• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CSO now open

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
I can't believe Mohan didn't get thru!

DB

He's too busy trolling people about buzzing their mouthpieces.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnarok wrote:
Nobody advanced from prelims.

It was a fantasy of mine that Hooten, Hughes, Vosburgh vs. any others that may have been pre advanced to the finals lit up symphony hall on the 19th, only going on those who guested with the CSO btw, im not even sure this makes sense, but for the sake of followers of this thread, who if anyone has pulled the trumpet from the stone?

Geez, i figured at least a handful would have advanced to the finals. Tough sledding. I know guys are trolling john mohan, but it was an achievement that he advanced back in the day i think, just coming in as an outsider.

So all these difficulties with auditions with ny, berlin and presumably, has trumpet playing gotten worse over the years?

My impression was that save for a few legends, trumpet playing on the whole was better today than ever.
trumpetplayer0103

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So all these difficulties with auditions with ny, berlin and presumably, has trumpet playing gotten worse over the years?

My impression was that save for a few legends, trumpet playing on the whole was better today than ever.

I don't think that trumpet playing has gotten worse, per se. I think that perhaps classical trumpet players aren't learning from the discoveries of others. I've noticed that they can be very set in their ways, and many don't look outside the realm of classical trumpet playing to become better players. We have an unprecedented level of knowledge that often isn't exploited.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as we can know a winner can someone please share?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:
Nobody advanced from prelims.

It was a fantasy of mine that Hooten, Hughes, Vosburgh vs. any others that may have been pre advanced to the finals lit up symphony hall on the 19th, only going on those who guested with the CSO btw, im not even sure this makes sense, but for the sake of followers of this thread, who if anyone has pulled the trumpet from the stone?

Geez, i figured at least a handful would have advanced to the finals. Tough sledding. I know guys are trolling john mohan, but it was an achievement that he advanced back in the day i think, just coming in as an outsider.

No, classical trumpeting has almost definitely gotten better. The scope of what the judges will accept has gotten much narrower. Refer to Mark Gould's quote about Mel Broiles and the state of orchestral trumpeting. I think it was during a brass chats interview or something...
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. The bar has been raised significantly, the cream of the crop is just outstanding, and there are fewer openings than in the past as the number of major orchestras has dwindled. A couple of top-tier players have posted excerpts with descriptions of what they lack and it is scary, or at least humbling, to an amateur like me what they considered "poor" playing.
anonymous22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite remarkable that top tier players like Mark Inouye in New York; Hughes, Vosburgh, Hooten in Chicago, etc are not "good enough" for those respective orchestras. I really would be curious to know what the committees believe sets Chris Martin's playing a cut above the aforementioned.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:

DB

I didn't audition. Too busy reading Gottfried Reiche's lame posts.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, classical trumpeting has almost definitely gotten better. The scope of what the judges will accept has gotten much narrower. Refer to Mark Gould's quote about Mel Broiles and the state of orchestral trumpeting. I think it was during a brass chats interview or something...

This one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hSHoUk0eTWM

It's a great interview. About 45 min. He says some things that musicians as a whole may not want to hear but are pretty true nonetheless.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
A couple of top-tier players have posted excerpts with descriptions of what they lack and it is scary, or at least humbling, to an amateur like me what they considered "poor" playing.

You happen to know where these posts are? Would be curious to see that.
ChicagoTrumpet229

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know guys are trolling john mohan, but it was an achievement that he advanced back in the day i think, just coming in as an outsider.

For the record, John Mohan has not advanced in any CSO auditions. He has only played prelim rounds, which are open for any and all, as the CSO does not screen preliminary candidates. John has, however, posted prolifically about preparing for this open preliminary round. John, please correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure the CSO will find not only a sufficient player, but the "right" player through this process.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous22 wrote:
I find it quite remarkable that top tier players like Mark Inouye in New York; Hughes, Vosburgh, Hooten in Chicago, etc are not "good enough" for those respective orchestras. I really would be curious to know what the committees believe sets Chris Martin's playing a cut above the aforementioned.

It's not that they aren't good enough. Any one of those guys could do the job equally well and suitably. But it's not about suitable at that level. It has to be the perfect fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoTrumpet229 wrote:

I know guys are trolling john mohan, but it was an achievement that he advanced back in the day i think, just coming in as an outsider.

For the record, John Mohan has not advanced in any CSO auditions. He has only played prelim rounds, which are open for any and all, as the CSO does not screen preliminary candidates. John has, however, posted prolifically about preparing for this open preliminary round. John, please correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure the CSO will find not only a sufficient player, but the "right" player through this process.

Here's an excerpt (pardon the pun) from the post I wrote three days after my (one and only) audition with the CSO:

John Mohan wrote:
Hi there everybody,

Sorry this didn't get posted sooner. I tried to post it yesterday, but there was something wrong and I couldn't access the website. But here it is now:

What an experience it was!!!

I've never experienced such a rush before! It is my firm belief that there is no need for bungie jumping, sky diving, or any of the other "thrill sports" and various adrenaline-pumping things people do to scare the daylights out of themselves - not when there's something available such as auditioning for a Symphony Orchestra available.

And here's the results:

First, I have to say that what I played and how I played was a good and fair representation of my skills in the arena of orchestral-style playing. Despite being scared out of my wits and nervous, I played the Haydn and each and every excerpt they requested pretty much to the level I could play them when in the sanctuary of my practice room during this past week (in other words, I'm not making up any excuses).

But at my present level, I was not good enough to satisfy the audition committee, as I did not get voted into the final round. Two individuals did. Forgive me for not remembering or writing down their names, but the adrenaline was still fuzzying up my brain functions - I can tell you their audition numbers were 18 and 19 (mine was 22). Both of the two who will go on to the finals had flown in for the audition - one all the way from Israel - so I'm happy for them that the time and expense they devoted to this has paid off for them so far. I'm not sure how many, if any of the September 7th auditionees were asked to return for the finals in the end of October.

Though again, due to my adrenalized state of (non)awareness, I might not be remembering every excerpt we played, here's at least a partial list:

Haydn or Hummel (player's choice) plus:
Stravinsky's Petrouchka
Beethoven's Leonore #3 off stage solo
Strauss: Ein Heldenleben Eb Trumpet 1 (7 measures before Rehearsal number 50 through Rehearsal number 55)
Wagner: Parsifal

The post goes on and is rather long, but for reference purposes, it is available here:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23950&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=24

P.S. Quick edit that I should have included before: Thank you for the kind words roccotrumpetsiffredi! Concerning the trolls on the TH, I recall a saying I once heard: "No one notices the 99 people in the Marching Band who are in-step." I try to go in the other direction and notice the 99% here on the TH who don't troll...

Last edited by John Mohan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Daniel Barenboim wrote:

DB

He's too busy trolling people about buzzing their mouthpieces.

The irony here is astounding.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
ChicagoTrumpet229 wrote:

Here's an excerpt (pardon the pun) from the post I wrote three days after my (one and only) audition with the CSO:

John Mohan wrote:
Hi there everybody,

Sorry this didn't get posted sooner. I tried to post it yesterday, but there was something wrong and I couldn't access the website. But here it is now:

What an experience it was!!!

I've never experienced such a rush before! It is my firm belief that there is no need for bungie jumping, sky diving, or any of the other "thrill sports" and various adrenaline-pumping things people do to scare the daylights out of themselves - not when there's something available such as auditioning for a Symphony Orchestra available.

And here's the results:

First, I have to say that what I played and how I played was a good and fair representation of my skills in the arena of orchestral-style playing. Despite being scared out of my wits and nervous, I played the Haydn and each and every excerpt they requested pretty much to the level I could play them when in the sanctuary of my practice room during this past week (in other words, I'm not making up any excuses).

But at my present level, I was not good enough to satisfy the audition committee, as I did not get voted into the final round. Two individuals did. Forgive me for not remembering or writing down their names, but the adrenaline was still fuzzying up my brain functions - I can tell you their audition numbers were 18 and 19 (mine was 22). Both of the two who will go on to the finals had flown in for the audition - one all the way from Israel - so I'm happy for them that the time and expense they devoted to this has paid off for them so far. I'm not sure how many, if any of the September 7th auditionees were asked to return for the finals in the end of October.

Though again, due to my adrenalized state of (non)awareness, I might not be remembering every excerpt we played, here's at least a partial list:

Haydn or Hummel (player's choice) plus:
Stravinsky's Petrouchka
Beethoven's Leonore #3 off stage solo
Strauss: Ein Heldenleben Eb Trumpet 1 (7 measures before Rehearsal number 50 through Rehearsal number 55)
Wagner: Parsifal

The post goes on and is rather long, but for reference purposes, it is available here:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23950&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=24

"Next!"

DB
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
"Next!"

DB

I've got to admit, you are funny!
ChicagoTrumpet229

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Daniel Barenboim wrote:
"Next!"

DB

I've got to admit, you are funny!

John, I meant no harm by my comment, or to discount your efforts. Providing some clarity in the peanut gallery.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoTrumpet229 wrote:
John, I meant no harm by my comment, or to discount your efforts. Providing some clarity in the peanut gallery.

No problem at all! I'm all about accuracy.

Wondering who you are though, with your brand new ID. I'm guessing we know each other.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Quote:

This one:

It's a great interview. About 45 min. He says some things that musicians as a whole may not want to hear but are pretty true nonetheless.

I'm just over halfway through this video. It is fantastic.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:
Quote:

This one:

I'm just over halfway through this video. It is fantastic.

Agreed. I can see how some people would call him pessimistic, but I think he's just being real and honest. I don't think it will go as far as all musicians in the US being amateurs, but I think it will sway more in that direction when it comes to instrumentalists. I really enjoyed watching that interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: