• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trumpet bath

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: trumpet bath Reply with quote

i have changed my procedure up with the bath and got an akro-mils 12 gallon storage box which is a good compact size that will take both the trumpet and flugel. all silver plate gets washed with boiling hot water, baking soda, and aluminum sheet underneath. hence having a more compact size that will be easier to heat up. it is a nice vessel. the trumpet fits in on an angle and the flugel fits quite well straight on.
i also changed to using lestoil which is noted for being good at grease cutting. the horn had a characteristic smell for a bit that has dissipated. it's a toss up whether to have had a followup rinse in coconut oil dish soap. the lestoil did a great job and will get used in the future.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before / after photos, please!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before and after photos would be identical. the main difference was in the smell of the trumpet and the improved valve action from cleaning. this was from a lestoil only cleaning. the trumpet had been brightened up a week before getting the new akro-mils vessel using heated water from the gas stove, aluminum foil, and washing soda. in the giddiness of doing that clean i had somehow forgotten to snake the passages leaving the horn with a balky second valve. it brings up a good point. i believe it takes more than baking soda or washing soda to clean the tubing and the instrument needs a long hot soak in lemon joy, lestoil, or the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: