• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3 New Arban Books, after 130 years!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: 3 New Arban Books, after 130 years! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just wanted to make an announcement about an exciting new project.

You may know that Arban was always working on new instruments. For a time he collaborated with Adolphe Sax, and also with Antoine Courtois. At the end of his career he went back to the Paris Conservatory for another short stint of teaching, and he spent some time changing and refining his designs. He ended up with a horn he called a Cornet-Arban. It had 4 valves as well as a trigger that could extend multiple slides to fix a variety of tuning issues.

When he was happy with the horn he wrote 2 books full of studies, exercises, and grand solos. These books have been gone for 130 years, but today, after 2 years of work with a wonderful translator (Kelsey Anderson) and incredible engraver (John Laverty) these books are back in circulation! They are an incredible achievement, and I am so proud to see them back for people to enjoy.

The best part? They are playable on modern trumpet! You will see under the notation suggested fingerings for the new instrument, and a few times it goes to low F or E because of the extended range of the new instrument, but it is easily negotiable on your regular horn. This means you get 100 new pages of material for trumpet, written by Arban, the vast majority of which no one has ever seen!

During this time, he also wrote a book of daily exercises. A fundamentals routine that you would go through each day. This has also been translated and re-engraved. He gives a walkthrough of what you should do each day and how to properly go through the exercises.

I hope you guys dig it. This was a total labour of love and your support is what makes it all possible. Thank You All!

Arbans' "The New Cornet-Arban Conservatory Method"

Arbans' "12 Studies for the Cornet-Arban"

Arbans' "Daily Exercises for Trumpet"

dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very interesting. Thanks for developing this and coming here to explain it.
Piccolo Stomvi
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure. This was a really amazing experience going through this material. I hope you enjoy it!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am stunned and never remotely expected any such thing. this is very good stuff.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw them, I didn't know what to expect. When I saw how amazing the etudes were I was completely blown away. Amazing stuff.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the "Daily Exercise" hoping to find pedal exercises there.

Non.
But the exercises is ok.

According to some rumours, Arban wrote and published some pedal exercises.

I have never been able to trace them. Have even tried to use Edward Tarr as a helper, but so far nothing.

Has people in qPress heard about these pedal exercises?

Ole
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great question. I have never seen or heard of pedal exercises from Arban, but I can dig around and see what I can find for you. I'll report back.
kpw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Any plans for physical copies?
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on physical copies for all of the catalogue, but it is still quite a while off. I will keep you posted!
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothyquinlan wrote:
That is a great question. I have never seen or heard of pedal exercises from Arban, but I can dig around and see what I can find for you. I'll report back.

It was Håkan Hardenberger who told this to us at a seminar. He said that his teacher Pierre Thibaud had shown him a copy of this. I wrote to Thibaud and got an answer from him. Thibaud told me to contact a printing firm in Paris. They could help me with a copy. I wrote to this firm, but got no answer.

Later I contacted Ed. Tarr and asked if he could help. So far no luck, so go ahead and dig, Timothy! It would be very cool if we could find such a thing. My thinking is that since Arban also had lessons on natural trumpet he knew that there was a strong pedal on that horn - this could probablay make him experiment on the smaller valve instruments. Pedal C is also quite good on a cornet.

Thanks for all you do with qPress!

Ole
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing story! Can you pm me the info on the original publisher and I can check my sources?
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Tim. You're doing extraordinary work. I'm sure in the future you will find other hidden treasures.

As one of Bill Knevitt's former students, thank you for editing Bill's "Ultra-Trumpet Crash Course For Home Study" and also, cataloging and rolling out Bill's entire library.
https://qpress.ca/product-category/trumpet/?filter_publisher=la-torre-music

Love qPress,
Larry
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry! It's my pleasure, Bill's book's are a treasure.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my first little review from someone playing through these etudes for the first time. "As usual, absolutely beautiful writing. So much fun!"

I can't wait to hear more!
nonchalant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these much different than the three book version from Alphonse Leduc?
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very different! These books were written for a new type of cornet he invented that had an extra valve to improve intonation. He wrote a full method book for it as well as some studies, and 99% of it is perfect on modern trumpet.

When I cross referenced the old Leduc 3 volume Arban, some of the etudes from these books did make it in there, but none of them are in the same keys, it seems he adapted them for the leduc Arban after the fact.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who want a print copy, International Music Diffusion publishes "12 Studies for the Cornet" as "Etudes for the Cornet" (available from Hickey's Music and probably other places as well). I'm not aware of anyone publishing print copies of the other two books.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
For those who want a print copy, International Music Diffusion publishes "12 Studies for the Cornet" as "Etudes for the Cornet" (available from Hickey's Music and probably other places as well). I'm not aware of anyone publishing print copies of the other two books.

They would be in the original french I suppose. All three above have been fully translated, FYI
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They would be in the original french I suppose.

The preface and general observations sections are translated. The rest of the book contains very little text, but it is not translated. Regardless, I'm glad that you are offering an electronic version.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just so you know these books are on sale for the first time, 30% off, just click here and you can grab them: https://qpress.ca/product-tag/cornet-arban/

The rest of the site is on sale as well, 20% off everything, just use promo code: march2017
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: