a better mouthpiece to use for more classically oriented playing, and none of the others I had in that general size range were really getting it done. I ordered the Curry on a while for two reasons:

One, it was fairly inexpensive comparatively. A friend of mine is currently using a Monette Resonance mouthpiece. There is NO WAY I'm going to dump that kind of money on a mouthpiece that might not be any better than anything else I've played.

Two, the Curry 3C. seems to be very well regarded. People online were glowing about it, so I figured, why not? If I don't like it, at least I'm not out a lot of money, and considering how well liked by others it seems to be, I could easily get my money back out of it by selling it.

I like it - I'll be sticking with it for a while.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: