• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Temporary mouthpiece switch advice wanted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned that you use a Monette B2 occasionally. Have you considered the Monette B2LD S1? It is the same rim rim with a shallower cup, along the lines of a Bach 1.25D. You could get it in the XLT weight for added "sizzle."

Also, I find the transition between Bach 1.25 and Pickett Brass 1.25 to be fairly easy. The Pickett Brass mouthpieces are available in 12 (!) cup depths, so another potentially easy transition option would be to get a Pickett Brass 1.25 CD or D.

Good luck!
matahaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in school, I switched from a 1.25 C bach to a 67CX, and a few years later to a 67CT (and 67C** for C trumpet). Our school had many musicals and to get the sizzle and sound, I did a consultation with Steve Emery then and settled with a 67CTZ. It worked well for me then and I still keep the mouthpiece, but these few years its been mostly classical and no musicals (in Taiwan).

I have seen many people do wonders on other mouthpieces, but I would definitely advise you to use another mouthpiece if you get the gig. Before you get the gig though, it might be helpful to just play on the Hammond first and experiment warming up daily with both of them and see where it takes you (or not).
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a pill, but this just drives me nuts...

ADVISE- a verb. Example: "I advise you not to do this".

ADVICE- a noun. Example: "Please give me some advice".

And no, my own grammer and word choice are not perfect.

Steve
KHH73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**grammar
KHH73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the audition for those interested:
So I showed up for the live callback audition on Saturday about an hour early so I could get my chops going and make some last minute tweaks. As the designated time of 6:00 approached I was noticing how few musicians and specifically, trumpet players, seemed to be there. When 6:00 came the only folks in the warm area were myself, a sax player and a cello player.
The girl managing the audition came in to collect us and took us to the band room where we met the panel of entertainment management, the two show designers, and the musical director. They explained they were only hiring for three spots. Then, each of us performed our two minutes of prepared music. The cello and sax player were both very good. For my part I performed a bit of Stardust as played by Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show Band as well as a little arrangement of All of Me. ***Note*** I can't scream the way Doc does by a long shot. I played a nice little snippet that tops out at a C and just used the piece to show off a big sound and some lyricism.
I began the All of Me bit with a plunger at fairly soft volume and brought to a big, open, big-band-ish conclusion in an attempt to demonstrate an understanding of dynamic contrast in music. The panel seemed to be delighted with the performances that each of us provided and were very complimentary.
They then handed out two arrangements for us to sight-read as a section while the musical director accompanied on piano. One of the pieces was an arrangement of Radiohead's Creep (interesting) and I don't recall the name of the other. We started the first piece which began with a tenor sax line. It sounded a bit wonky and I quickly realized that the tenor sax part and trumpet parts had not been transposed...the key on the page was one flat (F major). The music director stopped us and was quite embarrassed and apologetic as he realized he forgot to transpose the parts.
When I mentioned the sax player and I could just read it up a step and in the key of G major the panel seemed super impressed (thank you very much classical trumpet playing transposing experience. haha) To his credit, the sax player made the change perfectly and we did, in my opinion, an honorable reading of both pieces.
Now regarding the mouthpiece issue. I was astonished at how simple the trumpet parts were. Between both arrangements the highest I ever had to go was a G on top of the staff. I may have overestimated what the demands of this gig will be should I get it. I was playing on the smallish Hammond mouthpiece for the reading and in the back of my mind kept thinking I would be fine on the ol' Bach 1.25 C.
Regardless of how the book turns out or if I even get the gig or not, I am still going to take the great advice of many of you on this post and invest in one or two commercial mouthpiece options just so that I have them and don't have to scramble next time one is needed.
( this post was written off the top of my head and not proof-read as I am at work at the moment. I apologize in advance for any misspellings or grammar errors contained within and will edit this for posterity later when I have more time) Thanks much!!

Last edited by KHH73 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! it sounds to me like it went very well.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3C Dot.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHH73 wrote:
I appreciate the advice you are sending my way. I hadn't thought to do a daily warm-up on the 1 1/4 C. That would be a great way to keep it from becoming foreign over the summer. I'd hate to get back to my regular routine in September and find my ability to play it too far gone.

In regards to the other ideas you have had...I had been thinking about both the GR route as well as the Bach 3D. I'll have to educate myself on the Curry pieces as they are just not on my radar.

A question for you Nonsense Eliminator: Does the GR mouthpiece you suggest have any "lip room" in it? I want to avoid that cramped feeling like you get with a Schilke 13A4A as I suspect that would not be able to maintain a buzz for long in something like that.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

That "cramped feeling" can be an asset. As when your chops hit the floor of a mouthpiece it can give a good assist into the upper register.

The commercial/pop business has a lot of gigs but I only rarely hear local trumpet players pull them off well. Perhaps it is caused by this large mouthpiece emphasis. Invariably the trumpet players I meet who struggle are using pieces near the Bach 1&1/2 in size. Its predictable. I see the white ring permanently burned into their upper lip.

A far better solution in most cases would be to really open up the throat and back bore combination on a mouthpiece in the medium range. Later if you become a lead player you can shift shallower as needed to pull off the register required.

Another benefit of this kind of "smart playing" is that your chops do not need to constantly remain in their peak capacity. As I've always found that when maintaining my chops in the most extreme capacity to take on endurance and power demands that I'm constantly riding the edge of playing on over trained chops.

Over trained chops are the lead players nightmare. Sure he could pull off a lead gig on standard mouthpieces. Once anyway. But "once" wont get you through a whole season.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busted.
KHH73

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Winghorn! I'm glad you put it on my radar. Like you, I enjoy quality writing with attention to details but sometimes, particularly when time is short, I overlook things just as we all do!

My big pet peeves are sloppy use of to, too, two, there, they're, and they're. I also roll my eyes big time if I hear or see "irregardless"!
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kevin.

How about "your" and "you're"?

Your: a possessive pronoun.

You're: A contraction for you are.

Is that your trumpet?

You're welcome.

If you're going to... etc.

Steve
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHH73 wrote:
**grammar

*mic drop* hahaha

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely out of curiosity - what model of Hammond piece was it you used?

I'm guessing a 6 rim if it felt like a 5C kind of ID to you, just curious really.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

Just ordered online a GR 67 CT Z to add to my mouthpiece collection (shhh, don't tell my wife i did it again)!

Very excited as this will be my first GR one.

Regards
Pierre
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no shame for using different mouthpieces for different playing situations. For me it is about finding the right tool for the job. I agree with what was said earlier, you need to practice on both setups if you are using both regularly.
KHH73

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audition results update- I won the audition and was offered the job. Unfortunately the amount of pay they offered was far below the minimum figure I would have even considered, so I declined.

They will be coming back to me this week with a better offer. We will wait and see though I'm not holding my breath.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC wrote:
Hi everybody!

Just ordered online a GR 67 CT Z to add to my mouthpiece collection (shhh, don't tell my wife i did it again)!

Very excited as this will be my first GR one.

Regards
Pierre

Just to update with a huge thumbs up for this mouthpiece. First of all, the buying and shipping experience was not only piece-of-cake, but also incredibly nice and pleasant! The piece arrived in no time across the Atlantic and if I only post now about it, this is for two reasons. One, I am lazy and slow; two, I really wanted to use some time trying the mouthpiece and getting it used in context before making a judgement.

And let me say that this mouthpiece exceeded all my expectations! In fact, I used it in rehearsal playing lead in my big band and got the whole band and conductor all excited, telling me I rocked and my sound was fantastic!! Has never happened to me before, even when I thought I had played like a god!

And if that was not enough, it feels very comfortable and I can change back and forth with my other mouthpieces without discomfort.

So thanks a lot to the GR team for a great job and a result worth every penny!
Cheers,
Pierre
LulaNord

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...i am a new user here. In my case when I have to sound like a lead player I use a GR 67MS, which is essentially the same rim diameter with a shallower cup. For me, that works better than using a smaller diameter, but that's me. I use a smaller diameter on piccolo trumpet and I know many classical players who do use a smaller diameter for their commercial setup.

circuits assembly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: