• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CSO - JLCO with Wynton Marsalis last night at Orchestra Hall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: CSO - JLCO with Wynton Marsalis last night at Orchestra Hall Reply with quote

Anyone else out there attend the concert last night? I thought it was great, and in particular the arrangement of Pictures At An Exhibition featuring both orchestras and bouncing back and forth between traditional and jazz interpretations of the pieces in it was superb. That said, based on how the concert was marketed ("Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis: A Night with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra"), we expected to see and hear more of Wynton than one short blues solo during the encore along with a few featured bars here and there during the piece he composed (all done while seated within the JLCO and invisible from the front and center Row G tickets my wife spent a LOT of money on).

The house was nearly sold out and from the conversations I could here before entering the hall, hearing and seeing Wynton perform was the main attraction for the vast majority of the people attending. Sadly, one of the two young men sitting next to me actually dozed off at one point during the performance. I don't think the concert was what he expected...

Understand, I'm not griping about the performance or performers at all - it and they were all GREAT. But this is the second time in a row we feel the marketing of the CSO programs has been misleading. I'm wondering if the CSO has a new company doing their promotional material or a new person in-house in charge of it.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - isn't Wynton the leader of the band/program? I found that ad consistent with this, along with the written text, information about the band and not, in itself, promoting Wynton as a featured soloist. Maybe its a case of reading into something whist you want to see instead of what actually is there? Perhaps another look at the material would clear that up.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
John - isn't Wynton the leader of the band/program? I found that ad consistent with this, along with the written text, information about the band and not, in itself, promoting Wynton as a featured soloist. Maybe its a case of reading into something whist you want to see instead of what actually is there? Perhaps another look at the material would clear that up.

I took another look - and I see that the only photo chosen to promote the concert was a photo of Wynton Marsalis holding his horn. If I saw a picture of Yo Yo Ma posing with his Cello, I think it would be reasonable to expect the concert being promoted to include at least one piece featuring Yo Yo Ma.

But it wasn't me that got misled. It was my wife (a highly intelligent person with degrees in Occupational Therapy, Biochemistry and Neuroscience) who planned this as a gift for me (for which I am very grateful). But that said, when I looked at the tickets and the promo material I also was led to think Wynton would be a featured soloist. They didn't use a photo of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, they used a photo of Wynton holding his horn.

I suppose someone intimately familiar with the all the pieces (the one composed by Wynton in particular) would know they weren't trumpet features. But when a photo of a prominent jazz/classical soloist is the only one used, and the text reads "an electrifying, one-night-only event that includes classical works paired with newly arranged jazz versions and a selection of Marsalis' own Swing Symphony...." it seems reasonable to me to assume that the featured artist as illustrated in the promotional photograph, will be featured.

Again, it was a great concert and I'm glad I was able to attend.

Last edited by John Mohan on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton is a monster player, historian, educator and promoter.

Sometimes I think there is a lot more business associated with him instead of art these days.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Wynton is a monster player, historian, educator and promoter.

Sometimes I think there is a lot more business associated with him instead of art these days.

I think in this case, the business side of this issue has nothing to do with him. My grievance is not at all with the performers - it's with the people doing the marketing and promotion for the CSO these days. It seems to me that if people come away from concerts feeling misled (and I guarantee based on what I heard going into the concert there were many others that feel as we do - they were all excitedly talking about getting to hear Wynton), this kind of promotional strategy is not going to be good for long term ticket sales.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a fb post by Roger Ingram, apparently Tom Hooten played principal with the CSO for this performance.

Would the CSO also subject Tom to an audition against the others?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
I saw a fb post by Roger Ingram, apparently Tom Hooten played principal with the CSO for this performance.

Would the CSO also subject Tom to an audition against the others?

Mr. Hooten played beautifully. Nailed the daylights out of Pictures from beginning to end.

Regarding auditions, unless it is the desire of the orchestra to head down a road that eventually leads to cronyism and word of mouth replacing formal auditions, I think it's best that if even Gabriel himself came down from the heavens, he should have to audition just as everyone else should. Even with the formal audition process, once the Curtain comes down after the Preliminaries, there's still plenty of room to allow the performance experience and consistency over time of the various auditionees to be weighed in the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: