• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

LF Improv software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: LF Improv software Reply with quote

I'm playing the solo chair in a big band and doing okay, but the band doesn't practice often enough for me to get more than one or maybe two passes at solo sections in charts that have changes. So I'm on the lookout for something like Band In A Box that I can use to input and play back chord changes so I can practice along with them. I want something that doesn't sound artificial (cheesy-sounding synthesizers & midi, yuk!) but don't want to spend a fortune. If you think Band In A Box is the program to go with, I could use some specific direction on what to get since it seems to come with a lot of different options. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: LF Improv software Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
I'm playing the solo chair in a big band and doing okay, but the band doesn't practice often enough for me to get more than one or maybe two passes at solo sections in charts that have changes. So I'm on the lookout for something like Band In A Box that I can use to input and play back chord changes so I can practice along with them. I want something that doesn't sound artificial (cheesy-sounding synthesizers & midi, yuk!) but don't want to spend a fortune. If you think Band In A Box is the program to go with, I could use some specific direction on what to get since it seems to come with a lot of different options. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

iRealPro, for either Android or iPhone, is a miraculous program and is exactly what you need. Best money you'll ever spend on an app, for sure.

http://www.irealpro.com/
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: LF Improv software Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
http://www.irealpro.com/

^^^ this.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. A fantastic app. Works on your computer too, not just your phone.

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this app. limited to playback on MAC?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Isn't this app. limited to playback on MAC?

No. I use the Android version but my pianist uses the Mac version and it does everything the Android version does.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Turkle.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the suggestions : )

I needed something that could playback the specific changes in our arrangements, and iRealPro is perfect! Borrowed my wife's unused Samsung tablet, figured how to input the chords and measures (it's pretty easy) and I'm *really* pleased. And for under $20 it compares very favorably <ahem> to Band In A Box. Just what I needed. Thanks!
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: LF Improv software Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:

Thanks in advance!

When I was at North Texas State ('78 through '81), during rehearsals I asked if it was okay to leave the solo section blank so I could record it and practice it on my own later. And they did . . . I had my trusty Marantz Superscope cassette recorder, and I did that several times. It was great because I actually had a recording of what the band would sound like during my solo section. I did that with big bands and the jazz singers.

Rich Matteson also let me do that during improv classes. It's about as close to the real thing as you can get and just takes a little time and preparation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: