• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can I buy and install new springs myself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Can I buy and install new springs myself? Reply with quote

Bach Strad, standard classical model, whichever one that is.

I thought my valves seemed a little sluggish. I cleaned my trumpet but they still feel that way, if not more sore. (Actually computer keyboard feels sluggish too... )

I saw a youtube video with replacing a whole valve spring mechanism that came apart. That was just a screw on top. It's not quite the same on my trumpet.

I haven't had my trumpet professionally cleaned for... probably ten years now... There's not a place nearby that's professional that I would trust. But when I had it cleaned in the past, I believe they were replacing springs and valve caps standard with the cleaning.

Can I just buy some new (regular) springs and somehow unscrew my valve and add the springs in? Does it matter which springs I get in terms of brand? I saw someone posting about light Bach strad springs. I'd want regular or even something with more punch to it for sure. I just want them to pop back up with a ltitle more oomph than they're doing now.

Also, is it normal to wear springs out or should I never or very rarely have to replace springs? If my valves are sluggish and it's not actually the springs (if spring replacing isn't normal) then maybe there's something corroded or solidifying on the valves that's doing it. I think the springs probably need to be replaced though.

Any suggestions on where to buy new springs?

Should I get the spring guides too if I'm adding in new springs? A whole spring kit?

My second valve I've noticed tends to feel stickier if I sit in an ensemble with the horn tilted. I think that causes it. Something with spit moving in there I think. After cleaning it, I'm noticing the third valve being a little more sluggish though tonight. It might work itself out, but I remembered, I think, springs being replaced in the past.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can replace your valve springs. Since you own a Bach Strad, a quick internet search will bring you several options for a genuine Bach 'care kit.' Do not attempt to replace your valve springs with anything other that valve springs specifically designed for your model trumpet. Genuine Bach is probably best, though some aftermarket custom options surely exist which are designed to outperform OEM.

Now, this said, valve springs are very rarely the issue when it comes to sluggish valves. Consider your regular cleaning and care regimen. You say it's been a decade since your horn has been serviced, which is fine so long as you give the horn a bath every few months, and scrub out your leadpipe, slides, and, yes, valve casings. A conscientious repair tech is likely to replace your valve springs following a complete cleaning and service of your instrument, as issues from general wear to less-than diligent maintenance can cause some small issues with the valves which can lead to unequal strain on your springs. Cleaning and servicing the instrument will ultimately address whatever issues may be at hand, and replacing the valve springs acts as a good, uniform 'reset.'

So, I've answered your question with a quick, direct answer, and a longer detailed explanation of what we should all keep mindful of as stewards of finely-crafted tools for artistic expression. One final note, however, is that I'm unsure of what you described when it came to the differences you saw in your valve construction when compared with the youtube video you saw. Things should be fairly uniform among Bach Strads, and frankly most valves are put together in quite a similar fashion.
So, I recommend that you try to find a tech in the near-term, but if it's been a long, long while, get your horn in the tub with some generic dish soap (avoid ones with hand softeners and so-forth), and get to the routine maintenance that keeps the horn happy. There are undoubtedly dozens of instructional videos for this process available on the internet, as well. I recommend doing this when you order a Bach 'care kit' as they'll have some valve felts you should probably also swap-out.

Best of luck!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff from Danbassin...

there are also several videos that show you decent processes of cleaning your trumpet.. something you should be doing much more often. I did three trumpets yesterday and it didn't take me more than about an hour.

Since you haven't done it in so long, I would also add a good chunck of time soaking in warm watter (dismantled) and a couple cups of white vinegar... this will break up some of the thicker junk... then rinse and wash as directed.

+1 on a Bach "care kit"
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch valve oils, try 5 Starr. Sounds like build up of gook in your casings.

New springs are easy, you can buy them from mouthpiece express, or Doctor Valve. Get Bach OEM.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't had your trumpet cleaned by a professional in a while, it might be time. I don't even bother to clean them myself any more, I just carry it to Charlie Melk. Definitely worth the expense.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
If you haven't had your trumpet cleaned by a professional in a while, it might be time. I don't even bother to clean them myself any more, I just carry it to Charlie Melk. Definitely worth the expense.

Tom

+1
I would add that properly cleaning the valves and valve casings is key to getting fast valves that wont hang. I realize that synthetics are all the rage, and I myself have used Hetman's and Ultrapure on various of my horns. However, on a Bach trumpet, you might try the excellent Bach valve oil. It's superb for making those Bach valves very quick indeed. And it's not expensive.
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no professional clean for a long time. I've cleaned my horn myself. That usually takes me 3-4 hours and kills my fingers and back though. That's from leaning over and trying polish or scrub away anything sticking on the horn or that gets discolored.

I got daring and opened my valves. That's just as simple as the youtube video I watched. It was only finger tight. I carefully stretched the spring out a little and that seemed to help.

I'm wondering though, if I take the spring and valve guide out, can I just soak the whole valve? I've always been careful about water around the valves but I guess it's just the felt, or potentially getting liquid inside the valve in case it wouldn't dry out right away.

It could be the placebo effect, maybe stronger fingers, or I'm wondering if some residue from cleaning got into the valves. Even with the extra slight stretch in the springs, it's more like my fingers come up faster than the valve is coming up.
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretching springs is not the answer to any valve issues. IMO, the very best replacement springs for Bach Strad's are made by Brass Sound Creation, made in Germany by Tomomi Kato. For Bach, I suggest his steel springs which are fantastic, the regular bronze springs are certainly an improvement over Bach springs. I know several places in the US carries them, Osmun for sure in the East.

Trump
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_bob_silver wrote:
Yep, no professional clean for a long time. I've cleaned my horn myself. That usually takes me 3-4 hours and kills my fingers and back though. That's from leaning over and trying polish or scrub away anything sticking on the horn or that gets discolored.

I got daring and opened my valves. That's just as simple as the youtube video I watched. It was only finger tight. I carefully stretched the spring out a little and that seemed to help.

I'm wondering though, if I take the spring and valve guide out, can I just soak the whole valve? I've always been careful about water around the valves but I guess it's just the felt, or potentially getting liquid inside the valve in case it wouldn't dry out right away.

It could be the placebo effect, maybe stronger fingers, or I'm wondering if some residue from cleaning got into the valves. Even with the extra slight stretch in the springs, it's more like my fingers come up faster than the valve is coming up.

I clean my horns regularly (about every two months), it's never taken more than about an hour. If it takes you 3-4, I have to think your horn is REALLY gunked up, a trip to a tech for an ultrasonic cleaning sounds like it's in order.

Brad
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth to the OP, I have a 1925 Conn 28B Concert Grand that, as far as I know, has never had the springs replaced. Springs don't wear out, IMO. My 1970 Selmer Paris Radial also has the original springs and the valve action on that horn is absolutely fantastic. Something else must be involved with the OP's horn..
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carefully stretched the spring out a little and that seemed to help.

I stretched valve springs once and ended up with noisy valves. Normally I'd say that springs rarely if ever need to be replaced. But now that you stretched them it might not be a bad idea. I'd go stock because I don't think that the springs are really ever complicit in sluggish valve action.

A proper cleaning including the ports between cylinders is crucial. After that I'd try a change of oil.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several cleaners designed just for cleaning valves:

http://warburton-usa.com/index.php/clean-stroke-valve-wash

https://www.prestovalves.com/

This may be a direction to go to if valves are still sticky after a good bath. If really good cleaning doesn't change things tech consultation may be indicated.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I carefully stretched the spring out a little and that seemed to help.

I stretched valve springs once and ended up with noisy valves. Normally I'd say that springs rarely if ever need to be replaced. But now that you stretched them it might not be a bad idea. I'd go stock because I don't think that the springs are really ever complicit in sluggish valve action.

A proper cleaning including the ports between cylinders is crucial. After that I'd try a change of oil.

If springs worked well before cleaning and not so well after - problem is elsewhere and now it would be a good time to source OEM replacements for them.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucaneer61 wrote:
I have a 1925 Conn 28B Concert Grand

OK I've always found it humorous that a trumpet might be named after a violin (Bach Strad) but it kind of makes sense, both small instruments, but a trumpet named after a grand piano?? Sorry but made me

You might try Getzen oil too, it seems to be really good stuff.

You really have to keep the junk out of the valves, even a few cat hairs or something like that can make them sluggish.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it is not an Upright Grand.
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends upon whether or not I point the bell toward the sky. In that case, I assume it could be an Upright Concert Grand. On a more serious note, it was made for only a few years in the 20's and features a .484 bore on the lower slide leg and, I think, a .460 or so bore on the top leg. Wonderful horn - very easy to play and in great shape for a horn that old.
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I buy and install new springs myself? Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I just buy some new (regular) springs and somehow unscrew my valve and add the springs in? Does it matter which springs I get in terms of brand? I saw someone posting about light Bach strad springs. I'd want regular or even something with more punch to it for sure. I just want them to pop back up with a ltitle more oomph than they're doing now.

Finding springs is easy. Most music repair stores would have them in stock. You shouldn't need guides unless they're beat up. I would drive the extra distance and let a professional give an ultrasonic clean while replacing those at the same time. There is film that develops on the valves that you just can't remove without the professional's magic.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML52K wrote:
There are several cleaners designed just for cleaning valves:

http://warburton-usa.com/index.php/clean-stroke-valve-wash

https://www.prestovalves.com/

This may be a direction to go to if valves are still sticky after a good bath. If really good cleaning doesn't change things tech consultation may be indicated.

I gave my Yamaha a good cleaning before selling it, and I think I got some lint or something into the valves, so I squirted 'em out with some "Nu-Trol Electronics Control Cleaner" and then they worked great.
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thetrumpetblog.com/put-a-spring-in-your-playing/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: