• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do people mean when they say they bottom out?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: What do people mean when they say they bottom out? Reply with quote

I see people talk about bottoming out on a mouthpiece - generally talking about shallow pieces. I assume they mean their lips literally mash up against the bottom of the cup of the mp.

Looking at any pic I can find of someone buzzing into a visualizer, and testing it myself, I don't see enough penetration past the plane of the rim to come anywhere near actually touching the cup. If I run a straight-edged piece of paper across the bottom/backside of the visualizer while buzzing hard, I feel no contact with my lips.

The shallowest pieces I have are a Jet-Tone T1A and Studio B, I don't feel it on either of them.

Can someone explain if/why my understanding is wrong or that it isn't an old brassplayer wive's tale?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bottoming out" means that the lips come in contact with the bottom of the cup. When the lips contact the bottom of the cup the contact impedes the ability of the lips to vibrate. The shallower the cup the more risk there is of bottoming out.

Some players are fine on a shallow cup at first but as they tire their lips start to protrude more into the cup because their muscles are not as able to resist the airflow, which can result in bottoming out. The type of embouchure, the physiology of the lips and the strength of the muscles all factor in to whether the player can play a shallow cup mouthpiece without bottoming out.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
"Bottoming out" means that the lips come in contact with the bottom of the cup.

I'd be curious to see photographic proof that this happens, as per my original post above.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't the "bottoming out" mean the lip just meets the inside wall of the cup, not necessarily the bottom of the cup.

I was having mouthpiece work done one, and kept bottoming out, and the sound was shutting off. I was going to have an undercut put in the piece or make it a little deeper, because i couldn't figure out where the intrusion was.

So Greg Black gave me some of his wife's lip stick to put on, and I played on the piece. After I bottomed out the lipstick showed where my lip intrusion was and that I was hitting the side of the wall cup. Greg changed the inside shape a bit, and didn't have to make it any deeper to prevent me from bottoming out.

I've used the same lipstick trick a few other times when getting work done, and it's embarrassing but I see exactly what's going on inside the mouthpiece cup at least.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
"Bottoming out" means that the lips come in contact with the bottom of the cup.

I'd be curious to see photographic proof that this happens, as per my original post above.

Good luck. What's the need for proof? Someone accuse you of bottoming out, and you disbelieve?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:

Good luck. What's the need for proof? Someone accuse you of bottoming out, and you disbelieve?

Tom

No accusations related to me but I'm skeptical and curious. I reserve the right to be incorrect but given the pics I see of people buzzing on visualizers and clear mouthpieces I'm incredulous that it really happens.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

So Greg Black gave me some of his wife's lip stick to put on, and I played on the piece. After I bottomed out ...

I have known Greg since he first started learning how to make a mouthpiece, and this sounds exactly like something he'd come up with

From the way he (and others) describe "bottoming out" I would conclude I have NEVER bottomed out. But I may come awfully close to it sometimes, and moreso on tired chops, as others have alluded. Rather than having my sound shut off completely, I'll just sound bad. Switching to a deeper piece indeed fixes that, but it's surprising how small a difference in the metal is required.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Couldn't the "bottoming out" mean the lip just meets the inside wall of the cup, not necessarily the bottom of the cup.

That's a fair observation. This effect wouldn't be confined to the lips contacting only the bottom of the cup. The sides of the cup would qualify as well. In fact, since the bottom of the cup is essentially the top of the drill hole I think most instances of "bottoming out" would involve the sides of the cup. So, with a screw rim mouthpiece this would be anywhere below the seam where the rim meets the underpart.

I played a Reeves 43S (S = shallow) for many years but then I changed my embouchure slightly to get more lip in the cup and started bottoming out so I had to switch to a deeper cup (but kept the rim the same as with the shallow piece) to avoid bottoming out. I haven't had the problem since.

I don't know where there would be any photos of bottoming out but when it happens you can feel it happening and there's no mistaking what's happening, it's very obvious to the player.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I don't know where there would be any photos of bottoming out

I don't know if there are any but they could be taken with a fiberoptic boroscope run into the mouthpiece. It wouldn't impede the ability to buzz.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to the OP:

Jet tones were specifically designed so the player doesn't bottom out. They mostly all have an undercut groove under the rim. This gives more chop room inside the cup so the lips don't touch the inside cup when they are swollen.

Also Jet tones aren't the shallowest cups out there. They use a modified V cup, and are medium shallow at best, usually with some kind are enlarged throat entrance which removes some resistance and prevents chops caving into the cup.

Man Jettones were great designs. Just too bad they get such a bad reputation.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my take on it is out of context I recently found out anolther meaning of mouthpiece=MP "bottoms out" in relation to my purchase of a cornet. Sometimes a MP with an unmatched shank (perhaps too long for a given MP receiver) bottoms out meaning the MP shank is longer than the regular MP shank length that particular horn can accept. In that case either the MP shank end or receiver or both can be damaged by excessive lapping when someone tries to make them fit.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

I don't know if there are any but they could be taken with a fiberoptic boroscope run into the mouthpiece. It wouldn't impede the ability to buzz.

I have one.Not sure it would get through the backbore, but it might on a flugel mouthpiece. Hmmm.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Robert P wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

I have one.Not sure it would get through the backbore, but it might on a flugel mouthpiece. Hmmm.

There are some that are really small that would fit into a mouthpiece throat and let enough air pass to allow buzzing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be having room for air that would be the problem. Less of a problem for trombone.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
It would be having room for air that would be the problem. Less of a problem for trombone.

This is small enough to allow enough air for a buzz.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My understanding on bottoming out is that it generally occurs against the sides of the cup, and is as much as factor of alpha angle and cup diameter than cup depth.

My understanding again is that bottoming out is more likely on a larger diameter cup, since the larger cup diameter generally allows more of the lips to enter the cup.

Additionally, bottoming out is more likely to occur with a high alpha angle mouthpiece rather than low alpha angle mouthpiece, owing to the lips more readily being able to come into contact with a shallower slope into the cup.

I always think of this concept in terms of a V shape for a high alpha angle compared to a U shape for a lower alpha angle (obviously I realise that no mouthpiece is either completely V or U shaped, and I am just using V and U to designate a high and low alpha angle respectively, regardless of the actual cup shape). Regardless of the overall cup depth, bottoming out is more likely to occur with a V rather than an U, simply owing to the relative steepness of the transition into the cup.

I would say that the chance of bottoming out is decreased with a lower alpha angle (more undercut) and smaller cup diameter, and that if you want to experience bottoming out, that a very shallow cup with a very high alpha angle in a very large cup diameter, would be the mouthpiece on which to try.

Although admittedly not the largest cup diameter, the first example which comes to mind of a potential mouthpiece for bottoming out would be the Bach 3F, as shown on the Kanstul mouthpiece comparator. If you compare it to something like a Warburton 3SV/4SV, I would say that the potential for bottoming out on the Warburton would be greatly reduced (I fully appreciate that the Warburton SV cup is also deeper, I'm just using it as an example and am comparing the steepness of the undercut.

Personally I've never personally experienced bottoming out, but have never played a shallow cup.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bottoming out" means that the buzz is being stopped by contact somewhere beyond the normal rim contact. It doesn't have to be so literal.

Some people have an embouchure such that they "bottom out" all the time, but it doesn't stop their buzz because the aperture still has room. They actually utilize more of the inside of the piece for support than just the rim - at least in certain ranges of the horn - but most of them never think or talk much about it.

Concave V's like Lynn Nicholson's XPiece might be near-impossible for some people to play due to their embouchure type and physiology, because the lips are almost in total contact with the "concave v-cup", while the actual throat is further down. Of course the XPiece is actually a tool for establishing and resetting the embouchure to utilize Lynn's "MF Protocol", and not really intended to be a "main piece". FWIW, the XPiece also comes with the Reversible Rim, which is the other tool in the methodology, but it's also an effective visualizer.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it matters whether you actually hit the bottom of the cup or the sides, it's the same end result. Tissue contacts a hard (mouthpiece) surface, vibration stops or is impeded....results are pretty much the same.
I think those of us using shallower/tighter pieces do a balancing act with what works, especially as we tire/get lip swelling. Too shallow for the individual and many of us have problems earlier in a gig/playing session.

Brad
Gartex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lips stop buzzing because they touch the bottom of the cup!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gartex wrote:
Lips stop buzzing because they touch the bottom of the cup!

Or the sides of the cup. Any contact with the inner parts of the cup probably will stop or at least interfere with lip vibration, I don't think it matters whether it's the bottom or the sides.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: