• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Foam Case for Storing Slides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ablazek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Foam Case for Storing Slides Reply with quote

Anyone ever heard of a place that might be able to make a small custom case with a foam inside for the slides of a multi-key horn? I recently got a Yamaha Long Bell Eb/D, and I'd like to have a better place to store the slides. Maybe something similar to the Pickett mouthpiece cases: http://www.pickettbrass.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=105&products_id=722
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cut-outs look neat but it looks like the kind of "generic" case you can buy for $20 and at $20 that's a bit high.

Camera stores and electronics supply stores, also gun shops, usually have a lot of cases with uncut foam, then just cut the foam carefully and there you go, should not cost you more than $30 or so.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen similar cases at gaming stores. Small plastic cases with foam inserts with various sized squares that you can pluck out for desired shapes. And I believe less expensive.

http://www.specialized.net/Specialized/ArmaCase-Blow-Molded-Case-FULL-FOAM-75x5x2188-734.aspx#
Retired Air Force Bandsman
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubble wrap works just about as well, especially since the D slides almost never get used anyway.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how much you want to spend and the size you're looking for, Pelican has some offerings, even some with pick and pluck foam:

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/hardback-case/pistol-case/P1075/

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/hardback-case/laptop-case/1085/

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/micro-case/standard/1060/

Poke around their website for other models and sizes to better suit your needs.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kanstul pic that has pipes for G, A, Bb. It came in a Gladstone case with the pipes stored in a vinyl pouch that rolled up and fit in a small crevice.

There was a big block next to the crevice as a filler piece.

I designed a series of foam pieces using Visio and the used a laser cutter to cut the foam. These foam pieces replaced the crevice and filler block.

In the end it was a nice solution.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep if you can cut the foam exactly, it's better than "pick and pluck" or anything. W/o a laser cutter, about the best you can do is carefully "trace" each part onto the foam then cut inside the lines, carefully, with a new X-Acto knife (do I need to mention the pointy #11 blade?).

Pelican cases are all over the place, Fry's Electronics, camera stores, Amazon...
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also cut case foam for larger pieces with an old-style electric knife. I got one on ebay a few years ago to do a large pelican case foam insert for a modular tactical rifle rig. Plus it's still the best thing for carving up a deep-fried turkey, LOL
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
botahoratiu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something similar from a traveling soap box, for my warburton tops. The interior was also from foam cut by laser. The second project was from a nice compact photo camera with a zipper (much nicer in tge end)
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a small art supplies box and added foam in the top and bottom. No cutouts - when the box was closed, the foam was compressed enough by the slides to keep them from moving around.

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, Dale. I'm still using the bubble wrap my D slides came in for my Schilke Eb/D back in the 1970s. Rubber band around them, very functional, not too pretty. I keep them inside of the Bb gig bag I keep the horn in, no corners or edges to scratch the instrument.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those were the Bb slides I bought for my Bach C trumpet. The C came in a double case, so that box slid nicely into the other slot, still leaving room for a straight mute and valve oil. The tuning on the horn was wonky with the Bb slides, though, and I ended up selling them (and the box).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: