• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Pressure problem

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Pressure problem Reply with quote

For focus, efficiency and the least amount of effort to play well.
I found that when I did the 6 note exercise at the end of my first practice session it would set up my embouchure quite nicely for the day.
In fact I would rest 5 minutes and do the 6 note exercise again and this really worked for me.

comebackcornet wrote:
Arjuna wrote:

Caruso's 6 note exercise at the end of your 1st practice session and 1 more time at the end of your last practice session of the day.

Arjuna, could you explain why you recommend the 6 notes at the end of the session(?). I do a 6 note exercise most days at the beginning of one of my sessions (I spend the session on Flexus material) and I am therefore curious about this.

Thanks.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Turkle's got it Reply with quote

How about a good instructor to to watch and diagnose. I am quite sure there are a few in Sac. Try a "symphony guy." The Principal of the San Jose Symphony/Bay Brass might take you...not that far, for a problem like this ..
even a few lessons would get you back, straight
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Pressure problem Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:
I've noticed when I play I use an excess amount of Pressure. I been trying to reduce the amount of pressure by slowly removing the mouthpiece from my face when I practice since late December. However this caused my lips to still extend into the mouthpiece and didn't seem to solve anything. Playing a F on and above the staff in the Staff requires me to "pinch" my lips together. When I practice lip slurs with the first valve it takes a lot of effort just to slur to an F, and it feels really uncomfortable.

Using the least pressure you can get away with is a laudable goal but if there's something off about the mechanics of how you're playing, by itself less pressure isn't the secret, just like lightening the load in your boat isn't going to fix the fact that the hull of your boat is full of barnacles and one of the cylinders in the engine is fouling - or if you like, that you have a huge rip in your sail.

The various things you're saying - discomfort, problem with slurring, this business of your lips extending into the mouthpiece - if that's really what's happening - makes it clear you're not using the various components the right way. Your cylinders aren't all firing the way they should be.

Can you post video of yourself playing?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Turkle's got it Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
How about a good instructor to to watch and diagnose. I am quite sure there are a few in Sac. Try a "symphony guy." The Principal of the San Jose Symphony/Bay Brass might take you...not that far, for a problem like this ..
even a few lessons would get you back, straight

That might not be a bad idea, but it also might not be totally necessary.

Something to consider, whenever we decide to learn to do something - whether it's woodworking, wood carving, sewing/quilting, weight lifting/exercising, shooting - anything that requires refinement of technique, we don't always need to go find a teacher to show us or tell us how to do something. Often times we can find everything we need to improve ourselves with resources that are available to us. Books, magazine publications, internet articles, YouTube videos, and internet forums will all have information that can help a person if they know how to utilize it.

This isn't to say that getting a teacher at some point might not be a good idea, but when a player is in the middle stages - past the point of being a beginner, but still building a foundation of technique and musicianship - sometimes a common sense approach and some diligent work in the practice room is all that is needed.

I've often found it interesting that whenever someone comes on the board with a technique issue, the first "answer" many seem to want to give is, "go find a teacher/take some lessons."

Maybe I'm an exception, but I've managed to carve out a pretty decent life as a musician that included 10 years as an active duty military musician, 6 years as a Nation Guard musician, working for pay as both a drummer and a trumpeter with a fairly regular gig schedule. I've had very little interaction with a teacher in the way of formal lessons, (I've done plenty of talking shop, and getting takeaways from that though) and I've corrected many bad habits all on my own by first identifying the problem, and then finding a solutions for how to fix those problems, either through advice I got somewhere else, or just figuring it out on my own.

Anyway, this thread isn't about me, so I'll stop with that, but I don't think that Tyler necessarily needs to seek out a teacher to help with a basic issue like excessive mouthpiece pressure. It's very similar to this"

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this. (moves arm about erratically)
Doc: Then don't do that.

Tyler: I use an excessive amount of mouthpiece pressure.
Us: Then don't use so much mouthpiece pressure.

When it comes to being a decent, functional, gigging player, there's very little that can't be solved with some diligent work in the practice room going back to basic chops and technique work, and most of the time there is no sage tip or trick - you just have to get in the practice room, and you have to put in the time.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I've read the mouthpiece assessment and focused the majority of my practice on it, resting as much as i play. I've noticed that the middle of my top lip seems to be "attached" to my MP, with the rest of both of my lips not using as much pressure. Is this just a natural thing?
btw, my embouchure has the tip of my top lip a tad bit in front of the rest of my lips, which is why i think its just natural
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2c is: Try doing lots of buzzing on the mouthpiece alone. Go high, low, octave slurs, etc do everything you've been doing on the horn but ... mouthpiece alone.

You'll look and feel pretty silly trying to jam the MP by itself as hard into your face as you were doing your horn, so you'll learn high pressure is not necessary.

Again 2c payable using EBT or Green Stamps, just passing on what's worked for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: