• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Plastic Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Plastic Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I'm just a middle-aged amateur player who mostly plays at church. But I've been practicing much more frequently the last couple of years or so, and have seen some significant improvements in my playing. I've mostly played on a Bach 5C, but I purchased a Schilke 14A4a a couple of years ago, and play now quite a bit on that. However, just for fun, I bought a plastic trumpet several months ago. It came with a plastic 7C mouthpiece. It didn't dawn on me until a few weeks ago to even try the plastic mouthpiece on my regular horn. The first thing I noticed was that I love that it's at room temperature. It makes warming up much more pleasant. However, it does of course mellow the sound quite a bit.

One positive benefit is that I seemed to gain quite a bit of control on my lip slurs. After reading some on TH and other places, it seems that would be expected with a 7C. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but I would guess the shallowness of the cup???

When it comes to range, an odd benefit is that mentally I think I worry about breaking the plastic mouthpiece if I put too much pressure on it. But that is a wonderful thing for me, as someone who grew up using way too much pressure to try and hit high notes. The real thing that surprised me, though, is that I can't seem to tell any difference in range between the plastic 7C and my other mouthpieces. As a matter of fact, my range has improved quite a bit, and I can even hit a Double C with the plastic mouthpiece (it's not solid yet, but I can hit it most days)

So my questions are: 1) Do you have a recommendations for anywhere that might sell a plastic rim/cup but with a metal shank; 2) Does such an approach keep the benefits of the plastic rim/cup but without deadening the sound; and 3) What would be some good resources to understand mouthpiece basics and the associated trade-offs in design.

Thanks so much for your time.

Steve
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! Solid questions and I'm impressed with your self awareness.. excellent.

IMO you're comparing not only the material the mouthpieces are made of (plastic vs. brass) but also size differences (7C vs 5C)

First about the mouthpieces: I am not a fan, in general, of Bach's 5C it tends to be deaper that most C cups and the rim is contoured in such a way that it doesn't set you up for the clearest attacks. So my overall impression is that it tends to be a touch on the unfocussed side. I much prefer the shape (rim and cup) of the 7C as a suggested mouthpiece not only to begin on but if you are looking for a mid-sized mouthpiece. Bach 7C is a well balanced mouthpiece.

I also discourage the Schilke and Yamaha 14a4a's... I view them as a specialty mouthpiece, for those players living in the upper register who have a mature embouchure. And again the rim and shallowness take away from fundamentals in the mid and lower registers, I think can slow down a developing player's progression.
I'd suggest staying with the 7C and keep practicing (I'd get a brass one), sounds like you've got a solid approach...

Plastic, nice and smooth and great on a cold day! But as you've probably noticed with the entire mouthpiece being plastic the tone loses some depth.

Yes, there are makers that have 2 and 3 piece designs that you could, for instance, put a plastig rim on a brass underpart. Not all that uncommon.

Just a couple names to start your research: Terry Warburton, Pickett Brass, Bob Reeves, GR Mouthpieces, MouthpieceExpress will cut mouthpiece (same threading design as Warburton's 2 piece)...

I'm sure the Forum will suggest a slew of others.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: