• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Biviano has always been an interesting lead player

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:
Really love his playing on the "Very Alive At Ronnie Scott's" recording. Definitely a favorite Buddy Rich recording. I believe that Lin teaches at Berkley in Boston now. There is a recorded interview out there somewhere that Jake Sommers did. I wanted to do a web page for him on my website; however, could never connect with him.

Yes, Lin Biviano is currently on the faculty at Berklee College of Music.

What could Lin be teaching? He's not a trumpet professor is he?
Or is he teaching classes or leading ensembles?

Anybody know?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New.Vintage wrote:
What could Lin be teaching? He's not a trumpet professor is he? Or is he teaching classes or leading ensembles?

Anybody know?

https://www.berklee.edu/people/lin-biviano
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin teaches a jazz ensemble at Berklee.

The man is the all around great jazz trumpet player. Not only a beyond amazing lead/high note man but absolutely smokin hot licks on improv too. My observations certainly biased as I prefer that kind trumpet player over the purely jazz soloist who for whatever reason doesnt play above the high C.

Lin's featured in the coda, jazz soloing with Count Basie on the chart "Things Aint What They Used To Be" is an inspiring, kind of magic high note solo. Reminds me of Cat Anderson but even groovier licks. Again, that's just the kind of jazz playing which I crave. Hot lick after hot lick. Sorta like Nat Adderly but with even more register.

Anyone who wants to learn to play good blues solos? I suggest you listen to lots of Nat Adderly. The man was "Hot Licks On File". He a veritable juke box of the best & funkiest blues notes. But getting back to Lin....

Between the two? Cat Anderson had a little more register than Lin but I tend to enjoy Lin's work more. My only complaint is that I wish more recordings of his life existed.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
tptjazzboy28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Robert P"]
New.Vintage wrote:
What could Lin be teaching? He's not a trumpet professor is he? Or is he teaching classes or leading ensembles?

Anybody know?

Lin teaches a few ensembles through the ensemble department at Berklee. For years he was also teaching privately through the brass department, but I'm not sure how many students he currently has.

ACB- Nashville
PATRICK Mouthpieces
Belmont University
Nashville, TN
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at the very least this thread got me to listen to all of MF Horn 4&5 Live at Jimmy's again. Haven't listen to this in years.

A few cuts that really stand out are 2 for Otis a YouTube comment says
"tighter than a fat kid in spandex" and I really liked some of the groovy tracks like Teonva and Left Bank Express.

The band sounds great and Maynard was really unstoppable all over that album! Fun to listen to after all these years. And ok ....Lin sounds pretty good as well
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New.Vintage wrote:
mm55 wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:
Really love his playing on the "Very Alive At Ronnie Scott's" recording. Definitely a favorite Buddy Rich recording. I believe that Lin teaches at Berkley in Boston now. There is a recorded interview out there somewhere that Jake Sommers did. I wanted to do a web page for him on my website; however, could never connect with him.

Yes, Lin Biviano is currently on the faculty at Berklee College of Music.

What could Lin be teaching? He's not a trumpet professor is he?
Or is he teaching classes or leading ensembles?

Anybody know?

As of the spring semester of 2016, Lin Biviano was an Associate Professor in the Ensemble Department, and he also taught individual trumpet students.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg

Last edited by mm55 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who bends the sbout section on Freckle Face like Lin did on that Montreux 77 album... And that high G kiss off.. oy vey. I burned a hole in that LP in the 80's listening to him.

Like his style or not there is no doubt he played with energy and enthusiasm (especially on tambourine!).. there is alot of overly careful technically great playing out there that lacks the drive Lin played with. Like Roger said.. you play what the boss wants. Some want it tight, clean, and sterile... Some want grease and personality.

It's a great exercise to take a Basie standard and listen to the various interpretation​s over the years from various lead players... Snooky, Stahl, Biviano, Mike Williams, etc... They each play it their own way.

My advice to a guy wanting to be a commercial lead player would be to be able to emulate all of them. Some tunes need that Biviano edge.. some need Dave Stahl's laser precision... now and then you have to put it in the pocket like Snooky.. Some charts need Roger's hard driving swing and knock out punch high A (or D!).

Be all those guys.
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, take a listen to Dave Stahl with Buddy on this clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLyqh63-cz_ReobfKunPgv2ktJUEKQmKjr&v=_575qr30slg

Tons of verve and excitement, absolutely driving the band. Not one clam, near perfect intonation and style. And a sound to die for as a lead trumpet player.

Or here's about an hour of Dave in the lead chair on Buddy's band. The "West Side Story" on this cut is one of the best I've heard.

He's Dave with Woody. Dave sounds like Chase, but cleaner, better intonation, and still nails the snot out of the lead book.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLyqh63-cz_ReobfKunPgv2ktJUEKQmKjr&params=OAFIAVgC&v=Kk0I-YdRF3w&mode=NORMAL

If I'd want to emulate a lead trumpet player with wicked high chops, finesse, style, and CONTROL, I'd want to sound like Dave Stahl.
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, this is the hour long Buddy clip I meant to add to my last post:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLyqh63-cz_ReobfKunPgv2ktJUEKQmKjr&params=OAFIAVgH&v=QRKc90kuAaE&mode=NORMAL
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And wanna hear what triples should sound like?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLyqh63-cz_ReobfKunPgv2ktJUEKQmKjr&params=OAFIAVgH&v=QRKc90kuAaE&mode=NORMAL

Check out the lines starting a 24:00, then listen to Dave play in octaves ending on a triple F. Perfect, clean and in unexpected, all the way up to his F.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New.Vintage wrote:

Check out the lines starting a 24:00, then listen to Dave play in octaves ending on a triple F. Perfect, clean and in unexpected, all the way up to his F.

Don't think I've ever seen that live set before. That is such a ridiculously hot band. Not exactly on topic here, but the sax section is not too shabby either.

New.Vintage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
New.Vintage wrote:

Don't think I've ever seen that live set before. That is such a ridiculously hot band. Not exactly on topic here, but the sax section is not too shabby either.

Agreed, the reeds are insane tight, and burnin solos. Also I think this might be my favorite of all the Buddy bands. Just insane precision and attitude.

And Stahl....come on, that's just my favorite most exciting clean lead trumpet player. So clear, bright, BUT plays with dynamics, control and has a great sense of style, and double Cs and beyond that just don't stop!!
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the first to admit this arrangement of the Carpenter's "Superstar" recorded by Woody Herman borders on exciting and cheesy equally. But it was the 70s so I cut the band some slack

Dave Stahl obviously plays the part and nails all the high notes, but I think this recording really shows off his sound. It's hard to describe, it has so much richness and core, but also so bright and colorful. Often you either get one or the other, but man, I think Dave has a sound to die for.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xI__lJbhB90
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New.Vintage wrote:

What ledger line above the staff are you calling a "triple F"?
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New.Vintage wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
New.Vintage wrote:

Agreed, the reeds are insane tight, and burnin solos. Also I think this might be my favorite of all the Buddy bands. Just insane precision and attitude.

And Stahl....come on, that's just my favorite most exciting clean lead trumpet player. So clear, bright, BUT plays with dynamics, control and has a great sense of style, and double Cs and beyond that just don't stop!!

Burnin!
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
New.Vintage wrote:

What ledger line above the staff are you calling a "triple F"?

Stahl played an F above double C. Is that what's called a triple?? Idk...9 ledger lines I guess?
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Biviano has always been an interesting lead player Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't heard a version of "Maynard Ferguson" that I like as well as Maynard's and it's because his has a rough-edged, fiery, swinging for the fence quality - it's there on every performance of it I've heard by Maynard. Eric Miyashiro for example plays it solid but he almost sounds like he's playing an Arban's exercise.

I like this one ... effortless ...

Link

Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Biviano has always been an interesting lead player Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Quote:

I haven't heard a version of "Maynard Ferguson" that I like as well as Maynard's and it's because his has a rough-edged, fiery, swinging for the fence quality - it's there on every performance of it I've heard by Maynard. Eric Miyashiro for example plays it solid but he almost sounds like he's playing an Arban's exercise.

That's the first version I encountered of someone attempting it besides Maynard. I have it on video somewhere. I guess he was in college at the time. Too rushed at the beginning, he wasn't getting any of the pacing and musicality of Maynard's. I'm sure he worked on it really hard however he cuts corners in some places where I think Maynard's original licks were just beyond his ability to execute. I believe when Maynard first did it with Kenton he was about the same age as Scott was in this video. Maynard didn't have a model to emulate, it was let's see what you can do with this new chart.

The problem with doing an iconic piece is if you don't really nail it, it's glaringly obvious. The difference between the genuine article and a pretty good Chinese knockoff.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Biviano has always been an interesting lead player Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:
Quote:

That's the first version I encountered of someone attempting it besides Maynard. I have it on video somewhere. I guess he was in college at the time. Too rushed at the beginning, he wasn't getting any of the pacing and musicality of Maynard's. I'm sure he worked on it really hard however he cuts corners in some places where I think Maynard's original licks were just beyond his ability to execute. I believe when Maynard first did it with Kenton he was about the same age as Scott was in this video. Maynard didn't have a model to emulate, it was let's see what you can do with this new chart.

The problem with doing an iconic piece is if you don't really nail it, it's glaringly obvious. The difference between the genuine article and a pretty good Chinese knockoff.

Not fussed on the "Chinese knockoff" comment.

IMO Scooter played the piss out of this chart. As for the "beyond his ability to execute" - that's laughable. The guy has chops to spare, and then some. Musical interpretation is what I heard.

I consider Scooter's MF to be 2nd only to Mayn's. Superb energy, and such an alive tone.

YMMV

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Biviano has always been an interesting lead player Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

IMO Scooter played the piss out of this chart. As for the "beyond his ability to execute" - that's laughable. The guy has chops to spare, and then some. Musical interpretation is what I heard.

No argument that Scott's a solid player. He does a better job on it than a lot of people could myself included. However I don't think he could match Maynard's album performance of this note for note even today.

To look at it from a different angle, do you think Scott is the equal of Kenton-era Maynard?
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: