• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tips for a beginner who's not allowed to play in his apt.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bear30101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Tips Reply with quote

Myrup,
I don't have experience with the Silent Brass, but I did have the great pleasure many years ago, of playing next to Gil Rathel for some months. While I do not know his home practice routine, he did extensive pre-show warm up/ practice, with a harmon mute. He is a lead player with power and endurance, extensive range and technique, and extreme accuracy. The extended practice with harmon certainly did him no harm.
IMHO you must absolutely find someplace to play open horn for a few minutes every day. The space should be "live" acoustically. (In a stairwell, gymnasium, or aimed at the inside/outside of a masonry wall.) But the scales, arpeggio, intervals, articulations, tunes and changes you can master in muted practice are endless.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
You could invite them for a coffee and tell that playing trumpet is the only thing that can stop you from playing trombone, tuba and drums.

it takes personal fortitude to play trumpet. there is one in every crowd and if you are going to be a trumpet player, you are that unspeakable person. those with better social skills and those who innately fit in well pursue other instruments.
there is no way to easily smooth this over with people. we walk our own walk. to the OP one day you will have a house of your own, don't despair.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
it takes personal fortitude to play trumpet. there is one in every crowd and if you are going to be a trumpet player, you are that unspeakable person. those with better social skills and those who innately fit in well pursue other instruments.
there is no way to easily smooth this over with people. we walk our own walk. to the OP one day you will have a house of your own, don't despair.

Chuck,

Well said!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is something to the glass blower profession as developing the blowing muscles, it might be a good idea for the OP to get large equipment such as Maynard Ferguson played. Very open blowing, so over blowing is not as much of a problem, and it has advantages other than a big powerful sound.

Even so, I would continue with whatever horn and mouthpiece you have, and learn to take it easy; i.e., refine the airstream. And don't limit yourself to a few notes, play the full range! Up as high as you can.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that logic, I would not be able to play the recorder. Or whisper.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have the Silent Brass- correct? Use it with a better set of noise cancelling headphones, turn it up to about the volume you feel is correct for the effort you are making and have at it. Over the years I used one quite a bit and also bought 6 or 7 from here and eBay to lend out to my inner city 'hood students who didn't dare practice trumpet in the apartment or the local dealer would do drive-bys at them later. When my college prof student moved back to Japan after a couple years, I gave her one so she could keep up her practice there. She also runs a line in and plays along with Abersold and the like, which is another perk for using it. I've had little issue with them personally or in using them with students so long as they use phones and turn them up. Without the electronics there is usually a problem with either back pressure or overblowing. Good luck.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
the parks are fine, just put your case out and you'll suck but so to tons of buskers, and you might get lunch money out of it.

The problem I anticipate with doing this outdoors in a public place is you're inviting the local criminal element who will see a shiny horn not as a musical instrument but as something to steal.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except, does he live in a high-crime area? I doubt he does.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cold temps in Sweden might be more of a problem for busking than the dirtbags.
GRVTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me...I have a silent brass. Not my favorite option. I prefer to use a Harmon mute with tissue stuffed in it. Adds a little resistance but the closest to playing normal that I have been able to find.
Eb/D: Schilke E3L
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your situation for a short time. What I did, is make arrangements to practice at the local college and would also practice at low volume in my apartment with an adjustable cup mute. If you don't have a college close by, go to a community center, recreation hall, Elks. Moose or Masons lodge and see what you can work out. A community theater during non-use hours? You may also be able to join a beginning level band class at your local college or university - without being a student. Often, colleges open their band programs to non-student adults.

As others here have said, there are always opportunities - just think outside the box. Perhaps there is a local music store that offers lessons? And maybe if you took lessons there they might let you practice in their music rooms during off hours?

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. Since moving into a condo my trumpet practice time has dwindled radically. I have have tried MANY practice mutes. I have an original Silent brass and have played the new model. And the new model is a significant improvement. I also have a Don Maslet practice mute as well as a Best Brass knockoff. The one that provides the least resistance but cuts the volume well is the world famous Renuzit mute. I like it because it is the lightest weight and cheapest of them all.

No practice mute will provide a lot of musical satisfaction, sad to say. But if you need time on the horn and have no place to play open we only have what we have. If you are just starting out on trumpet, you do need to go out into an open area. I don't think playing in your car is ideal because the constricted space has its issues as well. So, as others have mentioned, if weather permits, just go outside somewhere.

Good luck.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these and it's very helpful. I still don't practice in the late evening or night. My neighbors haven't complained yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Microphone-Studio-Voice-Booth-Isolation-Box-/252142628089
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us more about this pillow box. It is possible to play extremely softly. Believe it or not.
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I still practice don't late evenings, but it does reduce sound quite a bit. My wife says it reduces volume about 50%. Not perfect, but I can play mp and mf without difficulty. No fear of driving the neighbors, nor her for that matter, crazy. I have tried Yamaha silent mute and a few of the other practice mutes mentioned here. None of them worked for me. I will say this though... playing into the sound box all the time means it takes a few minutes getting used to playing open again when I'm at rehearsal or band practice, or any other time I can play open. I seem so LOUD!!!!

But I get reacclimated pretty quickly. I'd say it's worth the investment and I recommend it to all apartment dwellers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: