• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

red of the lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glord1894

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: red of the lip Reply with quote

Ok guys, this is a weird question

I have noticed that over the past 6 months or so, for some reason the mouthpiece position has slipped higher and higher over my mouth. It is now at the point where, for the first time in my life, The mp is resting on the red of the lower lip as I play. I'm wondering what the heck is causing this, and how bad of a problem is this? I have been recently having some struggles with endurance, I have been tiring out and swelling up rather quickly, and have never had this problem before.

Now, I realize what a can of worms I'm opening with this, but I'd appreciate some thoughts
Anthony Barrington

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: RE: red of the lip Reply with quote

Find a teacher and ask this. Has your sound changed? You don't want to cause any muscular damage, so I would contact a professional trumpet player right away.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might sound stupid saying this, and apologies if I am missing something important, but, if your mouthpiece is travelling all around and you dont want that can you not place it where you want it.

If my mouthpiece ended up on my left nostril I wouldnt ask for suggestions what to do, I would know what to do, I would shove it back where it belonged.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's where it belongs.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with the mouthpiece rim on the red part of the lip can cause problems. There are some very good trumpeters who've learned how to play that way, but it generally makes things more difficult for most.

When I was a teenager I gradually outgrew the mouthpiece I started on and had to change to a larger mouthpiece (twice) that fit my lips. I don't know how old you are and whether this might apply to you.

Another cause might be playing situations that are more strenuous than you can handle, which can cause your subconscious to move things around in an attempt to help your embouchure keep going. This is especially likely if you experience significant embouchure swelling. Better to take it easy if you can to prevent damage. Play easy, very soft warm-down exercises in the mid-to-low register after sessions like that to make sure your basic fundamentals and embouchure remain intact.
Piccolo Stomvi
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: red of the lip Reply with quote

Do Bill Adam leadpipe buzzing first thing in the morning for 3 minutes.
Later in the day do another 1-2 minutes of Bill Adam leadpipe buzzing.
Practice Caruso's 6 note exercise at the end of your first practice session.
These natural exercises are the best of their kind and form a natural embouchure.
The mouthpiece placement will go where it naturally wants to go.
Let nature decide where it wants to go.

Glord1894 wrote:
Ok guys, this is a weird question

I have noticed that over the past 6 months or so, for some reason the mouthpiece position has slipped higher and higher over my mouth. It is now at the point where, for the first time in my life, The mp is resting on the red of the lower lip as I play. I'm wondering what the heck is causing this, and how bad of a problem is this? I have been recently having some struggles with endurance, I have been tiring out and swelling up rather quickly, and have never had this problem before.

Now, I realize what a can of worms I'm opening with this, but I'd appreciate some thoughts
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly big mouthpiece?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: