• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trolarg and the Bach Commercial 3S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: trolarg and the Bach Commercial 3S Reply with quote

In a thread in the high range development forum trolarg mentioned he had tried a Bach Commercial 3S but had problems with it.

trolarg wrote:
i switched from a Commercial Vincent Bach 3S about a year ago because it had cut my lip and the tone quality was bad.

It made me curious so I got one. Wasn't that brave of me risking life and lip with this killer mp?

But seriously, no cuts so far. I don't feel in danger of lip trauma. Seems like a nice piece though not as high-note friendly as the Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead I discovered and have been playing recently though there's no question the low register speaks more easily and is fatter than with the Shew. I've gotten up to a fairly decent Ab on the Bach but it's more work than with the Shew.

I'm certainly no Herseth but I feel like there's plenty of potential to get a really nice - and *big* sound with it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trolarg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: trolarg and the Bach Commercial 3S Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
In a thread in the high range development forum trolarg mentioned he had tried a Bach Commercial 3S but had problems with it.

trolarg wrote:
i switched from a Commercial Vincent Bach 3S about a year ago because it had cut my lip and the tone quality was bad.

It made me curious so I got one. Wasn't that brave of me risking life and lip with this killer mp?

But seriously, no cuts so far. I don't feel in danger of lip trauma. Seems like a nice piece though not as high-note friendly as the Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead I discovered and have been playing recently though there's no question the low register speaks more easily and is fatter than with the Shew. I've gotten up to a fairly decent Ab on the Bach but it's more work than with the Shew.

I'm certainly no Herseth but I feel like there's plenty of potential to get a really nice - and *big* sound with it.

Excellent, anyways regarding this topic it was more or less mental because im playing high c's with ease now and we even won the berklee highschool jazz fest. If you like the 3s go for it, its good for lead playing, not much else tho!!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: trolarg and the Bach Commercial 3S Reply with quote

trolarg wrote:
If you like the 3s go for it, its good for lead playing, not much else tho!!

Good job on the jazz fest! And good to hear you're making progress on range.

I don't know about the 3S being only good for lead playing. I wouldn't submit this for a symphony audition without a lot more shedding but as an example:

https://soundcloud.com/brassplyer/pictures
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trolarg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: trolarg and the Bach Commercial 3S Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trolarg wrote:
If you like the 3s go for it, its good for lead playing, not much else tho!!

Good job on the jazz fest! And good to hear you're making progress on range.

I don't know about the 3S being only good for lead playing. I wouldn't submit this for a symphony audition without a lot more shedding but as an example:

https://soundcloud.com/brassplyer/pictures

Weird, it sounds like a shilke to me, but to each their own, if you like it keep using it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: