• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Player personality

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just this note: I believe the book refers to the London Symphony Orchestra.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many trumpet players out there that have different personalities. The key is to associate with players that are musicians first. Wayne Bergeron, Tony Kadleck, Bobby Shew, Kevin Burns, Brian MacDonald, Roger Ingram, Maynard Ferguson and Doc Severinsen for example, are just a few that I have heard live and I am acquainted and have performed with a few of them. They have a professional attitude with their playing but are not snobs about who they are and what they do.

We have all played with some people that are critical of everyone's playing except their own. And the joke: How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light Bulb? Four! One to screw in the bulb, and the other three tell how much better they could do it!

Pete
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
His personality.

I was thinking that one,
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot in my previous post that I met All Hirt when I was a kid. He was the first big name I met. He was a really good guy. He had enormous hands and my hand disappeared as we shook hands.
Later in my early 20's I did a week long summer workshop with Danny Stiles. A name that you don't hear much since he passed away. Danny was a marvelous player and also a pretty good guy.
The only other big names I've met are Lew Soloff and Maurice Andre.
Lew was a very eccentric, quirky guy. He was also a good guy. Maurice did not speak much English but was very friendly.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
About four decades ago, while I was studying music at McGill University in Montreal, I recall reading a wonderful book entitled "To Speak For Ourselves". It was all about the musicians in the Boston Symphony, their personalities and the personalities & characteristics of their instruments...and how a person's personality tends to lead them to choose a particular instrument - or how the instrument's character and the demands of playing a particular instrument end up changing their personality.

Violinists were characterized as 'high-strung' (pun intended?) and akin to racehorses; bassoonists were hobbyists, always whittling away on reeds; oboeists were a little neurotic (the backpressure?); trombone & tuba players were the jokers and the life of the party; and trumpeters were the dapper, well-respected gentlemen of the orchestra. Hmmm...

It's no doubt long out of print, but definitely worth looking for in your local (music) library.

From Garrison Keillor's Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra: "The trumpet is the brass instrument you imagine as Christian, thinking of Gideon and Gabriel, and then you meet one in real life, and you realize how driven these people are. They don't want to wear black tie; they want to wear capes and swords and tassels; they want to play as loud as they can and see mallards drop from the ceiling. Of the people who've keeled over dead at orchestra concerts, most of them were killed by a long trumpet passage. And most of them were glad to go."
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I stand corrected, and thank you for that The book is indeed about the LSO...and may still be available.

https://www.amazon.com/speak-ourselves-London-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/0718304918
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Player personality Reply with quote

Eddie Jeffries wrote:

Maynard Ferguson - extroverted, gregarious, funny

Bill Chase - shy, quiet

Doc Severisen - regular guy next door, surpisingly normal

Lin Biviano - skirt chasing, swagger, let 'er rip enthusiasm

George Pee Wee Erwin - a truly nice guy, loved by all, modestly underplays his own extraordinary musical gifts, coloring everything he did and said was a quirky sense of humor, made friends easily and keep them for life. He was a musician's musician.

Warren Vache Sr.
William M Weinberg

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Player personality Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:

George Pee Wee Erwin - a truly nice guy, loved by all, modestly underplays his own extraordinary musical gifts, coloring everything he did and said was a quirky sense of humor, made friends easily and keep them for life. He was a musician's musician.

My Dad had a signed autograph of his picture,and I think this description is accurate. Like great playing, you can see common traits among all of it despite style, equipment, or school of thought or teaching. Same goes for trumpet player personality; lots of variation of course, but some common elements. It's a chicken and the egg thing? Do we choose the instrument because of our personality? Does the instrument "choose" us? Or are we later shaped due to the demands of the instrument? I think its a process, and appreciate the insights here.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
And the joke: How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light Bulb? Four! One to screw in the bulb, and the other three tell how much better they could do it!

Pete

Pete, I'm a trumpet player and my joke is funnier than yours. It only takes ONE trumpet player to screw in a light bulb. We just stand still, and the world revolves around us.

That joke is funny because its so absurd. As others have alluded, trumpet players are the hardest working people you could meet, and it usually makes us a bit eccentric or quirky. I've played rock in a lot of environments where no one even knows I'm a trumpet player; either keys, bass or vocals, and sometimes all three. The difference in personality really becomes apparent! They don't know how to relate or what to expect, but always respect the work ethic and often up their game. If I stick with them long enough to work in my axe, they never recognize "the trumpet player personality," but it's always defined in roughly similar terms.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
From Garrison Keillor's Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra: "The trumpet is the brass instrument you imagine as Christian, thinking of Gideon and Gabriel, and then you meet one in real life, and you realize how driven these people are. They don't want to wear black tie; they want to wear capes and swords and tassels; they want to play as loud as they can and see mallards drop from the ceiling. Of the people who've keeled over dead at orchestra concerts, most of them were killed by a long trumpet passage. And most of them were glad to go."

That's pretty funny. Here's the best description of all:

Michael Stewart, DMA wrote:
“There are two sides to a trumpeter’s personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter’s fury; then, there’s the dark side…”

And yes, this quote was posted on the first page. But it's just so... good. And this time, the original author is getting credited.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality.
There is the one that lives only to lay waste to woodwinds, strings, french horns, percussionists, and trombones, leaving them lying blue and lifeless alongside the swath of destruction that is the trumpeter's fury. And then.....
there is the dark side."
Michael Stewart DMA

Thanks,
Didn't know the author only the quote.

Last edited by solo soprano on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet player compliment:

"Nice solo," he lied.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking to the CIO of a small software shop today about his use of apprenntices instead of CompSci graduates as new hires. He said he noticed the best of them have one thing in common - they play an instrument.

"And trumpet players are the smartest, right?" I asked, and he laughed. No sooner had it left my mouth than I knew I had committed a "trumpet player" thing.

There's a similarity in old lacrosse players. I asked some of the players from our local HS girls' team if they could guess what position I played. The coach, without batting an eye, said "You were a goalie."

"How'd you know that?"

"Only goalies ask that."
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear the mixed experiences people have had with Doc. He was cordial if not bubbly the couple of times I met him. Someone related to me a couple of interactions with Doc a number of years apart that left a bad taste in his mouth - he made an effort to engage Doc the second time thinking the first time might have been a fluke. As with a lot of people Doc was his big trumpet hero. He actually said he was tempted to pop Doc one after the second encounter - but instead he said something insulting and left. In both scenarios I can see where there might have been a misunderstanding and/or bad timing. Two sides to every story and all. Or maybe not.

I think it depends when you catch him. One story I heard he allegedly shut his hotel door in the face of Al Hirt and a guy Al was going to introduce to Doc. Maybe not true at all or a distorted version and there was more to the story that got lost along the way. Apparently Doc had been practicing - maybe pissed about being interrupted?

Yet in contrast - another hotel room related story a young lady told - she and her girl friend went to his hotel room to get an autograph and heard him having a loud argument with his wife. Going against obvious decorum and common sense they knocked anyway. You'd think that would be regarded as intrusive and he wouldn't be in any mood to indulge fans - yet per the anecdote when he answered the door he apparently couldn't have been any friendlier - gladly signed for them, chit-chatted. When they parted and the door closed they heard the argument resume. Maybe Doc was less sensitive to being interrupted by a couple of cute girls than by a gruff, bearded 300 lb guy - lol.

I personally would be a terrible celebrity - the notion of strangers constantly coming up to me wanting to engage me is about as appealing to me as a root canal.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Michael Stewart, DMA wrote:
“There are two sides to a trumpeter’s personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter’s fury; then, there’s the dark side…”

And yes, this quote was posted on the first page. But it's just so... good. And this time, the original author is getting credited.

John, some credit Irving Bush as the original author of this quote.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Doc was a completely different story. he was signing cd's after 2 shows I had gone to. It was pretty obvious that he didn't want to be there. He barely looked up and if you tried to engage him in any small talk he blew you off. He was very rude to my wife when she tried to speak to him. My wife is a quiet, gentle soul and he was a complete ass.

I wonder if it's possible he wasn't feeling well?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:
Doc was a completely different story. he was signing cd's after 2 shows I had gone to. It was pretty obvious that he didn't want to be there. He barely looked up and if you tried to engage him in any small talk he blew you off. He was very rude to my wife when she tried to speak to him. My wife is a quiet, gentle soul and he was a complete ass.

I wonder if it's possible he wasn't feeling well?

If it had happened once I would have given him a pass. It happened twice and his arrogant behavior to my wife was simply uncalled for.
No doubt he's an amazing player even as he approaches 90, doesn't make you a good person.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great quote from above:

"All trumpet players must be comfortable playing like a gladiator, with bravado, as a leader, setting the pace and musical tone and playing all the most exciting parts in any musical score.

"It's not a fanfare without a trumpet, and a trumpet player has to have a fanfare in their soul."

Onstage the trumpet player has to be able to lead, play out and set the tone for a group. In the recent Brass Chat, Chris Martin explains that he is a shy fellow but was able to learn how to bring out his playing on the stage. It's a personality choice and challenge.

Offstage, it's a different matter. Trumpet players are human--complex and different. Some days musicians are exhausted on the road, they are busy and you're interrupting them, or simply not up to engage with fans. And to be honest, we really can't demand that celebrities be our friends. We hope they'll be nice, talk to us, give us a story or a nugget of wisdom but that's because we are fans. The relationship with celebrities is complicated and as fans we have unrealistic expectations. Some days our heroes might extend themselves and other days they need to retreat to recharge their energies. Do you really want strangers knocking at your hotel room for autographs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: