• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Not sure what this means

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maj45

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Not sure what this means Reply with quote

I'm playing in the pit for our local school musical, "The Drowsy Chapperone" In the book several times, it calls for a "tite cup" and other times just 'cup mute." I don't know what they mean by a tite cup. Can someone explain it?
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tite=Tight

When it says "Tite" it means closed cup mute, or close to the bell, kind of like a solo-tone mute sound. When it just says cup or open, the mute should be in its normal distance from the bell.
maj45

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That makes sense, but I've never seen that before. Of course, with the corks on my mute, they're all tight Maybe time for a little repair work.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An adjustable cup mute would give you the ability to vary the distance of the cup from the bell. If your cup mute isn't adjustable you're stuck with whatever distance the corks create.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maj45 wrote:
Thanks. That makes sense, but I've never seen that before. Of course, with the corks on my mute, they're all tight Maybe time for a little repair work.

Or go get a solotone mute. If you do a lot of show work, you'll see that mute called for quite a bit.

This way you don't have to shave your cup mute corks, o buy a new one.

I never thought I'd ever have so many mutes, but I have solotone, pixie mutes, a couple different straight and cups, bucket, and loads more. And shockingly I use them all in pit work.

I'd been on an expedition over the last few years to buy up used mute collections on eBay, or here in the market place. Got some cool mutes I need and some junk. But I can't remember the last time I bought a new mute because of the abundance of used stuff available.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently played on a show that required both a cup and tite cup. I used a Denis Wick adjustable cup mute for both (as did my colleague playing the other trumpet part).
Piccolo Stomvi
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times I played that show I just used my regular cup which I have adjusted to be pretty close to the bell.

I'm of the mind that a cup should be by definition "tight". Guys that refuse to shave the corks and leave the cup an inch away from the bell, they sound half way to a straight, to my ears.

I have done tunes where I felt I need a louder cup and for those instances, I simply pulled the cup out a bit and held it. That allowed me to get the extra volume without losing too much of the cup sound.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: