• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CSO now open

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: CSO now open Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://cso.org/about/resources/cso-auditions/

It's now official. Principal trumpet opening in Chicago is advertised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
audreyl138

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting!
Jberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rep is now posted. Interesting that they only require rotary on Beethoven, Brahms, and Bruckner. I would think they'd use it on Schumann and Wagner as well.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd. Also doesn't seem like a very long list for a 52-week orchestra. I guess they make up for that with some of the other lesser-required works on the list (which only the most experienced would likely have played) and the concerto requirement.

I'm interested to see how this pans out (as I think the entire trumpet world might be).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect three concertos and 27 symphonic works, mostly complete works, should be enough to answer their questions about a player's ability to do the job. It looks like a wide variety of skills, and there's always the sightreading if they fell they've missed something.

I wish them well. It's a tough job to fill, both for the committee and for the selected candidate.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a great opportunity to see what direction the committee will choose to take this brass section. There's no doubt that the CSO plays an important role in the American orchestral sound, and it will be exciting even for us bystanders to see what happens.

Quick edit:

Quote:
Rep is now posted. Interesting that they only require rotary on Beethoven, Brahms, and Bruckner. I would think they'd use it on Schumann and Wagner as well.

My educated guess is that they are leaving a measure of individual discretion. i.e. it is an open-handed question and they want to see what direction each candidate goes.
Jberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also list the Haydn Trumpet Concerto in E or Eb. Haydn in E - now that would be an interesting direction to take!
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jberg wrote:
They also list the Haydn Trumpet Concerto in E or Eb. Haydn in E - now that would be an interesting direction to take!

That's got to be a misprint - I've never heard of playing the Haydn in E. The Hummel, yes.

As far as the length of the list, there is more than enough material there to get an accurate picture of a candidate's ability. Making a list monumentally long "just because you can" is counterproductive and completely unnecessary. You don't need a dump truck of redundant material to assess someone's merit.

J
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a really great list. Also, they're accepting an optional pre-preliminary recording. That's great! Now I won't have to travel and miss gigs to get the "thank you" LOL.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Jberg wrote:

That's got to be a misprint - I've never heard of playing the Haydn in E. The Hummel, yes.

As far as the length of the list, there is more than enough material there to get an accurate picture of a candidate's ability. Making a list monumentally long "just because you can" is counterproductive and completely unnecessary. You don't need a dump truck of redundant material to assess someone's merit.

J

Hi, Jim. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had always assumed or interpreted those really long lists (from top tier orchestras) as them assuming the candidate was already familiar with the bulk (or all) of the standard repertoire. And that they wouldn't use the entire list, but would use that as the broad pool to choose excerpts from. Does that sound anywhere close to the mark?
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Jberg wrote:

J

Duly noted. Thanks for the clarification.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
MrClean wrote:
Jberg wrote:

J

Hi, Jim. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had always assumed or interpreted those really long lists (from top tier orchestras) as them assuming the candidate was already familiar with the bulk (or all) of the standard repertoire. And that they wouldn't use the entire list, but would use that as the broad pool to choose excerpts from. Does that sound anywhere close to the mark?

Maybe, but most players do not have every piece in the repertoire at "audition level" at all times. It is really difficult to keep 40 or more plates spinning at one time, particularly when the list is general and not specific passages. You end up with a huge list played pretty well instead of a reasonable list played exceptionally well. One theory for the long list is to discourage weaker or inexperienced players from applying, but you may end up weeding out great players that have jobs that preclude them from simultaneously working up an enormous list while performing the duties of their current job. If you are thoughtful enough in constructing a list, you can quickly determine the quality of the candidate. The CSO has a couple of strategic excerpts on this list to identify the players most qualified for this job, but they've also given folks a shot at making a great impression by not making the list oppressively long. Given this strategy, "pretty good" isn't going to cut it. Everything is going to have to be excellent or better.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan, have they called you yet?
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
snichols wrote:
MrClean wrote:
Jberg wrote:

J

Maybe, but most players do not have every piece in the repertoire at "audition level" at all times. It is really difficult to keep 40 or more plates spinning at one time, particularly when the list is general and not specific passages. You end up with a huge list played pretty well instead of a reasonable list played exceptionally well. One theory for the long list is to discourage weaker or inexperienced players from applying, but you may end up weeding out great players that have jobs that preclude them from simultaneously working up an enormous list while performing the duties of their current job. If you are thoughtful enough in constructing a list, you can quickly determine the quality of the candidate. The CSO has a couple of strategic excerpts on this list to identify the players most qualified for this job, but they've also given folks a shot at making a great impression by not making the list oppressively long. Given this strategy, "pretty good" isn't going to cut it. Everything is going to have to be excellent or better.

Ah, okay. Great, thanks for the insight!
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:

Maybe they just want someone who plays really sharp.
UsedToKnowEverything

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
MrClean wrote:

Maybe they just want someone who plays really sharp.

So, you're implying the strings had a hand in making the list!? Disturbing..
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that is certain and that is there are very few in the world who are qualified for that chair.
R. Tomasek
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
One thing that is certain and that is there are very few in the world who are qualified for that chair.
R. Tomasek

Ain't that the truth. Best of wishes to them and all auditioning!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be cool to see Phil Smith in that chair!
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
It'd be cool to see Phil Smith in that chair!

What a glorious sound that would be!

But it would be kind of ironic: he would be going full circle on his career!

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: