• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 6B vs Connstellation 38B

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:

Since it was a mission to dig my '60 Conn 6B Victor out of the closet, I took a picture of it. Original case, original lacquer, not hardly a scratch on it...

Slept how much time in the closet? Poor llittle abandonned horn...

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that it was a victim of a stuck mouthpiece and some pliers or vice-grips in the past. Yes, it's a later model 6B...good luck with it!

Mine's been stored in the closet for 3 or 4 years, but doesn't look like it had been played much before I bought it.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to change it is to cut it off and then try to add a different receiver over the cutoff end. The original receiver was not soldered on.
It looks like what you have is a director pipe or other copper pipe.
The two receivers in the picture look like a conn connstellation pipe from the mid 80's (the extra one in the picture) which were made to look like the ones from the 60's which were all one piece with the whole pipe. The one that is soldered on looks like an old olds receiver. I don't know olds very well but it looks just like the old cornet receivers that I've switched out many times for people looking to get an olds to be compatible with Bach cornet pieces.

I would use the extra receiver in the picture and see if it fits on the end of that pipe. The Venturi should be .330 which is rather small and the gap should be .112.

My guess is that it does not fit but the one that is soldered on fits. I bet the one soldered on has a big gap but that is a guess. If the gap is close to correct I would leave it. The other one looks more original though.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
The only way to change it is to cut it off and then try to add a different receiver over the cutoff end. The original receiver was not soldered on.
It looks like what you have is a director pipe or other copper pipe.
The two receivers in the picture look like a conn connstellation pipe from the mid 80's (the extra one in the picture) which were made to look like the ones from the 60's which were all one piece with the whole pipe. The one that is soldered on looks like an old olds receiver. I don't know olds very well but it looks just like the old cornet receivers that I've switched out many times for people looking to get an olds to be compatible with Bach cornet pieces.

I would use the extra receiver in the picture and see if it fits on the end of that pipe. The Venturi should be .330 which is rather small and the gap should be .112.

This is the first coprion Conn I'll get, so excuse my lack of experience and my ignorance, but if the 6B coprion leadpipe and reciever are electro-formed in one piece on a mandrel, with the reciever having a taper this shape

My guess is that it does not fit but the one that is soldered on fits. I bet the one soldered on has a big gap but that is a guess. If the gap is close to correct I would leave it. The other one looks more original though.

This is the first coprion Conn I'll get, so excuse my lack of experience and my ignorance, but if the 6B coprion leadpipe and reciever are electro-formed in one piece on a mandrel, with the reciever having a taper this shape > and the taper of the leadpipe in the opposite way <, how did they remove it from the mandrel?

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the original 6B leadpipe that have been cut, I'll have intonation issues if I install the replacement reviever. Will be too short. That's perhaps why the gut who did the modification chose a longer reciever...

Sounds not good...

Are these 6B coprion reciever/leadpipe a rare find?

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by looking at your pipe, it looks like its close to the right length. If they cut off the receiver because of damage or stuck mouthpiece they would only cut off bout 16th off the actual length of the pipe. Thats all the "overlap" that is there.

The pipe is made on two mandrels that are bolted together >< style.
Then its electro-formed with really thick copper. The thickness of the receiver, that thick. Then they take this super thick pipe and put in a lathe and turn down the big end until its the size to fit the top slide tube. That means they take about half the thickness away. They they turn down the receiver end except for the last 1.25 inches which they they leave thick. If you have ever seen the repair part you can see how they do it cuz the repair part was not sanded or buffed You can see the lathe tool marks.

SO i still think that your later conn receiver in the picture might still be a good receiver for that pipe. The problem is probably that it does not fit, and its probably too small to fit over that thick pipe. It would need to be hollowed out, and since its tapered like that would be hard to hold in a lathe chuck. The alternative, (if i'm right in all of these guesses!) would be to file the end of the pipe down. Not too hard at all. And do it so the gap is right. There won't be a lot of overlap though, judging by the look of it. That is the way the 38B reboot from the mid 80's looked too. And that is where that receiver looks like it came from.

Or you can have someone make new one from scratch with the right size hollow out, and bit longer to get ore overlap, and even cut the hollow out on a taper to match the taper of the end of the pipe. That is what i would do, and i would make it out of copper too.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn 6B vs Connstellation 38B Reply with quote

fabiopereirabr wrote:

Yes but due to the horn's weight.. he sounds fantastic on the connstellation..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsP3mFK65UM

Call me crazy but I believe a nickel finish affects the sound. It adds a certain "weight" that I really like.
fabiopereirabr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Conn 6B vs Connstellation 38B Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
fabiopereirabr wrote:

Yes but due to the horn's weight.. he sounds fantastic on the connstellation..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsP3mFK65UM

Call me crazy but I believe a nickel finish affects the sound. It adds a certain "weight" that I really like.

yeah.. I know what you mean.. I feel the same with my 38A.. Weights a ton.. but the sound is realy unique
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chet sounds great on the 38b in that clip (not a surprise)

The only thing i ever read about the chet not liking the 38b was an article in the detroit free press sunday edition in 1975 or 1976 about his current comeback at that time. He said that he had a new connstellation and the bore was really big so he had to breathe deep. Nice article, i was a junior in high scholar the time, and it got me into chet baker, and also the 38B.

He plays the 38B on all those iconic albums fro the late 70's...and the sound is just fabulous like in the video.

right now i'm using the 36B for everything just because i have one that is extra good.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
...The only thing i ever read about the chet not liking the 38b was an article in the detroit free press sunday edition in 1975 or 1976 about his current comeback at that time. He said that he had a new connstellation and the bore was really big so he had to breathe deep...

I suppose he was mistaken about the bore size, then...
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those pass through here a while back . . .

Traded it for this one . . .

and kept this one as my wide wrap . . .

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I had 4 Conns under the radar:

1.A Connstellation from the 80's in mint condition. Price was ridiculous but I passed on this one.
2. A '61 Connstellation that was too expensive for my budget. It's for sale for a while but the seller didn't want to lower the price enough.
3. A 6B in pristine condition at a very fair price. The seller and I got a deal, but then he told me he put the horn in storage a year ago and can't find it....he will call be back when he'll find it.
4. A 6B with lots of scars and wear, the one I sent some photos of. Got it for $155. Fair enough. The valves are in excellent condition with lot of compression. Everything is fixable.

First, I've been surprised how much it's free blowing for a .438 bore. I'll need an acclimation for the high register, but overall, very easy to blow.

Then the sound has a very wide and rich palette! From, dark, smokey, intimate tone to bright and powerful. I love it. To me, it's definitely a jazz player.

It plays well with the non original reciever although it can't take any mouthpiece; for example i've played with a Curry 3DE and a Bach 1 1/2, but the reciever is too large for my Curry 1.5 TF and my Obrac copy of B2S3.

The leadpipe is shorter of 10 mm, so he's been cut just like Lipshurt thought and like he said ( such a expert guy!! ) the replacement reciever, probably a Connstellation part, is too narrow to be soldered without modification.

I love this big bell small bore combination to continue to look for a Connstellation who fits in my budget. And if the seller of the other 6B finds the horn into his mess, I'll surely jump on it.

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, anyone has a 6B coprion leadpipe/rceiever for sale?

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

measured the gap of the actual reciever with 2 mps that works well with this horn.

With a Bach 1 1/2, the gap is about 0.170
With my Selmer PAris 2, it is 0.190

I made some phone calls and the only used 6B pipe/reciever I found would cost me 100 Euros + shipping. I'm not that hopeless....

Would a Constellation reciever fit to a 6B? I ask the question cause if I'm right Kanstul make a copy of the Constellation.

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipshurt, I followed your instructions and I installed the replacement reciever.

First thing, you were right, it doesn't fit. The leadpipe outer diameter is too large...I have a lathe but I'm not used to work on tapered material so I decided to do it by hand. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of squeezing this delicate leadpipe inside the nasty steel jaws...

I filed and sanded the leadpipe on about 3/8'' giving the file an angle to get a tapered shape. God...when you're used on a lathe you don't like to work by hand. The leadpipe have to remain in a round shape.

I also increased the inner diameter of a portion of the reciever, just the lenght for the leadpipe to fit in. For this I had a special tapered file that I mounted on my Foredom ( a BIG industrial Dremel ).

So here we are, it fits right. The mouthpiece gap is 0.115''. See the last photo of this file:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q15febekpqwm54q/AADsbskj_aYY11KsWhtsnI3xa?dl=0

I took the photo yesterday late in the day, so it's not a good one. Anyway it gives you an idea.

The horn plays and most of all responds way better now . The only issue is that I have to pull the tuning slide of about 3/4'' cause the leadpipe was too short.

I found a brand new original reciever/leadpipe in Germany, but wow it's not free: 100 Euros + shipping. I think about keeping the horn like this, but I know the pulled tuning slide will titilate me...

What's your opinion?

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction made: I double checked with a micro tuner and then with my keyboard and I have to pull the slide of a bit less than 1/2 ''.

Think I saved 100 Euros!!

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Sounds like you solved the problem. Glad it worked out.
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Great! Sounds like you solved the problem. Glad it worked out.

Yes, I'm very happy and to be honest, a bit proud of myself too!!

I LOVE this horn...the mix of small bore and big bell makes the sound I was looking for a while. I was searching for a larger bell horn but I didn't know nothing about the Conn horns of this era.

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the perennial hunt for a cheap 6B/22B. Seeing your story was enjoyable, and a great outcome! Health to play my friend!!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
I'm on the perennial hunt for a cheap 6B/22B. Seeing your story was enjoyable, and a great outcome! Health to play my friend!!

Thanks. You missed a very nice 22B on e-Bay today. Left for under 200. It was in excellent shape. Next time maybe!!

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: