• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Seeking Information on Steinmetz & Co. Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Seeking Information on Steinmetz & Co. Cornet Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm seeking information regarding a cornet I've been given. Today a family member gave me an old cornet that's been in the family for roughly 4 generations. We have a picture of my great grandfather playing it from 1911 so we know the horn is at least that old. On the bell there is an engraving that reads Steinmetz & Co. Marshfield WI. I've been digging around online and haven't been able to find anything on this horn just yet. I'm hopeful that someone here has encountered these horns before and has some information on the horn and company

It's been sitting for a long time so there is definitely some work to be done. The slides are all frozen and one of the valves is stuck. The plating seems to be in fairly decent condition though and there are very few dings. I plan to at least get everything moving freely and clean it up. We'll see about the play-ability then.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can give me!

Matt
[/img]
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, but that sounds like a so-called 'stencil horn', where a store would order in instruments (could have been made by almost anyone) and has their name stenciled on the bell.

Probably easier to identify a possible maker from a photograph.
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

I've snapped some pics of the horn and will post them below. I took the horn in to a brass tech today and had him look it over. At first he also thought it might be a stencil horn, but after further examination started to have some doubts. He thought the quality of the build suggested something more well put together. After doing a little polishing we found that the inside of the bell had a light gold finish. He's going to hang onto the horn and so a little work to it. We're also going to do some digging and see what else we can come up with.

So far the brass tech was able to find this.
https://pediaview.com/openpedia/Theodore_Steinmetz

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: