• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blueprinting

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool arrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Blueprinting Reply with quote

I've been reading a lot about Blueprinting. I'm thinking about sending my horn off to get looked at. What experiences have you had with this procedure? What are the cost ranges and results?

Thank you,

CA
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Becker will let you know final cost based upon what needs to be done. My cost after shipping was a little over $500, but it took my "good Bach" to a great one that plays with really good tuning for a 239/25H horn, and even sound throughout the ranges and dynamics.

Totally worth it, would 100% recommend without hesitation.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blueprinting Reply with quote

cool arrow wrote:
I've been reading a lot about Blueprinting. I'm thinking about sending my horn off to get looked at. What experiences have you had with this procedure? What are the cost ranges and results?

Thank you,

CA

Well, that's five posts...ready to sell something in the marketplace now?
cool arrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity, if your reply is meant to be a comical statement concerning the requirements needed to place an item for sale I can surely go along with it. It is a bit funny. However, if you are implying that this is all done to move a horn you are wrong. And even if it was, take your comments to the moderators not the members that are following the rules.

I do not know why it says "New Member" under my screen name and "Veteran Member" under yours. I have been a member here since 2006 which is a bit longer than 4 months. I am starting to post things again since I am getting back into more consistent playing and, well, it has been a long time. For the record, cool arrow will never sell an item on The Trumpet Herald. I will use safer and easier methods should I decide to sell.

I don't know you but I'm sure you have been very helpful to others on this forum. I apologize in advance if your statement was meant to be light hearted in which case this reply seems to be over kill. But, maybe someone else will read this exchange and learn something. Who knows? Your reply seemed to delegitimize my efforts to gain knowledge that is the cornerstone of these types of forums.

Sincerely,

CA
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool arrow wrote:

I don't know you but I'm sure you have been very helpful to others on this forum.

Not as much as you'd assume from his almost 500 posts in less than five months
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim at Osmun has blueprinted 2 of my Bach 37s and has done outstanding work on some of my other horns. The last horn he did for me was a wreck and he transformed it to an excellent player. For me that's saying a lot as I am not partial to Bach 37s. I used the horn in a concert band rehearsal tonight and it played great on music from Holtz's 2nd Suite to a Duke Ellington medley. Do it, you'll be glad when you get it back.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Benge 5X when I met Flip Oakes. He performed his Total Enhancement on it. This included machining the nib on the top of the 2nd valve top cap to make clearance for his pad thickness. It seems the valve stem was inordinately short

He also checked my Kanstul 1025 and pronounced the valves within tolerances.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a copper bell Wild Thing flugelhorn. I special ordered it with no finish, as I intended to use it as a demonstrator for nPart's Hands OFF! raw brass protective nano-coating. When the horn came to me, it had not been set up by Flip. I played it and I was pretty disappointed.

I already had a WT flugelhorn in silver. It was a wonderful horn. The best flugelhorn I'd ever played. This new horn was nowhere near the same. It didn't want to land on notes like the silver horn. The tone was weak and transparent. I began to think that I wasn't going to play this new "investment" much. I called Flip to discuss it. He suggested I return it to him so he could set it up.

When I got it back, it was completely transformed. It landed each note easily. It had a wonderful tone which was still light, but not flakey in any way. As I played it more, I found it to be very even in response and tone all the way through its scale. Intonation was excellent, just like my silver horn.

What had been a disappointment became the finest brass instrument I've ever owned.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool arrow wrote:
trumpet.sanity, if your reply is meant to be a comical statement concerning the requirements needed to place an item for sale I can surely go along with it. It is a bit funny. However, if you are implying that this is all done to move a horn you are wrong. And even if it was, take your comments to the moderators not the members that are following the rules.

I do not know why it says "New Member" under my screen name and "Veteran Member" under yours. I have been a member here since 2006 which is a bit longer than 4 months. I am starting to post things again since I am getting back into more consistent playing and, well, it has been a long time. For the record, cool arrow will never sell an item on The Trumpet Herald. I will use safer and easier methods should I decide to sell.

I don't know you but I'm sure you have been very helpful to others on this forum. I apologize in advance if your statement was meant to be light hearted in which case this reply seems to be over kill. But, maybe someone else will read this exchange and learn something. Who knows? Your reply seemed to delegitimize my efforts to gain knowledge that is the cornerstone of these types of forums.

Sincerely,

CA

Yep, was totally meant to be lighthearted, as most of my postings are. I did notice you make a bunch of short posts in a couple days, and that follows suit to what I've seen guys do in order to get requirements made to sell something in the marketplace.

Either way...it's all good. If you took offense to my snarkyness, I'm sorry for that. I like to chat trumpet stuff here cause I'm a trumpet dork. I'm not as stuffy as others are, and occasionally let out a joke or two. There are guys here who like to "help" and fancy themselves a guru of sorts. That's not me, I don't claim to be any of that.

I hope you get your questions answered, and continue to post. Don't let my misplaced snark steer you away!!

Peace
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool arrow wrote:

Sincerely,

CA

+1

Well said. Even if someone posts 5 times only to become eligible to list in the marketplace why is this irritating to some people when the TH rules clearly approve this? On what basis do people complain about this and/or imply that someone is insincere or somehow "cheating" if they do this? What difference does it make to anyone? The idea that someone is offended by this seems ridiculous. Many posters who reach 5 posts have never had any intent to list anything in the marketplace. If they do, who cares as long as they're following TH rules?
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about this with interest.

When you send in a horn for this process, the notion I've gotten is that they pull up a special "blueprint" for your particular horn and make sure that your horn conforms perfectly with it.

I never knew that such blueprints were made and that they were available. Are they like the blueprint that would be made before a building is constructed?

Does this mean that Osmun has a document for ever horn ever made? They have the original plans for every Olds Super, Getzen Severinsen, Benge 3X, Dominick-made Calicchio 1s2, etc.?

Where did they get these documents? They have the measurements down to the 1/100th of an inch for each component for every horn ever made?

Or, am I taking this description too literally?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

When you send in a horn for this process, the notion I've gotten is that they pull up a special "blueprint" for your particular horn and make sure that your horn conforms perfectly with it.

I never knew that such blueprints were made and that they were available. Are they like the blueprint that would be made before a building is constructed?

Does this mean that Osmun has a document for ever horn ever made? They have the original plans for every Olds Super, Getzen Severinsen, Benge 3X, Dominick-made Calicchio 1s2, etc.?

Where did they get these documents? They have the measurements down to the 1/100th of an inch for each component?

The impression I get is that it's not so much comparing a horn to a literal blueprint as it is trying to bring the horn closer to what that the designer intended than the tolerances the manufacturer built the horn to?

Here's how I've assumd it to be...

For example - no designer intends for the valve alignment to be within x%, they're generally going to design the horn around a theoretically perfectly aligned valveblock.
The manufacturer the builds the block itself and the valves individually to within certain set tolerances - and in most cases, they don't go over every finished horn with a fine-tooth-comb and correct the misalignment caused by the combination of the block tolerance and the valve (plus felt, etc) tolerance - if both parts are within tolerance, then the overall alignment is presumed to be acceptable.
The blueprinter takes a closer look at the individual horn and how the actual alignment lines up - and fine tunes it to improve the performance of the horn... in the process, bringing the individual trumpet closer to what the blueprint clearly would have been, without actually needing to see the blueprint.

Likewise, the designer assumes there aren't going to be any solder blobs hidden inside the bore of the trumpet - the blueprinter checks whether there are any, and corrects if necessary.

And so on....

Or atleast that's the impression I've gotten from reading the posts of both customers and the skilled technicians performing the work.
I could easily be wrong...
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop is right. Blueprinting is the process of bringing the actual horn toward is original specifications. Variations in part dimensions, assembly techniques, etc., produce horns that have "faults" that are not part of the original design.

Flashing around the water key hole, tubes that were shrunk down at the end so that they would fit a ferrule, excess solder and even out-of-roundness are all things which regularly occur during assembly. A good blueprinting addresses these issues and more. I've watched Flip Oakes unsolder and reposition a spring barrel from a valve piston to correct radial alignment in one of his Wild Thing horns.

He also told me that the first Wild Thing trumpet I had needed a whole lot of work to get right, but at the end it became "one of two exceptional horns to come through" his shop. The other belongs to Tom Turner, a long-time TH member.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

Where did they get these documents? They have the measurements down to the 1/100th of an inch for each component for every horn ever made?

I have a bit of an engine building background and have "blueprinted" a # of engines, I believe the term as used here came from that. With cars you do obtain critical measurements of wear components from the manufacturer. This has mostly to do with matching factory or "better" tolerances. This method became prevelant in stock classes as improved/modified parts were against the rules. This is blue printing to spec.. Trumpets are NOT made to such exacting specs or subjected to the same measurement or tolerance specs as a car is. The production techniques are much higher tighter specs. Most trumpet makers do not have c&c machines to achieve this or the hi tech instruments to get this tolerance even if they had the desire ( very $$).

But we don't have a sanctioning body so no one says you can't improve upon the makers final work. Blobs of solder, Mis aligned slides. I also do not think that any trumpet maker (maybe Carol) can hand throw 2 bells that have anywhere near the comparative tolerances to a factory auto part. I have always heard (heardsay) that Marcenkiewitz made his name cleaning up the products Benge turned out (although I now think he make a great instrument minus the Benge warts. So I think the curren"blue printing" is what Marc. Did to the Benges, make them better using good old common sense and paying a little more attention to critical areas than a maker would when meeting a schedule. Even if a maker did have an excellent blueprint, the hand work necessary to make it would prevent matching a blueprint. My .02
Rod
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of blueprints, I was shown the blueprint for the Bach C 229 trumpet by Ted Waggoner. It was pretty cool seeing something done by Vincent himself.
JazzFluegel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
Jim Becker will let you know final cost based upon what needs to be done. My cost after shipping was a little over $500, but it took my "good Bach" to a great one that plays with really good tuning for a 239/25H horn, and even sound throughout the ranges and dynamics.

Seems like a lot of sweet moolah for what are essentially minor adjustments (based on the Osmun list of what they do) when a total refurb including fit and finish making the horn like or better than factory-new ran me less than a grand last time I had one done (just south of Seattle by name escapes me). . ..
NOW, Keith Allen Pintar
Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt Cornet
Kanstul 1525 FL
1962 Conn 9A Artist Coprion
1948 Conn NY Symphony 12B Coprion
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you. If I like a horn that much, it goes to Charlie Melk, gets disassembled, everything made straight, and reassembled no-stress as part of a restoration.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
James Becker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a practitioner that's been repairing brass instruments for 40+ years, (the past 27 years at Osmun) I've seen, measured and documented quite a bit of data on trumpets. No, we don't have factory blueprints, but are familiar with the parameters of the major maker's trumpets, cornets and flugelhorns. The elimination of disruptions in the bore, valve alignment, addressing concentrically issues, out of round tubing, making sure mouthpipe venturi and receiver gap are within set parameters can be the difference between a dog an exceptional instrument. We've even blueprinted "hand picked" trumpets that were very good to begin with and elevated them to the next level.

Read more abour our blueprinting service here http://www.osmun.com/blueprint

As for cost, it can vary from instrument to instrument. For example the base price to blueprint the typical Bach trumpet is $339.00, and reflects a discounted package price of individual services. The cost of AJCarter's $500.00+ repair bill reflects additional parts and labor on top of our blueprinting service. It is not uncommon for replacement leadpipes and tuning slides to run hundreds of dollars for parts and installation. All trumpets receive a free diagnostic test for valve seal and can be rebuilt when need be.

For additional savings we offer a brand new Bach C180L22925H trumpet that's already been blueprinted at a discount. http://www.osmun.com/instruments/bach-c-trumpet-blueprinted.html

I hope this is helpful.
77 Powdermill Road Rt.62
Acton, MA 01720
www.osmun.com

Our workshop is as close as your nearest UPS store https://www.ups.com/dropoff?loc=en_US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
I tend to agree with you. If I like a horn that much, it goes to Charlie Melk, gets disassembled, everything made straight, and reassembled no-stress as part of a restoration.

Tom

1+++ on Charlie's work!
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzFluegel wrote:
AJCarter wrote:

Seems like a lot of sweet moolah for what are essentially minor adjustments (based on the Osmun list of what they do) when a total refurb including fit and finish making the horn like or better than factory-new ran me less than a grand last time I had one done (just south of Seattle by name escapes me). . ..

Where did I say it cost me a grand? I bought the horn itself for 1k, and then had the work done on top of it. Seems to cost less than a new horn to me... unless you're getting brand new, solid Bachs for $1,500 or less somewhere.........

Also yes, I had brass guides installed and the receiver was either replaced or worked on, I do not recall. But the pipe and slide stayed the same. All I know, is that it was certainly worth the money to have all the work done to it and that I would do it again and trust Jim with my horn. The postal folks? not so much.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tangential discussion reminds me of a homily:

Nikola Tesla visited Henry Ford at his factory, which was having some kind of difficulty. Ford asked Tesla if he could help identify the problem area. Tesla walked up to a wall of boilerplate and made a small X in chalk on one of the plates. Ford was thrilled, and told him to send an invoice.

The bill arrived, for $10,000. Ford asked for a breakdown. Tesla sent another invoice, indicating a $1 charge for marking the wall with an X, and $9,999 for knowing where to put it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: