• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much if any theory did Buddy Rich know?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: How much if any theory did Buddy Rich know? Reply with quote

I know he was big on drum technique but did he know anything about the nuts and bolts of composition, arranging, harmony etc.?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How much if any theory did Buddy Rich know? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
...did he know anything about the nuts and bolts of composition, arranging, harmony etc.?

No. I doubt Buddy knew the difference between a whole note and a quarter note. He never learned to read music. I've always considered Buddy Rich to be the greatest snare durmmer of all time.
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How much if any theory did Buddy Rich know? Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
Robert P wrote:
...did he know anything about the nuts and bolts of composition, arranging, harmony etc.?

No. I doubt Buddy knew the difference between a whole note and a quarter note. He never learned to read music. I've always considered Buddy Rich to be the greatest snare durmmer of all time.

I believe the great Henry Adler taught Buddy to read music, who also ran a music shop in NYC. Coincidentally, this eBay Committee ad shows a receipt from his shop...

1948 Martin Committee Deluxe Trumpet - Near Perfect Condition
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Buddy Reply with quote

I can say with certainty that Buddy could not read a note, nor did he need to. The recording we did with Sammy Davis, Jr. was done at 4 in the morning after we finished our gig ("The Sounds Of '66" and the charts were handed out then. Buddy had such an innate sense he literally played them down the first time and for what it's worth, so did Sammy. When we were starting the first rehearsal with his new band (after leaving Harry in 1966) Oliver Nelson was "hired" to write the new charts. He showed up with a stack of music that had been recorded earlier by Jimmy Smith and his own "Blues and the Abstract Truth" recording. One of the charts was "Hoe Down" which had some different time signatures. Buddy did want to hear that one first before he played it. He never missed anything.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To riff off of that, I attended a rehearsal of the Tonight Show Band that had Buddy as a guest artist that evening.

Buddy listened to the tune once, from the front of the band, with Shaughnessy
playing. I thought it was maybe Buddy's band's arrangement and that Buddy was just checking out the interpretation or precision of the performance.

Buddy listened to the tune, then traded places with Ed. He then played the chart with the band ONCE through, beautifully, not skipping a beat.

What blew me away was that, later, I found out that that wasn't Buddy's chart at all, but the Tonight Show Band's chart and Buddy was just "sight-reading".
Absolutely phenomenal!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy used to have a drummer who also set up the band,at least when I was on the band. When a new chart came in,the drummer/roadie would play the chart and Buddy would watch,and memorize the arrangement. He would then play it once thru and have it..Once he had it, he HAD IT..No I would not have used Buddy to sight read anything,but he did have a firm understanding of form..I would also say that his aggressive way of playing kind of leaned the chart into that intensity..even the Ballads.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Steve Arnold was one those drummers. Wasn't he married to Cathy Rich?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: