• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WSS Question - Prologue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: WSS Question - Prologue Reply with quote

So I'm practicing the Prologue and around mm 182 & 186 you have the descending 16th notes (top line F#, D#, B & first line E#) at 120 bpm. The first two 16th notes are slurred, the second two are tongued; then the figure goes up a half step at mm 246 & 250.

How on earth do you play that? Is there an alternate fingering to use? Do you double tongue the B & E#? I've been slowing it way down and practicing it to get it under my fingers, but what a mutha...

Advice welcome,
Steve
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I showed up for the first rehearsal of WSS at an area playhouse, I had been told it was going to be Sound of Music, and I wasn't worried about it.

When I arrived, I got knocked for a loop.

I came home and listened to all I could find online, and that helped tremendously, plus practicing all the hard places (which are abundant).

Basically, all I did was try to play what was written (lead) and make it sound as easy as possible, which of course, it isn't. If you sound like you're hanging on for dear life, everybody knows it. If you exude confidence and make it sound easy, you can fool a lot of the people a lot of the time.

Get ready for a helluva ride! I did 8 shows a week for 3 weeks and it changed my life!

By the way, save something for that ending. If you are shot when you get there, you're in trouble.
MaestroTrpt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confident Tim Wendt will chime in soon re: this issue...

The good news is that this odd riff is descending, which I find easier to play than ascending, but that's just me. Looks like the fingering isn't too bad- 2, 2, 2, 1 (i.e.- F#, D#, B, E#).

Slowing the passage way down is good. I would try to actually sing it out loud as well.

Also of note: I believe the woodwinds and the pitched drums play this rhythm with you (the trumpets) as well, so the pressure isn't ALL on you.

Have fun with it!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played 1st trumpet for that show through the winter of 2002/2003 in Basel, Switzerland at the Musical Theater Basil. Musically, that was and still is the highlight of my career. I felt like I discovered new musical nuances and displays of Bernstein's genius with each and every show.

https://s25.postimg.org/p6inkl2dr/Kerry_John_more.jpg
My friend, colleague and fellow CG Student Kerry Hughes and I playing WSS in the Musical Theater Basel pit - seated to my right and unseen in the photo is Jason Rambler on 3rd trpt

Slur the first two notes and double tongue the last two. It's not so hard - just practice it over and over, very slowly, resting as long as you played between each repetition. The key is to practice it VERY slowly and build up the speed at a VERY slow rate. Try to practice it too fast and you'll never get it.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
When I showed up for the first rehearsal of WSS at an area playhouse, I had been told it was going to be Sound of Music, and I wasn't worried about it.
That's got to be one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard, although I have to believe something similar could happen to me in the resort area company I play with every summer...

I've done 3 runs of WSS, first one was the original score with D parts and all for a month, last 2 were more modern reduced versions and it was further educed to my being the only trumpet, also filling in lots of other missing parts by ear along the way. (And that never paid extra)

The part you're fussing over goes by so quickly, I believe I just tongued them legato (single tongue) with a short lift on the last note. Almost comes out as a triplet figure at that speed. The riff is all over the show. If there are problems just blame them on the woodwinds...

In all three runs, the biggest problem has always been the conductor. Enjoy the gig, it's still a classic and I'd jump at the chance to do it again.
sab754

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played 1st for my school's production of it last year! Was a really great production and I was incredibly happy with how it went.

For that passage, the section and I elected on playing the D# as 23 as opposed to 2 - it helped us keep everything moving.

For the section that goes up a step to G, I played the E on 12 to make it a bit easier. But really you could probably do the regular fingerings and just nut it out - it's your choice.
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!! I've been shedding it out slow, but was wondering if there was a trick to it or not. And I was wondering if alternate fingers/double tonguing the lick worked better.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C trumpet.

You're welcome.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing that book on the World Tour of WSS. Just make sure to not let up on the mouthpiece pressure/energy (how's that for vague?) on the descending slurs/passages. You want to make sure you're still maintaining a "real" or active embouchure, not just a flab of flesh.

Maybe give those flexandos out of "Flexus" a look & let me know how it goes.

-Andrew
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I just play it with the standard fingerings & articulation wise, I single tongue.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
BeboppinFool wrote:

That's got to be one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard

I struck me funny too, but for an entirely different reason. Very long ago, when I was in High School, the drama department decided they wanted to do West Side Story.

Until the band members (they would have even dreamed of hiring in adult musicians for a student production back then) climbed down into the pit for the first rehearsal. We all vapor locked quite hard on the WSS story book.

The following week, we met again, and that time they handed out The Sound of Music instead, and that was the production for that year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: