• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NO MORE AIRBALLS!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
Thanks for taking a look.
I'm using a 14b4 on trumpet and a 14f4 on flugel. Purportedly roughly the same sized rim with a (much) deeper cup and shorter shank. I've not been able to tell any difference in the *rim size* in just blind testing or use, but the difference blow on the horns might have something to do with it.

Dpn't try to blow a flugel, the way you would a trumpet. FL must be woo'd, like a woman.

I heart that straight from Chuck Mangione himself, as he was giving a clinic to a HS jazz band. He was great with those kids! But the point is that the approach to the instrument is different. The difficulties you're describing sound a lot like someone not accounting for that.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:

Specifically in my case I think cotton mouth is a contributing factor. It seems that the embouchure needs to make minute migratory adjustments as one plays & if the mouthpiece & lips aren't properly lubricated one will have some issues.

Has the equivalent of artificial tears for embouchure been invented yet?

Per Doc Reinhardt, drink lots of water before and during playing, and lubricate horn and lips before attempting to place the mpc. Very few players actually play better dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: