• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Suitable French horn mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryBT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Suitable French horn mouthpiece Reply with quote

I am an moderately good amateur trumpet player who plays in a community band and a community orchestra. I am interested in learning to play the french horn to fill in when needed in the orchestra. What size french horn mouthpiece should I buy? My regular trumpet mouthpiece is a Schilke 15.
Yamaha 6810 Piccolo Trumpet
Bach FH600 Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a trumpeter/French hornist, I've played a number of mpcs. but keep coming back to the Schilke 30, the original Farkas model. You might give it a try.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard is a Holton Farkas MDC....kind of like the ubiquitous Bach 3C. I demo a lot for the horn players in my beginning band classes and I like something a little wider, like a Bach 11.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
The standard is a Holton Farkas MDC....kind of like the ubiquitous Bach 3C. I demo a lot for the horn players in my beginning band classes and I like something a little wider, like a Bach 11.

I think I have a Farkas somewhere. I'm not disagreeing with it's popularity. However, just thought I'd mention that the rims on many french horn mouthpieces - like the Farkas - are FAR thinner than almost any modern trumpet or cornet mouthpiece. Just so you know what to expect.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
However, just thought I'd mention that the rims on many french horn mouthpieces - like the Farkas - are FAR thinner than almost any modern trumpet or cornet mouthpiece.

And combined with the closeness of the horn partials, you end up with frustrated 6th grade horn players!

Honestly, the OP would probably be better off getting an Eb tenor horn and transposing the F horn parts.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the Denis Wick Paxman mouthpieces. Not expensive and very responsive. When I started playing horn again, I tried to match the diameter with my trumpet mouthpiece. It worked for a short time. Here's the issue. With the inherit instability of horn due to the close harmonics, a larger diameter piece really helps stabilize the sound and tone. I went a little larger in diameter for horn and everything really came together.

If you want specifics, I was playing a Curry 7 size trumpet mouthpiece, matched it with a Wick Paxman 9. But later increased it to a Wick Paxman 5.5 size. Now comes the other side of the coin. After playing many months on horn and mellophone, I've increase the diameter of the trumpet mouthpieces to a size Curry 3. Not the same diameter, but it works for me.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doubling on French Horn for 20 years, the best horn mp I have found is a Halsted-Paxman-Chidel 24 with an AX18 rim, very comfortable with a similar feel to a trumpet rim.

Regards, Stuart.
GaryBT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Honestly, the OP would probably be better off getting an Eb tenor horn and transposing the F horn parts.

Actually, I am buying a compensating double horn - essentially a Bb horn with an F attachment. We'll see how it works out for me.
Bach FH600 Flugelhorn
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For several years I sat next to a player that played transposed horn parts on an Eb Tenor horn, even giving him an old V cup tenor horn mouthpiece instead of the C cup he was using the sound just did not blend, I eventually convinced him to go back to Trumpet to the relief of the other horn players.

I play on the Bb side of a compensating horn, the only difficulties I experienced for a while was the change in fingering going between the two instruments.

Be prepared for a lot of donkey work, currently we are rehearsing Ravel Bolero, the 2nd horn (my chair) has 132 bars doubling the side drum on the one note in 18 bar sections alternating with the 4th horn.

Have fun.

Regards, Stuart.
GaryBT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart (stumac), do you have a fingering chart for a compensating french horn. I am assuming that the use of the thumb key is the opposite of a true double horn: Open on the higher notes (above second line G) and engaged for the lower F side notes.
Bach FH600 Flugelhorn
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Google French horn fingering chart, there are plenty on line, I do not have one.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule for the thumb trigger, my first compensating horn was a French Selmer, in F, trigger depressed goes to Bb, My Alexander 102ST the trigger linkage can be moved to move each way, because of arthritis in my left thumb I leave the trigger in Bb, press for F.

The main thing to watch on the Bb horn playing F parts is the second line G is very out of tune (1st valve), Better to play it open on the F side.

Regards, Stuart.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a certain extent, it depends on what part your are playing. 2nd and 4th usually get the low notes and as I remember, 1st and 3rd get the higher register.

I used a Bach 10 which had a wider than normal rim, then had a custom mouthpiece made up with a trumpet rim. Consider a mouthpiece with a wide rim since it will moderate your trumpet player approach to the horn.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryBT wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I am buying a compensating double horn - essentially a Bb horn with an F attachment. We'll see how it works out for me.

I will probably get arguments from confirmed horn players, but I use the F side of my double horn so little that I've thought about getting a quality single Bb instead. My mellophone is in Bb. I now think in that so fingering when playing F horn or trumpet is dicey. I just got a dedicated F mellophone and the fingering is trumpet even though the notes are F horn. Playing with my mind.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
To a certain extent, it depends on what part your are playing. 2nd and 4th usually get the low notes and as I remember, 1st and 3rd get the higher register.

I used a Bach 10 which had a wider than normal rim, then had a custom mouthpiece made up with a trumpet rim. Consider a mouthpiece with a wide rim since it will moderate your trumpet player approach to the horn.

This is an excellent point. I play third horn and I'm playing above the second horn and often playing when first and second are resting. It's like playing a second first part at times. I just switched to a Schilke 29 mouthpiece as it is a little shallower and sounds better in the upper range.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke 15A4a, and play all the horn parts up an octave (or two). That'll show 'em.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Faxx Farkas MC mouthpiece that worked out just fine. As I recall it was pretty inexpensive. Sam Ash advertised price is around $24. FWIW I use a Bach 3C rim on my Bb and a Yamaha 14F4 on the flugel and the transition to the French Horn piece was not at all unreasonable. With just about a month to acclimate I was able to play the Horn from the pedal register to the Bb above the staff which allowed me to play a production of Les Miserables. I believe it was an old Conn 8D that I borrowed from a local school for the run.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: