• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double buzz is back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Double buzz is back? Reply with quote

I frequently warm down by playing three chromatic tones - C, B, Bb - then pedal Bb in open (or C), then repeating that going down in half steps. I've noticed that the next day my chops usually feel great after doing this.

But lately, in the past week or week-and-a-half, that whole low area from low Bb or A (esp. around low F#) down into the pedals, I've got a nasty double buzz. Makes playing below the staff rather unbearable when the tone is so ugly sounding.

I've been doing a lot of range stuff lately, working on one particular piece where I've got to play a good number of C#s above the staff, so that may have something to do with it, causing fatigue or bruising or something.

Any idea what I can do to combat this? Any clue what exactly might be causing it?

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one thing that can cause it: embouchure overuse syndrome, which can cause your subconscious to create a "flinch" or "wince" reflex in your chin muscles. It's the brain's way of trying to protect the chops from further abuse. If you've never experienced this before, you probably wouldn't even realize it's happening. It can produce symptoms like double-buzzing and garbage in the tone while playing.

If that's what you're struggling with, Lucinda Lewis's book, Embouchure Rehabilitation, explains what causes it and how to fix it. You can read more about it on her website: embouchures.com.
Piccolo Stomvi
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're overdoing it.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a double-buzz when I allow too much lower lip into the cup and, for me, playing pedals can almost guarantee this will happen.

Try doing low chromatics C down to F# for your warm-down and see what happens.

Kent
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is to listen to your body and take things a little easier, rest a little more, and be more patient with yourself.

Another perspective: I do a bit of doubling on trombone and euphonium. If I start to get tired on those horns, sometime my mechanics get a little messed up (they're way more solidified on trumpet). If I descend into the lower register I can get a double buzz. A little awareness of the tracking of the lips and mouthpiece up and down the face (something like what Reinhardt called the pivot) usually clears it up.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double buzz does not necessarily involve fatigue. Players can produce a double buzz even when they're fresh.

Double buzzing involves improper positioning of the lower lip. Sometimes it's due to fatigue. Sometimes it's due to improper technique.

If you experience double buzzing you need to position your lower lip differently from the way you are then positioning it (further out or further in).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: