• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reeves Backbores

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hudson08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reeves Backbores Reply with quote

After playing Bach mouthpieces for 30 years, I'm a recent Bob Reeves convert. I currently play a 42C/69. The store where I bought this had a limited selection and the other runner up in my trial was a 42M/2. I liked them both but felt the 69bb slotted better and felt more secure above the staff. Plus the 42M was a one-piece and I like the idea of interchangeability.

So, my question is about size. On the Reeves site they state that the 69bb is physically bigger than their #2bb, yet brighter and more focused. So how is a bigger backbore brighter and more focused? Is it a matter of shape? For those of you with first hand experiences, how is the blow of the #2 compare to the 69? Does the 2 "blow" smaller?

Either way, I'm now a huge fan of these mouthpieces and kicking myself for not converting sooner!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - if you really want to know and have a bit of time on your hands ...

https://digital.lib.washington.edu/researchworks/handle/1773/25455

At this link, you will find another to the PDF file for Matt Frost's Phd dissertation on trumpet backbores . Basically it suggests that the overall internal volume (cubic capacity) is not the determinate of how bright or dark a backbore is but rather where, in the length of the backbore, the volumes are greater or smaller.

Hope this helps.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be nicer to read with paragraphs and not just one continuous set of sentences...........
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Hudson08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic, thanks Andy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: