• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

I tried to practice today- I really did. I wasn't going for range, and I do SO much technique that i thought it might be good to "work on some sight-reading".

Unfortunately I cannot sightread, nor read, Bb to save the entire world or the things in it. It was seriously so disheartening that I just gave up for the day.
I just can't understand nor visualize how it could be possible to be THIS bad. Even taking the metronome down, tapping my foot, I can barely play simple stuff. It's unbelievable. On top of that, my sound is awful when sight-reading, note-relationship accuracy is absolutely horrendous, and for the moment I just CANNOT sight read at all.

PLEASE, guys, I really need some tips to get my note-reading up to at least a respectable level. A LOT of time is wasted in my lesson because I struggle and make mistakes when reading through tunes. I can sightread quite well in bass clef on trombone, but I struggle to play rhythms correctly and am VERY bad with note-recognition in Bb for some reason.

Hope there's help out there! It's really bothersome that this *core* ability isn't there when I've made SO much progress in ALL other areas.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not like this answer, but slow it down more than you are. Not, 20 or 30 bpm slower, but like, 1/4 time or slower. Don't rush it and go as slowly as you need to to sound good and feel comfortable with note accuracy. Is it boring? Yes. But that's what we all do. Even as an advanced player, when I'm learning technical licks for pieces where the tempo marking is 150 or 160 bpm, I'm slowing it down to 50 or 60 bpm. Yes, it's more fun to play things at tempo, but you need to give your brain a chance to learn it correctly. Even if it means slowing it down so much that your metronome is beating the 8th note instead of the quarter note.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:

Unfortunately I cannot sightread, nor read, Bb to save the entire world or the things in it.

What does this mean? Are you trying to transpose?

oops, I missed the bass clef part.

Kent

Last edited by oxleyk on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people are great speakers and on some very high level- that doesn't mean the rest of us should shut up because we all need to speak.
you start with the horn with what you can do. you should have some simple warm up where you can make the lower registers sound good. that's a start. if you are having trouble with simple things, take simple melodies, yankee doodle and such, and play and sightread them. when you've memorized them play them on a keyboard or keyboard app and then play them on trumpet with sheet music. learn both the keyboard position, the keyboard transposition, that is, the key of C starts on Bb for trumpet, and the sheet music. if you stay simple you will be able to build on that.
take some heart. you have to be able to do something on the instrument. and don't cry about lacks as we all have them. work on patching up your holes.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can sightread quite well in bass clef on trombone, but I struggle to play rhythms correctly and am VERY bad with note-recognition in Bb for some reason.

You think in bass clef and your ears are used to trombone and its scale. Bb trumpet has a different point of reference that you are not used to. If I said play a G in the staff, would you know what it sounds like before playing? Probably not, eh? Keep working and listening and finding points of reference. If I'm not getting what you are trying to do, please correct me.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:

PLEASE, guys, I really need some tips to get my note-reading up

Sing it. Seriously, that is what you need to do. Plow your way through sight reading, super slow, one short phrase at a time, after which you put the horn down and sing it.

It is perfectly normal for tone to go to pot while sight reading. You would like to push buttons and have the correct notes pop out like magic, in tune and sounding good. This instrument just does not work that way.

If you expect to have good tone while sight reading, you must be able to SING what you're sight-reading, "in your head," as you play it. You have to know what those dots on the paper are trying to signify, in terms of SOUND.

I have approached this instrument the exact opposite from you, always prioritizing sight reading, rarely ever working on technique. Just the way I was taught. The good news is once you can do what I'm describing, you can also make music out of 'reading the ink.' Key fluency is a must!

Last edited by razeontherock on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
PLEASE, guys, I really need some tips to get my note-reading up to at least a respectable level.

It's not rocket science. You learn to read by reading. That's it. That's all there is to it.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
...I struggle to play rhythms correctly...

I would check out the Robert Starer book for a short practice session each day without your trumpet. Here are two reference posts: A Rhythmic Epiphany and A Rhythmic Challenge. This book has been used at Eastman and Juilliard.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
PLEASE, guys, I really need some tips to get my note-reading up to at least a respectable level. A LOT of time is wasted in my lesson because I struggle and make mistakes when reading through tunes. I can sightread quite well in bass clef on trombone, but I struggle to play rhythms correctly and am VERY bad with note-recognition in Bb for some reason.

Two words: Arbans, metronome.

Go back to basics (and Arban's takes things from about as basic as you can get) and just hit it over and over and over. You've got to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

Something else to keep in mind though - sometimes we have bad days in the practice room. In my younger days I'd just keep pounding it and pounding it, getting more frustrated, and ultimately doing more harm than good. These days if things aren't clicking at all, I put the horn in the case and either come back a good bit later, or sometimes come back to it the next day.

Just keep after it. Progress and success aren't measured in days - they're measured mostly in months and years.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
New.Vintage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a good internal sense of time, get a metronome....

Then just read. Anything and everything you can get your hands on. There are tons of free downloads of etude books, jazz etude books, and method books.

You just have to do it more and more. There is no trick. There ARE however only so many patterns, and note variations, and the more popular combinations are used over and over and over, and the more you get them under your belt the easier reading will be.

Start easier, and work your way up. When I read a new tune, I read from edge to edge with out stopping the first time. The go back and make corrections or go over hard parts. But I try and go non stop the first run through, good bad or ugly.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether you've read that book, Inner Tennis... if not, you should. Right now, you're letting your inner voice, what the book called "Self 2", the inner nag who criticizes your every little fault, dominate your thinking.

The author of the book explains how he discovered that tennis students who let Self 2, the nag, take over their thinking didn't do very well in learning to play tennis. We learn much better when we get Self 2 to calm down and be quiet while we let Self 1, the learner, go about his business. Let Self 1 observe and visualize what you're trying to do, make an attempt, calmly observe the faults and shortcomings, and then try again with corrections. Stay calm, observe, and learn.

This is how children learn to crawl, walk, talk, play games and everything else. They usually don't nag themselves while learning. They observe, try, fall down maybe, but then get back up and try again. It works much better this way.

Try sight reading some really easy tunes, maybe something out of a beginner book. Sing it a few times. Try to play it really slow. Observe your mistakes, then try again, with corrections. Don't talk to yourself or nag yourself, at all. Just think about what the music will sound like when you play it well. Stay calm and enjoy the music.
Piccolo Stomvi

Last edited by dstdenis on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your teacher's advice?

Don't get in a fuss. Set a goal - in 6 months aim to be noticeably better. Now work on it. Play and read well known melodies as well as things you don't know. The Franz book is pretty easy and may be a good start.

Clap, sing, play, repeat. Go slowly. Use a metronome. Do this every time you practice, do this a lot and you will get better. Oh, and ask your teacher.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've almost never practiced sight reading. Instead just threw myself in with bands which practiced 5 days/week.

The pressure of a live rehearsal and esp a live audience will always tighten you up the faster. When you trumpet playing goes pro you'd be surprised at how rapidly you improve. Improvement is weakness leaving the body.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28030
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Most humiliating practice session (attempt) ever. Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
PLEASE, guys, I really need some tips to get my note-reading up to at least a respectable level. A LOT of time is wasted in my lesson because I struggle and make mistakes when reading through tunes. .....

Not to pick on you, and you have received some good suggestions here, but why would you be sight reading lesson material? Did I misunderstand? Do you
mean a sight reading portion of your lesson?

I do have students show up to a lesson and because they are unprepared are basically sight reading, this certainly is not what is supposed to happen during a private lesson.

So did I miss something?

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'd establish a foundation by playing something like the Clarke Technical Studies. When you do, don't get complacent when you figure out the pattern. Instead, make yourself glare at the notes and play them at a tempo that allows you to follow with your eyes as you play.

I'm also a big fan of working on sightreading off the horn. You can't sightread for hours on a brass instrument so instead do it on a piano.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - lots of replies here in a short time! Seems like there's a good number of unanimous tips that I can take away from this. Wish I could address each individual comment… I will for those that I wanna reply to

[quote="snichols”]
You may not like this answer, but slow it down more than you are. [/quote]

In honesty, I think this is where I’ve been going wrong! Gotta take it slower.

Brad361 wrote:

Not to pick on you, and you have received some good suggestions here, but why would you be sight reading lesson material? Did I misunderstand? Do you
mean a sight reading portion of your lesson?

I do have students show up to a lesson and because they are unprepared are basically sight reading, this certainly is not what is supposed to happen during a private lesson.

Thing is that in my last two lessons (also incidentally my FIRST two), I didn’t actually have any specific pieces or anything prepared. I’m picking a few out as we speak - some classical stuff some jazz and some big band stuff. I play primarily “for fun” first and foremost, and I’m not in any group RIGHT now so I don’t really have any sort of sizeable repertoire of stuff to practice for performances (though I have a Realbook and other resrouces like that). Maybe that’s my own fault?

Strange thing is, I'm quite a solid rhythm reader when I DON'T have to worry about pitches or intervals. I don't have impeccable time by any means, but when I'm looking at a page just for the rhythm I can usually decipher it pretty quickly.
I learned Bb THROUGH tenor clef using euphonium, so whenever I look at the Bb staff, I’m still seeing all the notes by their name in C clef. In theory it’d give me the edge of easily being able to play in C-treble. But I get mighty tripped-up first and foremost with keys and pitches - faltering on what should be ordinary notes like F’s and F#’s

I’ll take the tips given here and hopefully come back in a couple of weeks with a grand epiphany. Sorry I didn’t reply to everything directly - but I’m gonna got through the replies several times and list out everything that I’m going to add to my next practice session and get to work.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Students I work with who have a difficult time with getting a correct pitch (for example, hitting a fourth line D when trying for fifth line F) are often the same ones who simply don't put in the time on their horns, ie, they don't yet "know" their instrument. Sounds like you're not in that category, but maybe more ear training might help? If reading rhythms is not especially problematic until you try to combine rhythm and pitch, would more ear training (singing, learning what intervals sound like, using a keyboard, etc.) be beneficial? If we're going for a pitch, our odds of hitting it correctly are increased if we can "hear" the note BEFORE going for it, and for most of us knowing intervals can do that.

Brad
ErikE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest transcribing a song you're familiar with into the treble clef. As you are writing it out by hand, you'll be singing the pitch (at least internally) and building an association with the note you are making on the page.

This has helped me as I'm working to add some proficiency with alto and tenor clefs. Pick a key and write out Ode to Joy or some such. Have fun!
MusicByThePound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brony,

Two things that worked for me- maybe they will work for you.

When sight reading, getting the rhythms correct is more important than playing the right notes. If you can recognize and play the rhythms the first time, you can get the notes and fingerings you missed easy on the second time through.

Get yourself a beginning level drum book like they use for 4th graders. Practice with your hands and learn how drummers use syllables to sub-divide beats. 1+2+3+4+. 1-e-an-da, 2-e-an-da. The first 2-3 pages will give you most the tools to read and decipher almost any rhythm. Mastering a few of the simpler concepts will give big results.

#2 is to find a duet buddy. Someone who plays any Bb instrument and sight reads better than you like a really good trumpet player, clarinet or soprano sax player who is used to playing lots of notes. Duets are everywhere, Arbans, St. Jacomb, Amsdens (my personal favorite), Jazz for Juniors, even MusicMinusOne if you can't find anyone. The secret to this is finding someone who can kick your butt and to have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: