• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hostility was started by you.

Whatever man, I'm done with this nonsense.

Brad
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
The hostility was started by you.

Whatever man, I'm done with this nonsense.

Brad

I have no desire to fight with anyone.

I simply asked why someone would tell me to abandon a mouthpiece which is working just fine for me now.

I simply asked why someone would recommend how to solve a problem that I clearly stated was already completely resolved.

You have called me a troll and thrown false accusations at me.

Another poster called Donald Reinhardt's Pivot System "BS" when I described air flow.

I have no desire to fight with anyone.

If you cannot be nice, then simply stay away from me.

God bless.

Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Quote:
When a player plays low notes, the air is projected close to the mouthpiece throat.
When a player plays high notes, the air is projected close to the rim.
At A above the staff my air would be projected diagonally into the corner of the cup.
With vertical cup sides and flat cuo bottom, the air would be going longer distance to get into that cup corner.
Whereas a "V" cup would keep the air distance short on that A above the staff.

OK! On this I will call "BS". Where the "bleep" did you get this? Maybe the way it FEELS to you but a very unusual approach IMO. "Projecting air into the corner of the cup"??? WTF

It is standard teaching in Donald Reinhardt's Pivot System.
There is a Reinhardt Forum here in Trumpet Herald.

Most players are born with either a downstream embouchure or an upstream embouchure.

Go to
http://www.magikflute.com/airstreamdynamics/index2.htm

That site is owned by Dave Sheetz,
who is often mentioned in the Reinhardt Forum here in TH.

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

You can click on either illustration to enlarge.

You can see the air flow changing direction as the player plays higher or lower.

I was merely mentioning how the changing air direction will track the inside of the cup, so the shape of the cup can be critical.

Your hateful attack of
"On this I will call "BS". Where the "bleep" did you get this?"
was completely unwarranted.

I do not want to fight with anyone.

God bless.

zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one last post, for you obviously have all the aswers and only read what you wish...

I'm fairly familiar with the Reinhardt teaching and the frequently misunderstood "pivot system" - no where can I find anything about at a specific point in range "air projecting diagonally into the corner of the cup" up or down yes... but this system is a very deap pool.. 300 plus pages to start with. I may be wrong but this doesn't jive with my understanding. One of the biggest problems with the Reinhardt system is partlal understanding and missuse.. I reference Doug Elliot here.

you say you've solved your problems, why ask for input which you did directly in your OP and indireclty by posting in a forum. Even without a question posed you had to know someone would comment.

I do think that 6 months to learn to adjust to any mouthpiece is WAY too long - a BIG sign that it's not right for you even if you've been playing a similar piece for 40+ years. Things change bud.

And I go back to my original statement that your beginning point about choosing one piece over another for tone or range is faulty logic
.."By interpolatting and extrapolating other mouthpieces that I had successfully used, deep for tone and shallow for range, I deduced that a Wick 2B should be perfect..."
you assume that this is correct. I don't. So, everything you've done after that is based in weak logic thus fraut with problems. i.e 6 months to adjust. You could learn to play well on anything, but why waste that much time and effort get something that fits you better-it's not rocket science.

Then my snarky remarks come after being ambushed-we are adults here and I was hoping that being direct would make you think a little, you need someone to tell you things that you aren't willing to listen to.... if you want to get better, get over yourself and listen to someone, if not me, someone, ...anyone.

I'm sorry you think I told you to do something you are unable to do and that somehow that is offensive (go to a conference) but again how would I have known?

How would you know that I'm a disabled vet with physical and mental challenges as a result of my military service?

Have a good night - i'm not returning to this thread.
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: looooong mouthpiece adjustment !!! Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:

Hello Eddie,
You say you are in poor health, maybe its as simple as your ailing health as to why you took a little longer to adapt to the 2B. Nice though that you perservered and got it working. ... Keep blowing that cornet, Nothing better for the Soul !

regards,

tom

You are probably right.

My very poor health was probably responsible for the lengthy adaption.

Thank you for your post.

God bless.

Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Eddie,

To be clear your post seems mostly a statement about your experience, not a request for help. You only posed a single question, "Any other theories on why it took my embouchure 6 months to adjust to the Wick 2B?". I'm not surprised that others might venture that the really long adjustment may have been an indicator of a bad fit, and hindsight being 20/20, that perhaps you might have had less trouble with an alternate path, and that perhaps others in your position may consider an alternate path before working as long and hard as you did. No matter, it's water under the bridge now given that you seem pretty happy with where you're at with your gear, and there's a whole lot of folks here that can't say that.

Here's hoping that you find the other piece, that it works as you hope, and that it adds to the fun. And good luck with the health issues.

You are correct.

I only asked one question in my post.
"Any other theories on why it took my embouchure 6 months to adjust to the Wick 2B?".

I was pretty sure what the problem was.
I just didn't know for sure why it took me 6 months to fix it.

The mouthpiece wasn't the problem
My embouchure was the problem.

Years of playing Double C's on a very deep Wick 2 mouthpiece led to my developing excessive lip intrusion into the cup.

That excessive lip intrusion into the cup was interfering when I tried to use the Wick 2B.

The question was why it would take 6 months for my embouchure to adapt and develop less lip intrusion.

Thnk you for your post.

God bless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: