• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Temporary mouthpiece switch advice wanted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KHH73

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Temporary mouthpiece switch advice wanted Reply with quote

This may be a case of me counting my chickens before they hatch but I nonetheless thought it would be a good idea to get some advise from this community.
I am a primarily a classical player and a good 98% of my gigs fall nicely into that category: church services, orchestras, wind bands, etc... As such my day to day mouthpiece is a Bach 1 1/4 C mouthpiece with very occasional stints on a similarly sized Monette B2.
I recently submitted an audition video for a local amusement park that is seeking to hire a trumpet position for a jazz/pops related show this summer. For this video I played on a Hammond mouthpiece that seems to be in the neighborhood of a Bach 5C. I did this as I was looking to put just a little more sizzle to the sound as I was playing a Jack Mack as well as a Tower of Power number. I received a callback and will play live for them tomorrow and am now starting to fear the possibility of getting this gig where I would play something in the neighborhood of 220 shows over the summer.
My question is this. If you were a classical player regularly playing on a Bach 1 1/4 C and were hired to do a jazz/pops gig for an extended period of time, assuming the book will require a small boost to range and a little sizzle to the sound, what mouthpiece would you consider using in order to get you through the job while at the same time not destroying your ability to play on the Bach 1 1/4 C?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by KHH73 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reserve the right to be wrong but I would think you need to practice on both to acclimate yourself to switching between them.

Btw - have you tried any of the Bach Commercial mp's? I recently tried a BC 3S and don't feel like it's a huge leap between that and a 1C but definitely more sizzle.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regular mouthpiece is a 1.25C. When I have to (try to) sound like a lead player I use a GR 67MS, which is essentially the same rim diameter with a shallower cup. For me, that works better than using a smaller diameter, but that's me. I use a smaller diameter on piccolo trumpet and I know many classical players who do use a smaller diameter for their commercial setup. Experiment with both and see what works.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it works out. You are on the right track...right tool for the job isn't a 1 1/4C. The tough part is that you'll get countless opinions on the right set up. You'll just have to find what works best for you. If you normally play an orchestral set up, you may find trying something smaller but not too extreme works best. I'd start by trying something in the 3 range with a slightly shallower cup. Curry 3M, Bach 3D, Yamaha 14B4 or some equivalent. I would spend a few minutes each day (perhaps a warm down) on the 1 1/4 so it still feels familiar. As I was writing, the advice above this post popped up, may be a good road as well.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a similar rim with more "sizzle", try a Curry 1.25* (Star). Good luck w/ the gig!
KHH73

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice you are sending my way. I hadn't thought to do a daily warm-up on the 1 1/4 C. That would be a great way to keep it from becoming foreign over the summer. I'd hate to get back to my regular routine in September and find my ability to play it too far gone.

In regards to the other ideas you have had...I had been thinking about both the GR route as well as the Bach 3D. I'll have to educate myself on the Curry pieces as they are just not on my radar.

A question for you Nonsense Eliminator: Does the GR mouthpiece you suggest have any "lip room" in it? I want to avoid that cramped feeling like you get with a Schilke 13A4A as I suspect that would not be able to maintain a buzz for long in something like that.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I don't know if this will help - I don't have a great answer for a mouthpiece to use, but I have a story that illustrates the very thing you are talking about.

When I was about 27, I got a gig playing in a Latin band. Prior to that, I was a 1 horn, 1 mouthpiece player - at the time it was a Bach Strad L/25, and a Marcinkiewicz #2 mouthpiece - maybe not as large as a 1.25C, but it's pretty big.

I was on the 2nd book for this gig, but it was still beating me up trying to make that gig work on that setup. I started trying to do the whole mouthpiece switch-a-roo thing with a Schilke 14A4a mouthpiece a friend had given me to use with pic - basically, if a line was coming up that had some higher stuff, I'd try to swap it in for the Marcinkiewicz, and I only had limited success with that.

One night, I got to the gig, and the only mouthpiece I had in my case was the 14A4a - I'd forgotten the other one in my bugle case at Fort Myer. (I was in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corp at the time) I had no choice but to play the gig on the Schilke.

The first set was pretty rough, but by the end of the second set, I'd gotten to where it was ok, and overall, it made the gig considerably easier. I continued to use the Marcinkiewicz for my classically oriented playing, but I continued to use the Schilke 14A4a, and then later a 14A4, for any commercial-type playing from that point forward - a span that lasted from 1997-2015.

This is just a suggestion, but you could try calling someone like GR, or maybe Warburton to see what they'd suggest. I talked to Ken Titmus at Warburton back in 2015, and he turned me on to my current lead setup - a 4SVW/KT. I think he hit the nail on the head and I like it a lot. From what I gather, Ken is pretty good at doing over-the-phone consultations and getting players set up with something that works well for them.

Keep us posted!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHH73 wrote:
I appreciate the advice you are sending my way. I hadn't thought to do a daily warm-up on the 1 1/4 C. That would be a great way to keep it from becoming foreign over the summer. I'd hate to get back to my regular routine in September and find my ability to play it too far gone.

In regards to the other ideas you have had...I had been thinking about both the GR route as well as the Bach 3D. I'll have to educate myself on the Curry pieces as they are just not on my radar.

A question for you Nonsense Eliminator: Does the GR mouthpiece you suggest have any "lip room" in it? I want to avoid that cramped feeling like you get with a Schilke 13A4A as I suspect that would not be able to maintain a buzz for long in something like that.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

The Curry standard series rims are based on Mt. Vernon Bach rims -- each diameter has it's own contour like Bach. This page has the info on the cups. He has three pieces he calls "Medium Shallow", but the STAR is based on a Purviance design and has a lot of chop room at the top -- it's a very bowl shaped cup with a good commercial sound. I like Curry STAR pieces when I need a bigger piece that sounds more like a commercial piece.

Plus, Curry pieces are fairly cheap compared to some other options.

Good luck on your journey.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary mouthpiece switch advise wanted Reply with quote

KHH73 wrote:
My question is this. If you were a classical player regularly playing on a Bach 1 1/4 C and were hired to do a jazz/pops gig for an extended period of time, assuming the book will require a small boost to range and a little sizzle to the sound, what mouthpiece would you consider using in order to get you through the job while at the same time not destroying your ability to play on the Bach 1 1/4 C?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Bob Reeves 43C. One of my best students is finishing up his trumpet performance degree and plans a career in orchestral music. He's been playing on a Mt Vernon 1-1/4C (a real one) for years. For his school big band and for outside jazz/rock gigs he uses a 43C (it was my recommendation) and it works great for him.

My orchestral mouthpiece is a Mt Vernon 3C rim blended with a 3B cup and as such, it's basically very similar to a 1-1/4C in terms of rim size (it's kind of like a deeper version of a 1-1/4C). The inner cup diameter of my mouthpiece is a little smaller than that of the 1-1/4C but the rim contour and thickness of the MV3C is very similar to that of the 1-1/4C and that's what accounts most for how a mouthpiece feels on the face. I find the transition to the Bob Reeves 43C or 43M cups to be very easy.

One particular attribute of the Reeves C and M cups I've found in no other brand or design, is that in the low to middle registers they sound nice and warm, but as you hit the higher notes, it's almost like an afterburner kicks in and the sound is bright and powerful, and the notes in the High C and above range seem to require less physical effort to play. The other shallow mouthpieces I've tried always are too bright and thin sounding down low, and with some of them, despite their bright sounds, the upper register does not feel any easier from a physical standpoint to play than on my bigger, deeper mouthpieces. In these regards there's almost something magic about the Reeves pieces. Which is why they are expensive, but also why at least a plurality, if not a majority of professional commercial players play on them.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a good "lead" setup from GR, Curry or Reeves you might consider replacing your Bach 1.25C with a legit piece from that same manufacturer. That could help alleviate some of the transitions concerns.

Another possible option might be the Schilke Symphony series. Their symphonic pieces are well reviewed (I like mine) and more recently they offer the same rim in both conventional and commercial versions. (Caveat being that I'd recommend getting them sleeved because my haven't fit my Bach receiver well and sleeves allowed me to optimize how they play)
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67CT-Z.

This is a commercial mouthpiece designed specifically for players who are used to playing larger mouthpieces!
This model features a medium alpha angle for tons of chop room, a high compression cup, high compression #1 GR backbore, and the C-T rim that many players are familiar with.
If you are a symphonic player and need a high compression mouthpiece for pops or commercial work, this is the one!

Feel free to email me for more details. grmouthpieces@gmail.com

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the smaller Hammond that got you the gig is an option, I'd probably go that way - why change a winning formula?

If that ID felt too small but you liked the rim, cup profile and blow resistance... Why not a Hammond with the same cup/throat/backbore but in a larger ID?

There's no reason to consider Hammond's pieces as a stopgap, IMHO they're right up there as one of the very best I've played.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not listen to Mr. Mohan. He's the pro.

Steve
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Why not listen to Mr. Mohan. He's the pro.

Steve

Or Brian Scriver - he's the mouthpiece consultant at GR.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick!

KHH73, depending on how shallow you can actually go and what you need for support, a GR M cup may be all you need. There happens to be a 67M for sale in the Marketplace right now.

Bri

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
67CT-Z.

This is a commercial mouthpiece designed specifically for players who are used to playing larger mouthpieces!
This model features a medium alpha angle for tons of chop room, a high compression cup, high compression #1 GR backbore, and the C-T rim that many players are familiar with.
If you are a symphonic player and need a high compression mouthpiece for pops or commercial work, this is the one!

Feel free to email me for more details. grmouthpieces@gmail.com

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com

Not to utterly hijack this thread but is there a similar piece for a player who uses a small vintage Bach 3C (about a Yamaha 14B4)? I'm sensitive to alpha angle and always seem to fail with shallow pieces.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Brian Scriver.

Steve
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also recommend Mark Curry's mouthpieces.. a well ballanced design. For me the rim consistency throughout a series is a huge plus. I play on the 3's (which is in the Bach 2 neighborhood) and enjoy being able to go from my legit pieces to the commercial ones to the cornets without notice of a feel change.

I will add that I also love Bob Reeves pieces, 43C was and is still a favorite..

After I retired from the Air Force Bands and was buying all of my equipment myself Reeves became a touch less attractive..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, No worries!

Cheiden,
For a player using 3C who wants a little more compression, yet can not play shallow mouthpieces, look at the 3S-B or 66S-B. Our S-B cups are high compression but still have a decent amount of chop room to prevent the dreaded bottoming out. Also check the 3M, 66M, 3MS, 66MS.

We don't offer trials but check a dealer near you, or if there are none, talk to Jaime at Thompson Music in Nebraska as they can ship to you and they offer a generous return policy.

If you really like that 3 rim, also check out Dan Fornero's Series: http://grmouthpieces.com/dan-fornero.html
You may like the 2294.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions: grmouthpieces@gmail.com

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHH73 wrote:

Just to be clear, while I like the GR, I'm sure there are many similar mouthpieces out there which may or may not work for you -- I haven't tried them. There are some things about the GR mouthpieces I've tried that I'm not crazy about (which is why I still play the Bach) but I will say that they tend to be very efficient mouthpieces, which is what I want (need?) in a lead mouthpiece. Plus it happened that I could get my mitts on one.

Anyway, to at long last answer your question -- yes, I find there to be plenty of room in that mouthpiece, and I think that I tend to play with a fair amount of lip engagement. It's not a terribly shallow mouthpiece, just enough to make things work for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: