• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Note Bending - Bb vs. C trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Note Bending - Bb vs. C trumpet Reply with quote

Hi All

Part of my regular practice routine involves note bending. What I've accidently noticed/discovered is that this seems to be a little easier for me on my C trumpet than on Bb. Is there a scientific reason for this, or does this make sense if I'm bending the same written note?

Specific example: I'm working on note bends out of Flexus (Frink/McNeil) p. 40 #6: Start on second space A then change fingerings (to Bb, B, C) while holding the same sound (second space A). It is quite a challenge for me to maintain the A pitch with open valves without the pitch dropping to the G. However, I find it easier to accomplish on the C trumpet. I thought the distance in the harmonic series should be the same on each trumpet (I am not transposing the pitch), however maybe the distance (in Hz) gets smaller as the concert pitch raises and that is why???
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The why doesnt matter, the fact is the design of the trumpet is different from trumpet to trumpet, some Bb trumpets are easier to bend than others due to this.

Technically its to do with the percentage of conical bore in the instrument and the rapidity of the bell opening up. This affects slotting and the ease of precision in centering and ease of bending.

The C trumpet and Bb trumpet are different lengths so the rate of expansion of the bore must be different therefore there must be a different bending response and different ease of slotting.

I would hazard a guess that because a C trumpet has shorter tubing and therefore more rapid expansion I would predict easier bending for a C

It may be possible to find a Bb that has bending response closer to your C.

I aint a technical whiz about trumpet design but this seems logical to me.

Thats all I have
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:

I aint a technical whiz about trumpet design but this seems logical to me.

Thats all I have

Thanks, seems logical to me also.

(It's also better than the other 300+ views with no response )
audreyl138

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all good suggestions, I would recommend the same.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience over the years with many different trumpets- much less effort to bend on Bb than C. This would also include jazz licks and embellishments (flips, shakes, etc.). I'd be concerned with the alignment and other aspects of my Bb were I you. Good luck.
GRVTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like to note bend on most of my horns. It helps me find the center and keep the center on whichever horn I am playing. I try and always warm up on my Bb, then I do a quick 5 minute session on whichever I horn I switch to.
Eb/D: Schilke E3L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: