• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trombone to Trumpet Hybrid Crossover Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeLee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Trombone to Trumpet Hybrid Crossover Mouthpiece Reply with quote

“I work with a 7-piece Dixieland band playing Tailgate Trombone on a King 3-B. On occasion I have to fill in on my Benge trumpet. If I’m doing ONLY trumpet I can lead songs for about an hour or 2 with that smaller mouthpiece (and smaller embouchure). However if I have to switch back and forth between trumpet and trombone I’m in bad shape after just a few songs.

I was referred to Dave Chamberlain in San Diego. Dave said his company (Chason’s Music) is manufacturing a Hybrid Crossover trombone to trumpet mouthpiece similar (so I understand) to the early Al Cass models except you can interchange shanks for Trumpet, Cornet, or Flugelhorn. It has a very shallow cup and Bach size 11 rim. The workmanship is excellent (see www.chasonsmusic.com for more details).

I demoed it on a Dixie gig at the Lawrence Welk resort. I was able to switch back and forth effortlessly between trombone and trumpet for the whole evening and it sounded great!

I had tried just using a smaller trombone mouthpiece in a trumpet but it was hard to blow and had a very dark sound. Dave’s mouthpiece, on the other hand, produces the bright conventional trumpet sound and is extremely easy to blow! Needless to say I kept it and I highly recommend it to trombonists who want to double on trumpet, cornet, or Flugelhorn.

Lee Fugal (with this mouthpiece I now have a Fugal-horn
[/b]
mikasaren

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested...

Is this top compatible with warburton threads and backbores?
Selmer TTM, Yamaha YTR-932ML, Selmer 365 EL, Selmer 900TT, Selmer G/F piccolo, Wedge 5EC, 5CC, 5BC with #20 bore, Courtois 159r fluegel with WT mpc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: