• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No rhythm and tempo issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew.mcginn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: No rhythm and tempo issues Reply with quote

I only have three years under my belt(majority self taught), but I still consider myself a beginner. I have a decent tone, but being realistic that's my only boon. My bane is tempo, it's horrendous. It's to the point I rush quarter notes with the metronome, if I lose focus. This is how I describe my tempo issue. All my timing is subcutaneous, but sometimes I can be self aware about tempo. Once I'm self aware, that's all I focus on. Tone, intonation, and sometimes I lose the buzz while I'm playing. Even dancing or toe tapping to well known songs, I lose rhythm.

I don't want to come to the conclusion that I'm not musically incline, I want to get better. I'm tired of playing organized noise. I want to play music.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Matthew! I would say that we're all beginners just trying to get better. I'd also say that we are ALL musically inclined to one degree or another; we just need to tap into it.

Try playing a little game with your met on. If you can set it so that it accents beat 1 of a measure, clap along with only beat 1. If not, try counting it and clapping on only 1 of every 4 beats. This helps internalize pulse.

Other games away form the horn could include guessing fenceposts while riding as a passenger (I don;t encourage that while driving for obvious reasons... ), imitating the pages printing on a copy machine, and drumming along with popular tunes. Even air drumming. But again- not while driving!

Hope this helps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clapping and counting along with a metronome is critical. I even do it on complicated passages from time to time. Using your body in this way will help internalize the physicality of tempo and rhythm.

I was taught that if the metronome isn't on, you're not practicing. So make sure you obey the metronome at all times - no excuses!

Good luck!
matthew.mcginn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"if the metronome isn't on, you're not practicing." I will follow this rule for now on. Never thought of doing that.

Tpter1, I do little games like that too, I follow the beat of the ringing when I'm calling somebody. I'll make sure to keep that in mind and do it with a lot of things.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with sight-singing. I can read the words, or the notes, but not both at the same time.

In your case, you might try singing your parts, first without the metronome, then with. If it's not working out, slow down until it does.

Ultimately you need to fluent enough on your instrument that the notes become second nature. Only then will you really be free to focus on the music. Don't stress at 3 years, you've still got dues to pay.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subcutaneous time sounds either wonderful or horrifying.

This is the best way I've found to develop a really strong sense of time.

Link
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I have a similar problem with sight-singing. I can read the words, or the notes, but not both at the same time.

In your case, you might try singing your parts, first without the metronome, then with. If it's not working out, slow down until it does.

Ultimately you need to fluent enough on your instrument that the notes become second nature. Only then will you really be free to focus on the music. Don't stress at 3 years, you've still got dues to pay.

This is good advice. Take the trumpet shtuff out of the equation for a bit and sing your music, with the metronome. You can also add clapping or thumping your hand on your chest at the same time, to combine this idea with Turkle's.

Just make sure you can actually feel the beat and sing the music before you try adding trumpet to the mix. You need to internalize the time first.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew, are you, or have you played with other musicians in a band ? If not, try to get in one. Metronomes are fine for practice, but the best experience you will get with tempo and rhythm is in some kind of band with a good conductor.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
GRVTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matthew,

My favorite way to practice is to use the beat box setting on my Dr. Beat. Have that as the background help feel the back beat and keep a steady time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: