• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Easy songbook?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgarland11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Easy songbook? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Looking for a songbook that can be used for middle school level players. I have a student who really doesn't respond well(practice) to pretty much anything except pop/showtunes/etc.

Looking for something that has a lot of easy literature that stays more or less below G at the top of the staff and is musical/film/pop.

Thanks!

Brian G.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bolvinmusic.com/product/the-really-big-student-songbook/
bgarland11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
http://bolvinmusic.com/product/the-really-big-student-songbook/

Thanks! Looks it could be a solid resource.
Eddie Jeffries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy songbook? Reply with quote

bgarland11 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Looking for a songbook that can be used for middle school level players. I have a student who really doesn't respond well(practice) to pretty much anything except pop/showtunes/etc.

Looking for something that has a lot of easy literature that stays more or less below G at the top of the staff and is musical/film/pop.

Thanks!

Brian G.

You posted the same message in 3 different threads.

Fundamentals.
Literature.
Pedagogy.

bgarland11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy songbook? Reply with quote

Eddie Jeffries wrote:
bgarland11 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Brian G.

You posted the same message in 3 different threads.

Fundamentals.
Literature.
Pedagogy.

Yup. I've found it difficult to get responses sometimes so if I post in a couple related threads I might get a better response. If that's against the rules let me know and I can narrow it down. Just looking for some advice from colleagues.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote here for the Eric Bolvin Student Songbook. I've had a lot of success using it with my beginner students.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon said publicly concerning Bill, "In all my years of teaching, I have never had a student who understands how to teach trumpet as does Bill Knevitt."

https://qpress.ca/product/developing-trumpet-player-knevitt-pdf/
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Easy songbook? Reply with quote

bgarland11 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Brian G.

Hello Brian,
the Canadian Brass book of easy solos might fit your bill, although not pop or show tunes technically, they are familiar melodies that stay in the staff and has a play along Cd that has both backing tracks with a trumpet and without a trumpet playing along. Also Easy Disney solos is available for the trumpet as well and has some nice backing tracks as well.

regards,

tom
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, use Eric's book, but you can actually take it to the next level by "assigning" Jr a tune or two and tell him/her/it to come back next week, being able to play it by ear. Get students to develop that skill. As a 10 year old kid, I could "pick things" out on cornet almost immediately, even made IA All State twice almost completely by ear listening to friends going over the assigned etudes in neighboring practice rooms. The 12 major scales and chromatic were a snap.

Over the years, I found more than a few students who could do the same. Strange thing for them, as well as me back then- they all think everyone can do it. I often begin lessons by turning my back to a student, play a tone and ask them to match it. If you've not tried it, you'll be amazed at who can do it first attempt. You'll also find out quickly who is actually playing the horn outside of lessons. Being able to play by ear gave me many hours of playing time I would not have put in as a kid. Encourage it. Everyone ought to be able to play something they want to play, any time they feel like it. Students who can are less likely to sell the instrument the day after they leave HS. Good luck.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
By all means, use Eric's book, but you can actually take it to the next level by "assigning" Jr a tune or two and tell him/her/it to come back next week, being able to play it by ear. Get students to develop that skill. As a 10 year old kid, I could "pick things" out on cornet almost immediately, even made IA All State twice almost completely by ear listening to friends going over the assigned etudes in neighboring practice rooms. The 12 major scales and chromatic were a snap.

Over the years, I found more than a few students who could do the same. Strange thing for them, as well as me back then- they all think everyone can do it. I often begin lessons by turning my back to a student, play a tone and ask them to match it. If you've not tried it, you'll be amazed at who can do it first attempt. You'll also find out quickly who is actually playing the horn outside of lessons. Being able to play by ear gave me many hours of playing time I would not have put in as a kid. Encourage it. Everyone ought to be able to play something they want to play, any time they feel like it. Students who can are less likely to sell the instrument the day after they leave HS. Good luck.

This is really tremendous advice, I learned to play by ear first when my brother gave me a trumpet and played the melodies on his guitar for me to mimick. I got pretty good at it fairly quickly, I focused on the tune not the horn, The first song i ever learned to play was the theme to the TV show Mannix. What a cool jazz tune. I couldn't read music but i could play that cool tune by ear. It took 4 years of bad high school instruction and playing to drum that natural ability to hear out of my system. But getting back to the OP's music ideas, I am a fan of Hal Leonard and any other play alongs for young players. The one's i mentioned in my previous post are good starting points.

regards,

tom
bgarland11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:

This is really tremendous advice, I learned to play by ear first when my brother gave me a trumpet and played the melodies on his guitar for me to mimick. I got pretty good at it fairly quickly, I focused on the tune not the horn, The first song i ever learned to play was the theme to the TV show Mannix. What a cool jazz tune. I couldn't read music but i could play that cool tune by ear. It took 4 years of bad high school instruction and playing to drum that natural ability to hear out of my system. But getting back to the OP's music ideas, I am a fan of Hal Leonard and any other play alongs for young players. The one's i mentioned in my previous post are good starting points.

regards,

tom

Hi Guys,

Yup I've tried! I totally agree and have my students bring in work by ear all the time. He actually has a pretty good ear too, but just won't do it. Not sure if he's lazy or just needs something tangible to actually play. This kid is a struggle, but I'm trying to make it work a little longer. Thanks again for the suggestions!
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgarland11 wrote:
KRELL1960 wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:

regards,

tom

Hi Guys,

Yup I've tried! I totally agree and have my students bring in work by ear all the time. He actually has a pretty good ear too, but just won't do it. Not sure if he's lazy or just needs something tangible to actually play. This kid is a struggle, but I'm trying to make it work a little longer. Thanks again for the suggestions!

You can bring a horse to water, ...

good luck

t
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love Craig's advice. Learning tunes by ear has been the foundation of my musical life. I picked tune out on the piano and the trumpet, and no one ever discouraged me.

The OP might want to consider some kind of reward - learn 5 tunes by ear and he gets ice cream. Ask him what would motivate him.

And now that darned Mannix theme is playing non-stop in my head...

That guy Lalo Schifrin certainly has made a huge contribution to TV and movie tunes which stick in your head.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:

The OP might want to consider some kind of reward - learn 5 tunes by ear and he gets ice cream. Ask him what would motivate him.
Funny how much things have changed over the years- when I was going through my formal education it was always LEARN IT OR ELSE. Pain, or lack thereof, usually motivated us.

For some great motivation, I'd also suggest in this world of modern technology that people look into using Smart Music. If that had been around when I was 11 I'd have made a career out of playing. It's great stuff!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
veery715 wrote:

Funny how much things have changed over the years- when I was going through my formal education it was always LEARN IT OR ELSE. Pain, or lack thereof, usually motivated us. I'd have made a career out of playing. It's great stuff!
Oh, you are so right. Unfortunately my piano teacher's Stalag Piano methods put of me off piano lessons forever. Between my various teachers it is amazing I still have any interest in music at all. I guess I owe what remains to my parents, who made sure I was thoroughly infected before I was ten.
jazzchamp08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the answer of Canadian Brass Book of Easy trumpet solos. They also have a couple other versions too based on level.

Also check out "The Trumpet Collection" - I would say anything with play along tracks will get them more motivated. You can even use some of the Hal Leonard jazz books. Those were great as I started out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: