• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dave Stahl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Dave Stahl Reply with quote

There have been all these threads recently of great lead trumpet players. Some players I like and others not so much.

For me a great lead trumpet player has style, consistency, dynamics, energy and excitement. Sure high chops are great, but how they are used is what makes or breaks a great player in my opinion.

I've been listening to Woody Herman, and Buddy Rich albums with Dave playing lead, all morning. Holy cow! I forgot about these great albums.

I can't think of any lead trumpeter that has the sound and chops like Stahl. All day double Cs and more, IN TUNE, rarely misses or clams, and just drives the band.

For the 70s rock style fusion of the big bands, I just love listening to Stahl in the section. What a time that must have been to be a part of!!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of other lead players have high chops, which can be exciting, but for LEADING a trumpet section, swing, style, consistency, articulation, and knowing when to turn the fire on and when not to.

Too many of the lead players from that era wanted to be the star instead of a member of a unit. Dave was unstoppable so much fun to listen to.

Turned on some Basie with Stahl, and he just kills it there too!!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the music of that era and hadn't knowingly listened to Stahl much, so thanks to those drawing attention to this.

W/o the superhuman range but acing the categories of stylistic leadership and SOUND, Goz is in a category of his own. IMHO. I mean, how many trumpet players are recognizable by only one half of one of their names? Lol.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Woody recording isn't musically over challenging or complex, but Stahl's unstoppable clean and searing sound is just so awesome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk0I-YdRF3w

And I'll take Stahl's vibraslap playing over Biviano's cowbell and tambourine any day
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Dave Stahl, didn't he play on this model trumpet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-ST200-trumpet-Bud-Brisbois-model-with-Schilke-mpc-/282400757366?hash=item41c0659676:g:-XYAAOSwB-1YzXER

I read he played on a ST100 with a ST200 bell....or something like that. Either way, kinda cool to see a Bud Brusbois model Hilton available.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Speaking of Dave Stahl, didn't he play on this model trumpet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-ST200-trumpet-Bud-Brisbois-model-with-Schilke-mpc-/282400757366?hash=item41c0659676:g:-XYAAOSwB-1YzXER

I read he played on a ST100 with a ST200 bell....or something like that. Either way, kinda cool to see a Bud Brusbois model Hilton available.

The Holton ST200 Brisbois model is an awesome trumpet. However, you don't want the version in the eBay listing. That's a later version that has the "Bach" valve cluster. The collectible version is the earlier version with the "Martin" valve cluster. The same holds true for the ST302 MF Horn. The early version had the "Martin" valve cluster. The later (not as collectible) version had the "Bach" valve cluster.

I don't know the point at which Holton changed the valve cluster. My ST302 is serial number 537XXX and my ST200 is serial number 542XXX and they both have the "Martin" valve cluster. The MF Horn is supposed to be "based" on the Martin Committee large bore so you definitely want that horn with the "Martin" valve cluster if you're a collector.

When these horns first came out the MF Horn was heavily promoted but the Brisbois was like a World War II secret, no one knew much about it. I tested both horns when they came out. I thought the MF Horn was a tribute to Maynard's ability, the horn was very difficult to play. The Brisbois, however, was excellent. 30 years later when I started collecting I purchased both models and my conclusions were the same: The Brisbois is a wonderful horn, the MF Horn not so much. However, they are both historical horns in the original versions so both merit a place in my collection.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Oddly here's a second listing available

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-ST-200-Bud-Brisebois-Model-B-Trumpet-1973-only-a-mainpart-RARE-VINTAG-F-S-/262898633416?hash=item3d35facac8:g:0TgAAOSw4CFYy4md

There's some sketchy details about a replaced lead pipe, I can't be sure I understand the write up, looks like English is not this guys first language
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to all of Anaconda, Stahl's solo record. What a band! Lots of killer NYC players. It's the 80s, solo lots of rock, synth stuff, some "smooth" elements. But this album kills!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLqV3AZ1lgZ0R-ASI9TC9rR0a7c4cAJBbh&params=OAFIAVgD&v=e0cWb8Xvg2k&mode=NORMAL

I think Stahl on that album is the mixture and all the best elements of Jerry Hey, Maynard, and Bill Chase.

Plus he has some slick jazz chops and great lines. What a blast listening to all this stuff again decades later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: