• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece size

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece size Reply with quote

I am having difficulty choosing a mouthpiece size. I have three different sizes that all work pretty well and have no idea how to go about deciding on one and sticking with it. Any ideas? Thanks.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a piece is too big I'll have range and endurance issues because my chops feel unsupported. If it's too small I'll have a different sort of endurance issues because my chops feel pinned.

The only way to decide is trial and error.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the question you are asking, I must assume you are fairly
new to the trumpet.

I would stick with the most mainstream size and work into it. Trumpet playing requires diligent practice to develope the embouchure strength required for successful trumpet playing. There are no shortcuts IMHO.

Choosing a small or extreme design mouthpiece (if that is one of your choices) just because it seems easier to play might not be the best idea for your long term development.

I would seek the advice of a competent teacher who knows where you are playing-wise, rather than accept advice from people you don't know or who don't know you- and this includes me.

Good luck

Steve
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close to my ninth year! It is pretty much they all work on my face with varying degrees of comfort and different kinks to each one.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece size Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
I am having difficulty choosing a mouthpiece size. I have three different sizes that all work pretty well and have no idea how to go about deciding on one and sticking with it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Try a 3C for a while. After a few months, try a 1C. I play a 1C Heavytop and I couldn't be happier with my sound.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
maybe use the larger one for ballads, melodies, warm sound etc, and the smaller one for brighter music, or more commercial gigs...
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece size Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:

What are the mouthpieces you are talking about?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
new to the trumpet.

I would stick with the most mainstream size and work into it. Trumpet playing requires diligent practice to develope the embouchure strength required for successful trumpet playing. There are no shortcuts IMHO.

Choosing a small or extreme design mouthpiece (if that is one of your choices) just because it seems easier to play might not be the best idea for your long term development.

I would seek the advice of a competent teacher who knows where you are playing-wise, rather than accept advice from people you don't know or who don't know you- and this includes me.

Good luck

Steve

If there is a definitive answer to the OP's question, THIS is it.

And by the way, to the OP: nine years experience is great, but depending on the practice time that has been put in, for some guys it might be just a start.

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece size Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:

You need something big enough to accommodate your embouchure but no bigger than necessary. Rim diameters outside of this range could give you trouble.

People with large, fleshy lips generally do better with larger rim diameters. Those with small, thin lips generally prefer smaller rim diameters. One size does NOT fit all. If you're unsure, find a well-qualified mouthpiece expert to help you.

Once you've found the optimal rim diameter, then you can go to town on different cup shapes and depths, bore, backbore and rim shapes to get the sound and playability that works for you, the instrument, and the style of music you're playing. But the rim diameter is mostly a matter of fit.
Piccolo Stomvi
silver55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
new to the trumpet.

Good luck

Steve

I also agree with Winghorn very strongly.
People can often spend a lot of time and focus finding a mouthpiece that makes them sound good rather than just making the one that you hvae work. A 3C has been a good medium for a long time. A professional lead player will use a smaller/shallower one, as will a piccolo tpt player. Likewise a jazz player who doesn't use much of the upper register may benefit from a larger mouthpiece. But if you're a general player playing a bit of everything, I'd say go "mainstream", unless you're really finding difficulties with it.
(And of course, consulting a pro wouldn't hurt)
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Gary Radtke:

It's near impossible to recommend a mouthpiece without seeing the person play, inspecting the instrument, and taking measurements. You need to know the specific mpcs they are testing. It's not like picking a number out of a hat or what works for you, it's about finding them a match for their system....player, horn, and mpc.

There are so many variables with players, mpcs, and horns that a blind recommendation can do more harm than good. A video is a great way to begin the process. A consultation is better although not always possible. The video will start the process.

We at GR believe if you want some direction, put up a video with 15 second clips of your 3 mpcs. It can work and cut down on time and money going down the wrong path.

www.grmouthpieces.com
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting a while before posting the story of my experience w/ GR and Bri, but will share some here, with more to come later.

Here are some points.

1.) Thanks to Bri and GR, my playing has improved more in the last 3 weeks than in the last 2.5 years I've been playing again.

2.) Brian has been more patient with me than anyone deserves. I've emailed him many times in the past, listened to part of what he said, applied what I thought was right and gone from there. Nothing ever worked.

3.) You'll remember recently I thought I'd found what I called a "holy grail", and then after that found 2 mouthpieces I thought were even better than that one. I sent a video to Bri of those two mouthpieces...mouthpieces I thought fit me better than anything I'd tried, and not only did they show me they were a wrong fit, they made a suggestion.

What was different this time? I listened. I tried exactly what GR told me to try. I tried a rim/diameter that I'd always thought did not work for me. Guess what? I had always been wrong.

These guys are not out to sell mouthpieces. In fact, through all of the help they have given me, I've not bought a mouthpiece directly from them. Two I bought used on a Facebook buy/sell group, and one I bought from Charlie Melk.

I don't even want to share what is working for me, because you aren't me, and you don't have my horns. But I will share this. I was consistently trying things that were wrong. Once I experienced what it was like to play a mouthpiece which fit me, and allowed the sound wave to set up properly it was quite literally mind blowing.

More will come later, but I wanted to chime in to say, that Brian and GR are great guys, and they really are trying to help. While I'd love to do a full consult one day, I'm simply blown away by what GR and Bri have accomplished with me after watching a few 15 second clips of me playing mouthpieces that were all wrong.

Thanks Bri!

J.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and just to add...it is not just mouthpiece suggestions either. Both Bri and GR have helped me start fixing some chops/setup issues I had, which I didn't even notice I had going on.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, jasonr. Congrats on your breakthrough.
Piccolo Stomvi
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, depending on where you are located, here are some suggestions:

- look up GR mouthpieces and see a consultant near you, stick with that mouthpiece.
- Go see or talk to Phyllis Stork and then same as above.
- Take some lessons with a competent trumpet teacher and have him/her help you with your MP. If you get a GR consultation this is basically what you will be doing.
- Just pick one mouthpiece that feels good and gets a good sound and just stick with it, take trumpet lessons, be consistent with practicing.

I did a GR consultation with Steve Emery. He could hear and detect when a MP rim was too big or too small for my chops. I have thin lips and struggled for years with all these fruit bowls my trumpet professor tried to get me to play. Through Steve I found a MP that is comfortable, consistent, and sounds good for most situations.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO this doesn't have to be complex. Just choose, as recommended above, a moderate mouthpiece and play it consistently for some time, then you'll have something mainstream to compare with. The only problem is, what is an average size?

It has been suggested above that a 3C is average, however a 7C used to be a standard size. See http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763

Maybe a 5C, not a 3C is the average size?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not seem like much, but this is me after a 2+hour rehearsal. I could barely squeak out a high C 2-3 weeks ago. I just checked, and I sent my first video to Brian on March 11.

Link

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ^ Nice sound, Jay!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your point, jay?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
What's your point, jay?

That while a mouthpiece is not a magic bullet, a properly fitting piece can make a world of difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: