• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I found my holy grail, and now I'm terrified.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KerryParker wrote:
What a find!! How'd you come across it?

I found it on eBay.

Another rehearsal down. It's absolute perfection.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
It's the cup that is magical, and perhaps whatever 24 backbore Jeff Parke put in, but I think it's the cup.

I have a 1C here, stock 27/10, and I just spent some time side-by-side playing. The rims feel identical. I closed my eyes and had someone handing me the pieces w/o telling me which was which, sometimes handing me the same piece in sequence, etc., and I couldn't tell them apart.

The 1C/5B is a considerably "larger" piece both in cup and considering the more open throat/backbore.

There is simply something magical about this 5B cup.

Everything is easier, and accuracy is spot on, on both Bb and C.

Sound, articulation, accuracy, soft, loud (I don't think you can play too loud on this thing, it just keeps going, and going...), intonation. Everything. I finally found it. Eureka! The one!

Jaysonr.

Congratulations!
I like what he did with the inner edge just inside of the bite. In a way this might be the reason for your amazing results. In as much as you respond favorably to an alpha angle adjustment.

Ive always believed that those matters of cup design are more significant in obtaining enhanced performance than the more discreet changes. Examples of more "discreet" changes would be adjustments to back-bore, throat and gap.

Also I'm fairly certain that you needn't concern yourself much with that tiny sliver of exposed brass on the inner edge. My experience has shown that if you are sensitive to raw brass? You will find out pretty damned soon anyway. And since you're fine?

Nothing to worry about. As you'll see from the photo of my own mouthpiece creation (which I love equally as you do your own!). As my mouthpiece is 100% bare brass? That and I have zero reaction to it? Obviously we're both gonna be fine. Also, I havent died from using it. Just thought I'd make that clear lest you had doubts.

Obviously our personal choice in mouthpieces are polar opposites. And that is fine. Because from within our 180° differences lie similar fantastic distinctions. We both favor the large throat. That and our alpha angle change has produced these terrific results.

I believe that you will continue to enjoy working with this piece. As it can take a year and a half to glean most of the benefit out of a mouthpiece change. And these positive results never totally cease to happen. Ive found them sort of like concrete curing. As even the cement mixed in Hoover Dam is still getting firmer. Although it was poured over 80 years ago.

That and I still suggest that you continue looking into other mouthpieces but do not ever alter this one!! Instead have this piece duplicated or triplicated. And have any additional changes made on the copies.

Plating your mouthpiece shouldnt change its performance much but it still could. Be advised that any re-plating adds a few ten thousandths of an inch of material. Making the piece feel a hair smaller. If this does become a factor? Its better that you have the plating work done on your duplicated pieces. Ive heard tell that the pros can cut you a mouthpiece just a hair larger. Then by plating it the dimensions become virtually the same as your original.

Shoot! I cant seem to download my image.

Keep up the good work anyway.[/img]

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:

Also I'm fairly certain that you needn't concern yourself much with that tiny sliver of exposed brass on the inner edge. My experience has shown that if you are sensitive to raw brass? You will find out pretty damned soon anyway. And since you're fine?

Nothing to worry about. As you'll see from the photo of my own mouthpiece creation (which I love equally as you do your own!). As my mouthpiece is 100% bare brass? That and I have zero reaction to it? Obviously we're both gonna be fine. Also, I havent died from using it. Just thought I'd make that clear lest you had doubts.

The toxicity of raw brass is well known - some might react to it instantly, some might take months or even years to start seeing symptoms, and a few might get lucky and never do so...

But to say that if you don't get instant symptoms it'll obviously be fine is like saying that because smoking one box of cigarettes doesn't give you a cough means that there's no risk to making a habit of it - no, no, no.

If you want to play Russian roulette with the ability to enjoy your hobby (indeed, to be able to play at all), go ahead, but pease be aware that that's what you're doing.

Me?
You couldn't pay me to play a raw brass piece regulary, and the relatively low cost of getting it plated is a miniscule price to pay to eliminate that risk.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a brass allergy, you would know by now. There's no documented case of long term brass poisoning or loss of proficiency at performing due to un-plated mouthpieces. It's a non-issue. Especially since it is such a small amount in your case. I played for a year on a raw piece, only opting for plated because I wanted a smoother feel. I know people who have played 50+ years on a raw piece to no adverse effect; it's not some silent killer that's gonna get you. If you have brass sensitivity you will know, if not there's no bother. The lead in brass (which I assume TK is worried about) is both too little to do much in the ways of poison as well as the fact that it is in the mouthpiece; it isn't leaching out and into your lip/body/blood stream - well not at any significant rate.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
If you have a brass allergy, you would know by now.

Depending on the degree, I'm not sure that's true. I play for a living, and I realized a year ago that I have an allergy to silver plating on mouthpieces. I had had it for years (maybe forever?), and never realized that the silver was the reason I had increasing swelling problems over the course of a playing day. I figured it was something I was doing wrong, and never imagined it was silver, until I happened to play an acrylic top for a week, and noticed the swelling (and attendant burning feeling) went away. If you dig around on TH, you'll find lots of examples of relatively subtle, but still negative allergy problems where people played with them for years without realizing what was wrong. If it were something super dramatic, I'm sure I would have figured it out, but something more subtle can be easily overlooked or explained otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't play on a mouthpiece with exposed raw brass - plating isn't that expensive.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought for you would be to get a quality copy of it made ASAP - that way if something ever does happen to it, you'll have a backup. With that said, I wouldn't worry about it too much - I still have the mouthpiece that I started using in 1989/1990 when the mouthpiece I had been using, a Marcinkiewicz #3, "walked away" when I was at the Armed Forces School of Music.

To be fair, it was my own fault - when we were putting our horns away after drill band, I'd left that mouthpiece sitting on top of the lockers - I'd meant to put it in my regular horn's case and it just got missed in the shuffle. By the time I'd remembered that I'd left it there, it was gone.

I walked down the road to a music store that was near Gate 5 at the Naval Amphibious Base at Littlecreek/Norfolk, Virginia, and picked up the next best thing the store had in stock - a Marcinkiewicz #2 - they didn't have a 3 and I figured I'd be better going one step bigger than smaller.

In any case, I still have it, nearly 30 years later.

As a drummer, I refuse to use a special signature/endorsee drum stick, preferring instead to find something out of a company's stock lineup. If they ever stop making that particular artist's stick, and it does happen, you'll have to hunt around to find something you like as well.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's comments.

After reading them, I'm a bit more concerned about the raw brass in the cup, but I do want to be clear -- it's past the bite -- past the screw-rim juncture point. The 1C rim was not modified, only the 5B cup modified (widened) at the top to match up w/ the 1C rim.

I've seen some folks who lick, or even stick their tongue inside their mouthpiece before they play, and I don't do that.

Hopefully it will not cause me any issues, however I'm at a point with the piece right now, that until I find something else that plays similarly enough, I'm not sure I'd want to be without it to get it plated.

The closest experience to this I have ever had (the holy-grailness), I had with a Pickett 1.5SO some months back, which was during my phase of trying to downsize in diameter, so it was a bit small for me, and I don't think I had the right backbore (intonation w/ my C). I'm very tempted to try a 1SO or 1BC with a 24 throat and maybe their 10-2 backbore.

I hate to feel like a new safari is ending where one ended, however I do feel the concern about the plating, and it is a pretty unique piece. Even another 5B cup might not be the same, nor would it likely be modified in the same way that Jeff Parke modified this one. Scanning and duplication can also get quite expensive, and will result in another unique mouthpiece which may or may not play the same.

It's far easier to flip a Pickett or maybe a Parke that wasn't quite right than a totally custom mouthpiece.

Again, keep the thoughts and comments coming as they have given me a lot to think about.

J.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time it'd take to get it plated might not even be that significant - it may be worth emailing a few companies to find out how quick a service they offer... you may even find someone that will (maybe for a little extra fee) plate it the day they receive it and get it sent back out the same day on a 24hr service - you'd only be without it for a couple of days that way.

Getting it duplicated though.. that'd probably mean being without it for a bit longer.
Again though, probably worth emailing a few makers to see what their turnaround times are like - I would imagine the best guys would want to keep the piece until they're done (so they can compare their reproduction to your piece) rather than just scanning yours and sending it back.

In both cases, IMHO, knowledge is power - worth having the information to make a (more) informed decision.
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: I found my holy grail, and now I'm terrified. Reply with quote

The code is unlocked.
This begins the real fun part getting to explore your playing and potential.
Keep searching for even more perfect mouthpieces, the reason being you really learn a lot at this point since you are so close.

jaysonr wrote:
I know you should never pick/try mouthpieces because they are used by <insert famous player here>, but I admit, I'd always wanted to try a "real" 1C rim/5B cup setup, à la Phil Smith.

I found one on eBay recently -- probably paid a bit too much, but I bought it. The seller said the work was done by Jeff Parke. It looks like a pre big-letter, post corp. piece by the stamping on the 5B underpart. According to the seller Parke widened the cup a bit in the top half to match the 1C rim and put in a 24/24 setup. I will add that the top part of the cup is raw brass as a result, I'm hoping/assuming since that doesn't come in direct contact with me, that's okay...right? Also, I'm not sure if it's the Hagstrom or the Merkelo 24...but, whatever it is, I don't care. This particular 1C rim is also quite comfortable. I'm not sure what generation it's from, but it felt like a comfortable pair of shoes I'd already broken in.

I once read an interview with David Bilger where he said something like "when you find the right mouthpiece you'll feel like you unlocked a secret code" (I'm paraphrasing badly from memory, but it was something like that).

I thought I had experienced that before, but this was the most profound experience with a mouthpiece I've ever experienced. It's quite sublime. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. is easier. I feel like I suddenly, overnight really learned how to play the trumpet. I've never experienced real, ear-buzzing, head-rattling resonance when I played before, but everything lines up just right with this thing, and it's quite astonishing. I can pick up the horn cold, and with a whisper or a roar produce a clear, ringing, resonate tone. I've never been able to do that before this easily. It's hard to explain.

I know, honeymoon period and all that jazz, but for real guys. This thing is special (at least for me). I've even got another mouthpiece on the way from a fellow TH'er I've been wanting to try, and now I'm hesitant to even try it when it gets here, because I don't want to mess up any mojo that might be going on, haha. I know that is silly, but that's just how I feel at this point.

I've tried Curry "BC" pieces and Parke 285 cups, both which are supposed to be similar to a setup like this, but at least with this specimen, they aren't, at least not in how they play and sound.

I almost feel like I won the lottery or something.

Anyway, I know it's all silly, and probably just in my head, but I wanted to share.

Now...I'm terrified I'll lose it or something will happen to it.

J.

trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get it plated - it's pretty easy to find someone who can and will do that.

I have a friend who will do mouthpiece plating for me while I wait - he has a little electroplating setup. First thing he does is do some light (and I mean light) buffing, then he sonic cleans it, then he plates - he's got little tubs of electroplating solutions. Technically it's brush-plating, but because they are mouthpieces, it's like it's mini-tank plating. The whole process takes maybe 10 minutes.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that one should not "pick" (buy) a mouthpiece solely because they are used by a famous player.

But did you really mean to suggest that you should not "try" a mouthpiece for the same reason?

What better recommendation to use as a starting point for one's ultimate mouthpiece selection? Seems better than just taking the advice of posters on this forum you know nothing about, I would think.

Steve
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
I agree that one should not "pick" (buy) a mouthpiece solely because they are used by a famous player.

But did you really mean to suggest that you should not "try" a mouthpiece for the same reason?

What better recommendation to use as a starting point for one's ultimate mouthpiece selection? Seems better than just taking the advice of posters on this forum you know nothing about, I would think.

Steve

No, I agree. I would have never tried this piece if it were not for me having the knowledge that Phil Smith played something similar. I guess what I was saying is that one should not expect a mouthpiece to work well them because it works well for someone else.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I understand, and agree with you.

It is wonderful when the equipment all comes together and you can just concentrate on making music, isn't it?

Regards,

Steve
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more concerned about the potential effect of any lead allow left in the exposed brass. But then again Ive been playing a raw brass mouthpiece exclusively for ten years now. It not only is missing some plating. But its 100% gone.

No ill effects at all. And Im already old...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
I would be more concerned about the potential effect of any lead allow left in the exposed brass. But then again Ive been playing a raw brass mouthpiece exclusively for ten years now. It not only is missing some plating. But its 100% gone.

For me, if you're aware it's potentially a problem (whether you ever suffer any clear reaction to it or not, you're bringing your relatively permeable lips into contact with a toxic material and hoping nothing goes wrong) and choose to play it anyway then that's your choice to make... and I sincerely hope you never suffer any problems as a result.

I don't find recommending others take the risk on the basis that it's not done you any harm to date to be brilliant advice, but clearly we'd disagree about the odds of it becoming a chronic problem.

As with the smoking analogy - I won't hector someone for choosing to smoke (and I don't feel the need to inform them what a bad decision that is, it's undeniably common knowledge at this point), but if I ever met a smoker recommending other peoplet ake up the habit on the basis that it hadn't done them any harm, or that a relative at lived to a ripe old age despite regular smoking (etc), then I'd feel the need to disagree openly.

Still, you're probably right that it would probably be fine in this case, it just depends on lip engagement into the cup - it's still not a risk I would be willing to take, the cost of getting it plated would be worth the peace of mind (for me).

Anyway, kinda dragging thread off topic - apologies.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop-

+1
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Lionel wrote:

For me, if you're aware it's potentially a problem (whether you ever suffer any clear reaction to it or not, you're bringing your relatively permeable lips into contact with a toxic material and hoping nothing goes wrong) and choose to play it anyway then that's your choice to make... and I sincerely hope you never suffer any problems as a result.

I don't find recommending others take the risk on the basis that it's not done you any harm to date to be brilliant advice, but clearly we'd disagree about the odds of it becoming a chronic problem.

As with the smoking analogy - I won't hector someone for choosing to smoke (and I don't feel the need to inform them what a bad decision that is, it's undeniably common knowledge at this point), but if I ever met a smoker recommending other peoplet ake up the habit on the basis that it hadn't done them any harm, or that a relative at lived to a ripe old age despite regular smoking (etc), then I'd feel the need to disagree openly.

Still, you're probably right that it would probably be fine in this case, it just depends on lip engagement into the cup - it's still not a risk I would be willing to take, the cost of getting it plated would be worth the peace of mind (for me).

Anyway, kinda dragging thread off topic - apologies.

No apology necessary. Your caution has given me more caution.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO after much experimentation and trying some other pieces, a mouthpiece I didn't expect to be similar to this wound up being similar, and actually a touch better for me:
Bob Reeves Classical Series 1-1/4C

The rim is nothing like a 1-1/4C rim (which is good), it has a softer bite, is wider, and feels a bit more like a "smaller 1C".
The cup is nothing like a Bach 1-1/4C cup -- it reminds me of a Parke 280 cup. It's slightly shallower than this 5B cup, but has a very similar shape, and most importantly the throat entrance looks identical (which is where I think the magic is coming from).

Therefore: Slightly smaller (good), slightly tighter blow (good), Slightly more brilliance (good), even more resonant (good), and more endurance (good). Ding! Ding! Ding! I think I have a winner!

Another really good option I'm still experimenting with is a Stork 1B+26D. It takes a bit more work than the Reeves, but also rewards with a slightly bigger sound. The rim is very comfortable, and doesn't feel as large as the numbers say it should.

Last edited by jaysonr on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's where you discover that the search for the grail never ends.

Right now, this piece is ah-may-zing. And you know, honestly, the mouthpiece ain't gunna change any. But in three months, maybe 6 months -- maybe even a year if you're very lucky -- You'll start thinking:

"This is great... but maybe I'll just grab that blah blah I saw on ebay to try" and then you'll end up buying 20 or so more and with one of them you'll be like: "Huh. This one actually works a little better for blah blah blah". So then you'll need to start searching for something that can beat both of them.

Before you know it, you're re-mortgaging your house and wondering if there isn't perhaps a way you can fake your own death and cash in on your life insurance policy. Because actually there is just one more piece you really think might be the one, ah but you're running a little short on cash right now because lord help me, mouthpiece just keep getting more and more expensive! And the resale value on those 2,547 mouthpieces you have in a specially built storage cabinet aren't really good enough to justify selling them, plus it's hard work and you don't have time to wait while you sell them or you might miss out on the one you think will be the ONE2.0.

And I mean you'll loose 40 cents on every dollar, and what if you actually ALREADY HAVE the one, but you just didn't realise because you were having a bad day when you tried it? And then you sell it because you needed the cash for that other piece, only to later have to hunt it down and buy it back.
But now the guy knowshow bad you need it, so the price just went up like - gosh darn it - 20 times! And...

Well, this is all just hypothetical of course.

What I really mean to say is - congrats!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
So here's where you discover that the search for the grail never ends.

Right now, this piece is ah-may-zing. And you know, honestly, the mouthpiece ain't gunna change any. But in three months, maybe 6 months -- maybe even a year if you're very lucky -- You'll start thinking:

"This is great... but maybe I'll just grab that blah blah I saw on ebay to try" and then you'll end up buying 20 or so more and with one of them you'll be like: "Huh. This one actually works a little better for blah blah blah". So then you'll need to start searching for something that can beat both of them.

Before you know it, you're re-mortgaging your house and wondering if there isn't perhaps a way you can fake your own death and cash in on your life insurance policy. Because actually there is just one more piece you really think might be the one, ah but you're running a little short on cash right now because lord help me, mouthpiece just keep getting more and more expensive! And the resale value on those 2,547 mouthpieces you have in a specially built storage cabinet aren't really good enough to justify selling them, plus it's hard work and you don't have time to wait while you sell them or you might miss out on the one you think will be the ONE2.0.

And I mean you'll loose 40 cents on every dollar, and what if you actually ALREADY HAVE the one, but you just didn't realise because you were having a bad day when you tried it? And then you sell it because you needed the cash for that other piece, only to later have to hunt it down and buy it back.
But now the guy knowshow bad you need it, so the price just went up like - gosh darn it - 20 times! And...

Well, this is all just hypothetical of course.

What I really mean to say is - congrats!

I sincerely hope I'm getting it narrowed down. Either the Reeves 1-1/4C or the Stork 1B+26D is likely to be "the one" that I will play for quite some time. I have a planned time to get some trusted ears out front where I can play both of them and see if they prefer the sound I'm getting out of one or the other, and that should make the decision final.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: