• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

compression verses bottoming out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santiagomusic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: compression verses bottoming out Reply with quote

Can anyone give a clear explanation on the difference between using a mouthpiece with a high alpha angle which requires more compression style of playing and when you're actually bottoming out.. ?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "bottoming out" means, to many people, when the vibrating lip comes into contact with the inner surface of the mpce, stopping or at least impeding vibration. It can be a symptom of using too much mpce pressure. Speaking of mpce pressure, I have beginner students who occasionally don't use enough to create a seal, because they have been told REPEATEDLY not to press the mpce against the lips, under penalty of death (😉) don't touch the pinky hook, etc. I don't want kids to think excessive pressure is the key for higher notes, but I believe a minimal amount IS needed.

Brad
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand the first part, but bottoming out happens when your mouthpiece is too shallow and your lips hit the bottom of the cup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compression usually is talking about air compression not lip or chop compression. Your question is making the assumption that an alpha or entry angle defines a certain type of playing that utilizes greater compression. This assumption is a bit questionable. It will be difficult to properly answer this question as the question is similar to: What is the difference between a wheel that requires 6 lugs and an electronic locking rear axle?

Bottoming out is a common reference (as explained in a previous post) to the lips touching a point inside the cup. When we, “bottom out” we feel our lips touch and the vibration become inhibited. Let us make an assumption you are asking about a shallow mouthpiece because somewhere you were told or read that they are a high compression mouthpiece. As low or high compression is not a common way to refer to a mouthpiece I will substitute shallow mouthpiece using a lot of compression.

So; What is the difference between using a lot of compression in a shallow mouthpiece and actually bottoming out. Still I struggle to explain the difference in the context of a comparison so I must separate the fist part from the second using the assumption you are asking about compression in conjunction with a shallow mouthpiece.

1st part of the question: Playing a shallow mouthpiece with a high compression approach is a way lead players play into the extreme upper register efficiently and effectively. This a way of focusing air and embrasure in a very small diameter rim and shallow cup size mouthpiece.

2nd part of the question: Bottoming out happens when we use too much pressure while using a shallow mouthpiece. Our approach is not refined and we penetrate the cup too deep with our lips and they touch the cup. Greater study is needed to correct this problem if we are to gain success playing a shallow mouthpiece.

I hope this helps as all of this was a leap of logic and may actually have nothing to do with your question,

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thought: Bottoming out could refer to a mouthpiece that does not fit a receiver properly. It might go in too far and touch the leadpipe and bottom out against it.

This would be contextually described as, “it bottoms out”. So it could describe the improper fit of a mouthpiece in the horn due to the mouthpiece bottoming out.

In any case further context and an expanded background to the question will provide the necessary insight to what you are trying to discover.
Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: