• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music Folder Management

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Music Folder Management Reply with quote

Here's a question for anyone who has a band (or is in one, for that matter). What system do you use for having the right music at a rehearsal and/or gig without having to carry the whole bloomin' library around with you?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Number each piece. Calling by numbers is a very effective and practical solution that makes shuffling through parts a lot easier.
2) Go digital. I have begun making this transition. After a bit more startup investment in both money for the equipment, and time in PDFing the library, it has made things hugely simpler for me, and I recommend it as an option depending on capacity and needs.
lewins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend an iPad, but either the regular size one or the iPad Pro, not the mini. It's automatically backlit, and even the ones with the smallest amount of memory (16GB) is more than enough to store your entire sheet music library. There are several apps that can help organize your sheet music, but the one I really like is forScore, and I think it's only around $15. The only challenge might be digitizing your music if it's not already in PDF or JPG format.

The other bonus is that you get GarageBand for free, and that app will keep you busy for a long time. For example, it's real easy to setup a drum track for your practice routines, which is a lot more enjoyable to use than any metronome.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRoberts8 wrote:
1) Number each piece. Calling by numbers is a very effective and practical solution that makes shuffling through parts a lot easier.

Not exactly relevant, but in Josh Landress' shop he keeps a nice display case of Clark Terry memorabilia, including horns, mutes, cases, and an old numbered set list so you can see the tunes they were calling. Pretty rad.

And yes, numbering tunes is the way to go.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely number everything and organize by number, not name. And there's talk of going digital but not everyone is in this century yet.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One band I'm in has a librarian who keeps a bunch of boxes in her basement--I mean a lot. She stuffs folders and gets help carting them back and forth. It's a big job, and I heard about it only because she's turning it over to another librarian.

Another band I'm in doesn't have a librarian. The music director scans the parts as PDFs and sends them to members via emails with links to download the parts from his box.com account (sort of like Dropbox). Members download the parts and either print them and put them into their own binders or upload them to their iPads (that's what I do, after I upload it to my Dropbox account).

I much prefer the second arrangement because I don't have to scan parts. Either way, the Dropbox and iPad arrangement means I can fetch any part I need during rehearsal from my Dropbox account without lugging around a huge binder full of parts.
Piccolo Stomvi
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the iPad and Forscore. I condensed two massive folders of music into the iPad - several humdred charts, and there's plenty of room for more. I hated carting around those binders.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is numbered. The various books max out at 250 tunes per book (which means one of my bands has 6 folders, which get rotated through). That leader keeps a database of what's been played lately. Make sure your band librarian is treated well.
SALUKIGUY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not clear on how to get the sheet music onto the I-pad. Can someone explain please? Not carrying 400 charts around sounds like a dream.
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SALUKIGUY wrote:
I am not clear on how to get the sheet music onto the I-pad. Can someone explain please? Not carrying 400 charts around sounds like a dream.

You'll have to source the files, either by finding the original PDF's, or by scanning them in yourself. There are apps that do fantastic jobs of creating the files from photos taken by your tablet, if yours has a camera.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SALUKIGUY wrote:

1. Get the sheet music into PDF files. For example, Qpress.ca sells trumpet solos and method books in PDF. Or, if all you have is a paper copy, you can scan it and save the scan as a PDF file. For example, I have a 3-in-1 inkjet printer that also has a scanner.

2. I save the PDF files to a Dropbox folder. Dropbox allows people to set up a personal account to store files online. Small storage is available at no charge. If you store a lot of stuff, you would need to upgrade to a paid account.

3. Buy software for the iPad called ForScore. It makes it easy to use the iPad to display PDF files of music. It allows things like set lists, annotations, downloading PDF files from Dropbox, and my favorite feature: links, which make it easy to jump from one part of the music to another spot on a different page. Touch the blue link dot on a page and it jumps to the destination page and lights up the spot where you start reading. Great feature!

4. Get a bluetooth foot pedal that connects with the iPad so you can turn pages by tapping a pedal. I use an Air Turn BT-100 foot pedal.

5. Don't forget to charge the iPad and foot pedal before you go to rehearsal or performance. For pit orchestra, I bring the charging cables in a bag in case I need to recharge. (So far, I've usually remembered to recharge, knock-on-wood. I did forget for one rehearsal and had to set the iPad in power save mode.)

6. Practice at home with the foot pedal before your first attempt at a rehearsal or performance. It isn't difficult, but there's a chance you might have a burst of enthusiasm while playing and tap the pedal when you didn't intend to do that, which means you turn a page and might lose your place. Practice at home to break that habit before you take it out.

That's it! I use it for rehearsals and performances. I've used it in pit orchestra for musicals. It works really well.
Piccolo Stomvi
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the ipad, but expecting an entire big band to have them, particularly when you often have subs for a gig or rehearsal, is silly. A few people might do it on their own, to good effect, but you'll still need the hard copy book(s) anyway.

Plus, many players just... how do I put this? Don't know jack about electronics and couldn't set up their own book without help.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I agree about the ipad, but expecting an entire big band to have them, particularly when you often have subs for a gig or rehearsal, is silly. A few people might do it on their own, to good effect, but you'll still need the hard copy book(s) anyway.

Plus, many players just... how do I put this? Don't know jack about electronics and couldn't set up their own book without help.

Yeah, the bands I'm in have only a few iPad users. But the jazz band successfully uses electronic distribution of music. All of the members have access to computers, email, the internet, and printers so they can print their own parts and maintain their own binders. The music director sends links to the parts to the subs in advance so they can print their own parts and bring them to the rehearsal and performance. If there's a member or sub who's completely off-the-grid, I haven't heard about it, and it would be a rare exception.
Piccolo Stomvi
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Charts at gig Reply with quote

Being your own librarian is one of the most unpleasant things about having a band. That said, it's something you have to do and to make this easier (and lighter) estimate the length of the gig and pick tunes to cover the time and add extras for security. You may need several sets of folders to cover different gigs and most music stores are glad to give them to you. I'm not a fan of the electronic items some are using now. For my old eyes they are too small and only good under the correct lighting conditions which usually are found only in your practice room.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a large photocopier at my work with a sheet feeder which will automatically scan and send to a nominated email address. Very cool and time saving except for dog eared or taped pages which catch in the feeder and they have to be done by hand.
eyeshouldbebetter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Handling the charts Reply with quote

I've been using an app on my iPads, it keeps all of the music there, and you don't have lighting issues if you play a venue that is dark. Also, your music won't blow off the stand. Issue for me: the size of the page is about half of what sheet music is, and is pixillated, so it can be a struggle to see clearly.
eyeshouldbebetter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: iPads Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I used to use a bluetooth device to change pages, but I didn't like that as much as just having two iPads. That way if you have to repeat or DS or go to the Coda, you can have that page at the ready and don't have to suddenly find it when the page changes.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: iPads Reply with quote

eyeshouldbebetter wrote:
Issue for me: the size of the page is about half of what sheet music is, and is pixillated, so it can be a struggle to see clearly.

Apple makes a large iPad that shows music at maybe 93% of full size (depending on how tightly you crop the scan) when the iPad is in portrait mode. And if you flip it on its side (landscape mode), the display is actually larger than the printed music (it doesn't show the entire page vertically when flipped on its side, but not a problem with a foot pedal to advance through the music). I used to use the regular-size iPad in landscape mode but always use the larger one in portrait mode.

Not sure why your music appears pixilated on an iPad. I scan my music at 200 DPI and it's really clear. I could go to a higher DPI, but 200 seems good enough. I've accidentally scanned at 70 DPI and agree that it doesn't look good on the iPad or on a computer screen.

eyeshouldbebetter wrote:
I forgot to mention, I used to use a bluetooth device to change pages, but I didn't like that as much as just having two iPads. That way if you have to repeat or DS or go to the Coda, you can have that page at the ready and don't have to suddenly find it when the page changes.

You should check out the "links" feature in the ForScore app. You set the starting point for the jump and the destination, which can be on another page. When you're reading the music the jump point shows as a large blue dot that you touch with your finger when you're ready to jump. As soon as you touch it, the software jumps to the destination page, and a yellow-orange dot glows where you put the destination spot so you can find your place immediately. It's s-o-o-o much better than anything with paper copies. I recently played in a show that had complicated multi-page jumps, and the links feature made it a breeze.
Piccolo Stomvi
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be perceived as a Luddite, but I personally prefer paper charts to using IPads etc.

Too many things can and do go wrong. Run out of battery, no place to plug in. Swiping endlessly looking for a misplaced chart. Lighting. Needing another device to quickly change pages. Accidentally deleting charts, files at the worst time.

Plus, I also can never see as well and just prefer paper.

I am cool with scanning the charts, so there is a back up for lost charts. But otherwise, I'd rather show up and have charts in front of me.

A short email with the set list a day before the gig or rehearsal should be enough for the players to organize their book.
eyeshouldbebetter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: iPads Reply with quote

@dstdenis: my main problem with visibility is I have the "normal" sized iPads. Not the mini (thank God), but not a larger one either. And then...I have older eyes. But I do like your suggestion on the FourScore app. That sounds like a great feature to be able to go straight to the right spot. Thanks for the tip, my Trumpet Brother!
Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: