• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ryan Anthony Lesson?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Ryan Anthony Lesson? Reply with quote

Okay, so it's not exactly related to a school, but I wonder if anyone on TH has studied with Ryan Anthony and would care to share any thoughts or observations about his teaching methods?

I've seen the info on his site, and it's a good start, but I wonder if anyone can give more in depth experiences. Thanks!
Joshua712

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear as well! I've heard him play several times and his playing is truly amazing...that word gets used alot, but I am genuinely amazed every time I hear him play. I'd imagine he'd be a wonderful teacher.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - I hope someone has some experiences they can share.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second try? Anyone with something to share?
BradJones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend that came out of UNT. He's a Euph player but he said Ryan Anthony was turning the studio around in a good way.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://smutrumpetstudio.com/ryan-anthony/

If you're still interested, where better to find out than from the guy himself.
missplace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any information, but would love to find out more too.
CodyMac90

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradJones wrote:
I had a friend that came out of UNT. He's a Euph player but he said Ryan Anthony was turning the studio around in a good way.

Ryan does not teach at UNT. He is relatively new to SMU, where Tom Booth is still teaching as well. They each teach a few students, Tom usually taking the younger students, while Ryan takes the older kids. This is a format that both of them have agreed upon, with no animosity present(Unlike other schools with multiple teachers).

I studied with Tom for 7 years through high school and SMU, and started playing for Ryan my last few years there(And currently see him for help as well). He didn't start at SMU till after I left Dallas. Our lessons almost exclusively focused on excerpts and audition music for orchestras and bands, so I didn't necessarily get the full Ryan that the current students are receiving. I know that they work on etudes and solos with him regularly.

I can't categorize his teaching method. He's extremely picky about little things. We spent hours trying to get the correct differences in accents, marc., legato, etc...And then we've spent other hours trying to get me to phrase Outdoor Overture, or Pines in a sensible, simple way.

There are definitely others that can be more articulate about his teaching than me. I'll see if I can get them to post something here...As far as him personally, he is extremely genuine. When you are in his studio/house, he's all there for you. And, he will go to bat for you when you need it. If you're in Dallas, you should absolutely try to schedule a lesson with him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: