• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm hearing is you're not facile with fingering - you're still stumbling over which buttons to press - is that correct? If so you need to develop your feedback loop to where you don't have to think about which buttons to push just like you just know where the slide goes with trombone.

Start with page 11 (on mine) exercise 1 of the Arbans. On my copy it's exercises 1 - 6. All whole notes and half notes in the key of C. As slow as necessary to do it cleanly without fumbling for the fingering. Do exercise 1 until you can do it without fumbling. Then move on to exercise 2. Exercise 6 introduces the first accidentals. When you get through exercise 6 start at the top - exercise 1 and do the page again. Then do it again. Then do it again. When you can do all the exercises on that page comfortably go to page 12 exercise 7 where more accidentals are introduced. Exercise 9 introduces the first new key signatures. The fingering for new notes is already written in on exercise 1 - 10. Same drill, go over 7 - 10 until you don't have to fumble for the fingering.

There's also a fingering chart at the beginning of the book from low F# to high C.

When 1 - 10 become second nature keep going.

For more familiarity with different keys page 59 (on mine) starts the section on scales in all the keys.

Btw, if my understanding is correct and you're at that rudimentary an inability to read, how have you managed to work up anything to play? I'm also wondering why your teacher hasn't addressed this? Or have they?

Last edited by Robert P on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
I tried to practice today- I really did. I wasn't going for range, and I do SO much technique that i thought it might be good to "work on some sight-reading".

When in doubt, S-L-O-W D-O-W-N. If your level is "Hot Cross Buns" then "Hot Cross Buns" it is. If it's going from C to G in the staff, so be it.

Sight reading takes work to learn, goodness knows I'm not good at it. Find your level and be happy there, you'll go up.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll repeat what I said earlier:

1.) Arbans
2.) Metronome

You really don't need anything else. There is not trick or shortcut - time in the practice room, and structured repetition will get you where you want to go, and probably faster than you might think, at least where learning fingerings and treble clef are concerned.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErikE wrote:
I would suggest transcribing a song you're familiar with into the treble clef.

I think this caused some confusion for me in this thread. The OP wrote "reading in Bb," but I think he means to refer to reading in treble clef. Simply reading the note as a different pitch, due to thinking innately in some clef other than treble.

I can relate to that; when called upon to play bass clef, I read it in treble clef and transpose it to bass. Not at all the best way of going about things.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
ErikE wrote:
I would suggest transcribing a song you're familiar with into the treble clef.

I think this caused some confusion for me in this thread. The OP wrote "reading in Bb," but I think he means to refer to reading in treble clef. Simply reading the note as a different pitch, due to thinking innately in some clef other than treble.

I can relate to that; when called upon to play bass clef, I read it in treble clef and transpose it to bass. Not at all the best way of going about things.

That's right on the mark. There really is no tip or trick that's going to make it easier. Sometimes the best approach is to stop trying to find a better, more efficient way, and just get in the practice room, start at basics, and build from there, but there has to be dedication by the player in working toward that goal.

I've probably posted this story at least once here on the forum, but it bears repeating because I think it's relevant here.

I went to a drumming event and attended percussion clinic. After the performance was over, the clinician, a collegiate level percussion instructor, told a story about his development as a percussionist. When he was a Freshman in college, he wasn't happy with his drum rolls, so he approached his instructor to ask what he could do to improve his roll. What he wanted was some sage tip or trick that his instructor was going to confide in him that would help.

Instead, his instructor simply said, "if you want to improve your roll, then roll - 10 minutes a day, every day."

He went on to say that basically, there are no shortcuts - that sometimes you just have to get in the practice room and spend some focused time working to refine whatever it is you want to refine because that's the only way you'll build the neural pathways and the fine muscle control to improve it.

And that takes me back to what I said early about the Arbans/metronome, along with going back to that old saying we kick around here all the time - don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this is awesome advice. The so-called "trick" is just to slow down to the point where your playing is synchronized with your brain; just play everything as slowly as you need to. Someone mentioned "The Inner Game of Tennis," a great recommendation given that you said this practice session was "humiliating." Who are you trying to impress? If you are just trying to get better, does it really matter if you have to really slow down to learn how to play it right? I'm assuming you are practicing at home or in a practice room, not on the stage at Carnegie Hall, right?

I agree with everyone here who said play it slowly. The idea is to get the treble clef playing firmly implanted into your brain, so that the technical part becomes body memory. Don't put a time limit on it, and just speed up when you feel ready to, slowing down if it becomes too confusing. Remember when you first began playing music on your trombone? You were happy to just be able to produce a sound. Take the pressure off yourself. Slow down and have fun.

Oh, and I edited this to recommend a book that is like "The Inner Game of Tennis," only written especially for musicians. It is "Effortless Mastery," written by Kenny Werner. I would recommend it to any musician.

Good luck!
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
Hogerheyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give to improve your sight reading is do more sight reading. When I was struggling reading for bass guitar, I purchased 3 bass guitar sight reading books. The idea is to read through each exercise or song without stopping. Don't go back to correct mistakes, then on to the next one, etc, etc..... This was the best way for me to learn positioning on the bass, and improve my ability to shift positions readily.
After having 7 years off playing trumpet, I have applied this same principle to trumpet sight reading. To get my reading skills back to where they used to be, I simply read through a heap of different charts each day, without going back to correct any mistakes. Forcing my brain to focus better.
Don't confuse sight reading practice with technical practice. Technical practice is a repetitive process to gain muscle memory. Like doing Clarke exercises, Arban exercises and such. Preparing a piece for your lesson is not sight reading. It is a gradual and repetitive process to learn that specific repertoire.
As simple as his answer is, Larry Smithee hit the nail on the head.
Read, read, read. Be patient and it will improve.

The way you play today is a direct result of how you practiced yesterday.
Make tomorrow a great day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: