• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Burbank trumpets

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Burbank trumpets Reply with quote

There was a thread recently about the Burbank trumpets, I think they are made by Kanstul. Did a search, could not find it, anyone know who sells these?

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.horntrader.com/9-burbank-trumpets
Piccolo Stomvi
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to see Michael Thomas have a website again. He is the only distributor of those new Burbanks. Horn-trader is just a middleman for Michael.

It also would serve Michael well, and get those horns out there represented again. And Michael says they can and will get any old Benge model made again, from 1X to CGs and C trumpets and flugels etc

They also do any tweaks you want, different brass alloys, thicknesses, and any custom stuff Kanstul can do.

Those are some of the best designs ever made, and wish they were better represented
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy had a great write up last year.

The link he posted is:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141207

If that link works this is the info you are looking for.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML52K wrote:
shofarguy had a great write up last year.

The link he posted is:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141207

If that link works this is the info you are looking for.

That was the one I could not find, thanks!

Brad
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Id like to see Michael Thomas have a website again. He is the only distributor of those new Burbanks. Horn-trader is just a middleman for Michael.

It also would serve Michael well, and get those horns out there represented again. And Michael says they can and will get any old Benge model made again, from 1X to CGs and C trumpets and flugels etc

They also do any tweaks you want, different brass alloys, thicknesses, and any custom stuff Kanstul can do.

Those are some of the best designs ever made, and wish they were better represented

Catch 22

Michael needs to sell more trumpets to be able to afford to pay someone to build the website, but it's hard to sell more horns these days without a web site. He is traveling to various trade shows where people can actually play his horns, He has invested in Roger Wood as an endorsing artist.

Basically, Michael is doing the things he knows, but doesn't really know how to navigate cyberspace.

Maybe it's time to contact him again and see if I can get a 3X+ for awhile.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seriously considering "pulling the trigger" on a new Kanstul 700 for months and months now, and honestly that lowest-price Burbank looks awfully good. Made by Kanstul, has traditional spit valves* and I'm not sure if it's silver plated or brass but that doesn't really matter to me.

*it's traditional to call them spit valves
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

Catch 22

Michael needs to sell more trumpets to be able to afford to pay someone to build the website, but it's hard to sell more horns these days without a web site. He is traveling to various trade shows where people can actually play his horns, He has invested in Roger Wood as an endorsing artist.

Basically, Michael is doing the things he knows, but doesn't really know how to navigate cyberspace.

Maybe it's time to contact him again and see if I can get a 3X+ for awhile.

Im glad Michael is out there beating the streets old school, but with out any dealers (besides horn trader) or a website it's a tall order to crank out some sales.

If he could get a couple dealers that promote a bit and have exposure like Austin Custom Brass or Dillons, J Landress, Chuck Levin etc the horns would sell themselves.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Horntrader has his Burbank CG mispriced for a year or more now, I bet he isn't selling many at $3350, when I think it should be $2350.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
By the way, Horntrader has his Burbank CG mispriced for a year or more now, I bet he isn't selling many at $3350, when I think it should be $2350.

No, the CG model is more because of the Claude Gordon license.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

$1000 per horn? No way. I call shenanigans. If so (which I find suspect) I'd call the horn something else, because that's just insane.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean it's a 6X with a few mods...$1000 extra? If this were a bet, my money says it's a typo.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
I mean it's a 6X with a few mods...$1000 extra? If this were a bet, my money says it's a typo.

You say, but I sat with Michael and heard the story of the Burbank horns, their history, their present and the plan for their future. I even participated in brainstorming ways to bring these horns to the fore. You can call it shenanigans, if you like, but you have no basis for it. You know nothing of Michael Thomas, if you think that.

trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

You say, but I sat with Michael and heard the story of the Burbank horns, their history, their present and the plan for their future. I even participated in brainstorming ways to bring these horns to the fore. You can call it shenanigans, if you like, but you have no basis for it. You know nothing of Michael Thomas, if you think that.

I never questioned your "brainstorming" activities or your relationship with Thomas or Kanstul. And I've read your posts and articles. So I don't question any of that.

As Horntrader is the only person advertising the horns on the internet, and the CG having a $1000 premium is what I've called shenanigans. Because I can't believe a "licensing fee" could possibly cost $1000 extra. Which leads me to think there is a typo on his webpage.

I mean Kanstul build his Chicago series with a "G" lead pipe, .464 choke, lighter bell. I mean come on, it's a CG for all practical purposes. And the price is the same as the other Chicago horns.

I'll send Steve at horntrader an email and get confirmation. But if the Burbank CGs cost $1000 more....I'll eat my hat.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And further on a website? You don't need a lot of detail to get information about your products out there. In fact there are many resources for a free webpage, or at least very inexpensive options.

Michael sent me a catalogue/brochure a while back. Just putting that info on a web page and an email address and a phone number would require minimum effort and reap I'm sure more interest and traffic than he gets just from word of mouth.

It's not my company and obviously I have no vested interest. But I think he has a great product and only wish him success.

Any maybe some new biz can get the price of those CGs back to reality
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some *very* primitive web sites do at least OK at selling, looking at you Dan's Small Parts http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

and Sierra radio kits http://www.fix.net/~jparker/wilderness/sierra.htm
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
I have seen some *very* primitive web sites do at least OK at selling, looking at you Dan's Small Parts http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

and Sierra radio kits http://www.fix.net/~jparker/wilderness/sierra.htm

Those web sites, definitely primitive. But better than nothing right?
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

Confirmed: Horntrader's price is in error. I wonder how many sales he lost over that typo.

Shofarguy, might want to double check your sources before speaking on somebody's behalf next time.

Anyway, I sure hope to see these great trumpets in the hands of more players. I think the $1000 price adjustment might make the CG more appealing.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Web site for Burbank's Reply with quote

As web site design costs are quite small and "build your own" templates are in the market...why don't some of you guys volunteer to build him a site...easy. Just "do it"

Alan
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

Confirmed: Horntrader's price is in error. I wonder how many sales he lost over that typo.

Shofarguy, might want to double check your sources before speaking on somebody's behalf next time.

Anyway, I sure hope to see these great trumpets in the hands of more players. I think the $1000 price adjustment might make the CG more appealing.

Shofarguy has a price list given him by Michael Thomas and it shows an up-charge for the CG model. This was briefly talked about in a 1 on 1 conversation with Michael Thomas while researching the article referenced above. The one thing Shofarguy didn't do was go again to Horntrader.com to recheck Steve's posted price.

If Michael has since changed his pricing, I would not know, since it's been a few months since I've had contact with him.

Last point: My article was researched with, reviewed and approved by Michael Thomas and his long-time business partners.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: