• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Certain Mouthpieces don't fit my lead pipe.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
casivake718

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Certain Mouthpieces don't fit my lead pipe. Reply with quote

I've noticed that my K-Modified Trumpet lead pipe doesn't make mouthpieces like a Vincent Bach or a Bobby Shew fit snug in my lead pipe. It always has a small wiggle. I usually just put a small bit tape on the mouthpiece shank so it could fit. But I want to know a mouthpiece adapter I should buy for this problem.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a tech. Take it to your favorite shop and have them look at it. If there's a problem with the receiver, they can fix or replace it.
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it can be regarded that there are two approaches to fixing this.

A repair tech can determine the cause of the extra size. Perhaps some adjustment may be there to correct the problem. If there is no ability to adjust the receiver, then it's possible to replace it if there are parts available.

The second course of action is to modify your mouthpiece. Bob Reeves has his system to modify the mouthpiece to accept sleeves of varying diameters that will fit your receiver better.

I have also seen alternatives to sleeves at james-r-new.com and frostcustombrass.com. There may be others, but these are the ones most visible at this time.

It's possible your tech may be able to do the Reeves direction at his/her own shop. New and Frost require sending your mouthpiece to them.

If you have a tech close-by, it may be worthwhile to see if the receiver can be adjusted first. This is probably the least expensive, and then any mouthpiece will likely fit your horn.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Radtke:

If you have two different mouthpieces from two different manufactures that would indicate something is wrong in the receiver. Both mouthpieces could be damaged on the end of the shank, not likely, you could find a new mpcs and test that for wiggle.

There maybe something in your receiver, a bead of solder, dirt, bent, out of round, a lot of reasons. Look at it with a flashlight and feel in there with a toothpick.

If it's a receiver problem, using a sleeve won't help. Possibly a tech could lightly clean the taper and that might help. The mouthpiece could be touching the leadpipe.

What's different and what's the same. Take your mpcs to a music store and see if they wiggle in new trumpet.

GR
www.grmouthpieces.com
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Selmer K-modified is an "original" horn, it was made before all of the trumpet manufacturers defaulted to the "Bach standard shank taper." I am not as familiar with Selmer's receivers as I am with Bach, Olds, H. N. White era King, and Blessing, but it may be a different proprietary taper, which would cause the mouthpiece to wobble or not seat correctly.

Additionally, if it is an original that has been played a lot, the receiver could be worn, causing a modern mouthpiece to "wallow" in the receiver.

Yes, as stated above, it is time for a tech to see if you need a receiver adjustment or replacement.
Gartex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Reeves can help you with this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: