• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do you think of this guy?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: What do you think of this guy? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_Rkvs2ulY

Kurt Thompson

https://www.youtube.com/user/yourbrassinstructor/videos

At least in terms of teaching/technique for range here. Looks like a jazz player.

I stumbled across it when I was looking for trumpet spring info on youtube. There's something in it I need I think. It is interesting that he shows his tongue. You can actually take a look without it being odd being in person for that.
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SBpiYBieY

I think part of what I like is the camera angle. It's right up in his face so you can see his embouchure.

A good model of close playing maybe. Jazz thought so it is that kind of squealy for high notes.

And then there's crappy video/audio, internet, and my crappy speakers for audio, but there's enough to hear.

It's because there's something here that I'm still not getting I think. Tongue arch maybe or that and other things I've been focusing on....
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy is a whackadoodle. He can play high notes, but is NOT a jazz player. He has an amateur sense of swing and style at best.

There are some videos of his high school days playing MF stuff, and he's had high chops obviously since his teen years. And it looks like that's where he has stayed. Mentally and as a trumpeter this guy is stuck in his glory days of high school

He's a Maynard fanatic, to the point of obsession like I've never seen.

Kurt is obviously not performing anywhere or with anybody as he never posts videos of any performances with other living humans in the last decade or so. So instead, heis trying to be an internet trumpet guru. I'm sure he gets a handful of students who don't know what a snake oil salesman he is. But most know to stay away. He has very limited knowledge of a great many things. As the saying goes "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

The level of controversy with this guy is also unlike anything I've ever seen in our small industry. So many nice guy, proven professional trumpeters have been bashed by Kurt is a consistent fashion for years.

Sometimes he puts out a clever of funny video, but mostly just manic ramblings and narcissistic musings. The guy can play a double C, but nobody wants to play with him. So at the end of the day...who cares?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same guy who went off on the UNT 1:00 lab band, on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetTeacher/posts/1252512178165546

I've seen some of his other "musings" that seemed pretty odd. He seems a bit "out there" to say the least, just do a Facebook search of this guy, there is some pretty questionable stuff. Like Trumpet.sanity said, a lot of self-promotion, not a lot of evidence of him actually working much.

Brad
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I think of the guy? Well, he's the guy that has posted on facebook and sent private messages to people that are absolutely disgusting. He has posted/emailed anti-Semitic remarks, sexist, made disparaging remarks about world class trumpet players, sexually harassed others, etc..

He's not the real deal, not a jazz player. He's not a good person, not a good teacher, not someone we should promote.
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think of this guy? Reply with quote

trumpet_bob_silver wrote:
Looks like a jazz player.

You sure about that?
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I think of this guy?

I don't.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This individual seems to be emotionally and mentally unstable. Unfortunately you can't help someone who does not want to be helped. Perhaps someone who knows him well can have some kind of intervention.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have read ourselves or at least read about Kurt's antics in the past.

I just skimmed through the twenty minute video posted in the OP here. My thoughts about the video:

1) I think he overemphasizes the need to build strong face and lip muscles, and unless I missed it because I just watched parts of the video, I didn't see any spot where he talked about the need to build extraordinary blowing strength. It could very well be that from his frame of reference (he looks like a pretty big, solidly built guy) he didn't need to build much extra blowing strength. But most players do need to increase their air power strength significantly to reach into the range well above High C.

2) He clearly understands and uses properly the concept of dorsal tonguing, or as Claude Gordon called it, K-Tongue Modified tonguing, but like others, he keeps calling it "Anchor Tonguing" and actually tells listeners to "anchor" their tongue tips in the area behind the bottom front teeth. While one's tongue tip should be kept in that area, the idea of "anchoring" it or holding it rigidly in a particular spot is insane. The tongue should be kept relaxed and free to move as it needs to. As long as the tips stays somewhere in the area behind the bottom front teeth and doesn't climb above the tops of those bottom teeth, one is tonguing correctly in the way Herbert L. Clarke and later, Claude Gordon described.

3) He is right on the money when he tells the viewer that anyone can develop a good upper register and no once really needs to stay relagated to playing nothing but 3rd parts.

4) He's got a great upper register but really should work on improving his articulation, sound and accuracy in all the other registers. Maybe a slightly bigger mouthpiece might make articulations cleaner and more consistent (and yes, that might take a little of the power and edge off his highest notes, but in my opinion, the shift would make him a better sounding player).

5) The guy should be given credit for taking a LOT of time creating a LOT of videos with the goal of helping others achieve what he has (in terms of an upper register). He's clearly motivated by money, but there's nothing wrong with that. Choosing a way to serve others for compensation is what we all do, one way or another (at least hopefully that is what we do).

That's my opinion.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best recording of Kurt playing comes from his high school years:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff_goOFUcyc

He plays in tune, no whacky vibrato, clean sound up to and above high G.

And looks and sounds like he's playing on a Benge at this stage, and I think his sound is better in this tape, than anything recent he's posted.

And that mustache?? Priceless!!!

He's a very good player, and good be a great player. Kurt unfortunately is his own worse enemy.

His obsession with the high notes borders on just obsessive beyond anything I've seen, including junior high and high school players showing off there machismo.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then in this vid, he posts a quote like this in the YouTube comments

A poster asked a question:

"Can you cover one of Louis Dowdeswell's tunes like Let it Go or When You Wish Upon A Star? Would love to hear you play this "

Kurts response:

"how about this: Ask this #%*%+* ( Louis Dowdeswell) cover my version of Gabriel...no mic! I bet a ton of money he won't and can't do it. Hell Wayne Bergeron can't cover Gabriel with no mic because he has no chops. Bergeron relies on a very hot mic and a stand! I have a $1000 that says Bergeron can't play this LIVE, NO MIC better than my performance...that's more than Wayne makes doing a week of broadway at the Pantages!"

His own worse enemy.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not very popular on the Callet forum. Read this:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110682

Short version: he trialed a trumpet from Callet and instead of paying for it, he sent a bill for his review and for practicing on it. It got pretty nasty.

I also notice he has the top hit video for TCE on youtube. He doesn't explain the technique or demonstrate it - it's just him rambling on in a vague and generally negative way about what he thinks. Useless.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoustoufle wrote:
He's not very popular on the Callet forum. Read this:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110682

Short version: he trialed a trumpet from Callet and instead of paying for it, he sent a bill for his review and for practicing on it. It got pretty nasty.

I also notice he has the top hit video for TCE on youtube. He doesn't explain the technique or demonstrate it - it's just him rambling on in a vague and generally negative way about what he thinks. Useless.

Holy cow! Check this out, Kurt tried to sue Callet for $6200

https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/zsompjcy/superior-court-of-california-county-of-san-francisco/kurt-thompson-v-jerome-callet/

The case was dismissed, but still. Had to cost a few bucks for lawyer fees
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BFRPog5F_JU

Nailed it
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the guy plays danged good! But he's pretty puffed-up. Makes his videos darned cringeworthy.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play

Last edited by ATrumpetBrony on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoNameJustMe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the kinda guy that makes me slightly less proud to be a trumpet player. He's like every negative high school trumpet stereotype you can think of in one player. Huge ego, huge jerk, only cares about high notes.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:

Are you sure that's a HS band there? Sure does not look it to me.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

Are you sure that's a HS band there? Sure does not look it to me.

Might be college I guess. There was so much hair back in the 80s it's hard to tell.

So many mustaches!!

And I think this was the high point of his career, and mentally he's still living those glory days.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might win the most cringeworthy vid category

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBpygEyEjM
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Then in this vid, he posts a quote like this in the YouTube comments

A poster asked a question:

"Can you cover one of Louis Dowdeswell's tunes like Let it Go or When You Wish Upon A Star? Would love to hear you play this "

Kurts response:

"how about this: Ask this #%*%+* ( Louis Dowdeswell) cover my version of Gabriel...no mic! I bet a ton of money he won't and can't do it. Hell Wayne Bergeron can't cover Gabriel with no mic because he has no chops. Bergeron relies on a very hot mic and a stand! I have a $1000 that says Bergeron can't play this LIVE, NO MIC better than my performance...that's more than Wayne makes doing a week of broadway at the Pantages!"

His own worse enemy.

WOW!!!

I went to the YouTube video and sure enough, there it all is at the top of the comments. But then when I signed in to my YouTube account (was going to leave a reply sharing my experiences playing next to Bergeron as early as 1985 or so and how loud he can play), once I signed into my account, Kurt's ridiculous comments was gone.

https://s25.postimg.org/j6v6q28nj/Comment_gone.jpg

But then when I signed out of my account and returned to the video, there were his nasty comments back again! Very strange.

https://s25.postimg.org/x1th8j32n/Comment_there.jpg

Click on either of the images to open them full-size in a separate window.

That guy has SERIOUS mental health issues in my opinion.

Last edited by John Mohan on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: