• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

is the internet a countertrend?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: is the internet a countertrend? Reply with quote

right now we are in what can charitably be described as a bind, and what we can expect from future pension payments, social security, medicare, and so forth is up in the air. not everyone will be happy and we will see who gets the haircut.
in a situation of contraction we can't expect much from schools and sports programs and music are particularly vulnerable.
is the internet a huge buffer to this trend, with any enthusiast able to get instruction in guitar, keyboard, and in our case, brass?
you won't get experience with the band dynamic, still, something beats nothing whilst waiting for our woes to subside. on that subject, these matters move slowly enough that a student in grade school can be through college going the way through the recovery cycle. insofar as them describing this time as 'the recovery', that information is for trusting souls as a cursory examination would reveal that we have only dug ourselves in deeper. as to wilful avoidance of fundamentals, try that on your trumpet for a while.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. While many of the benefits of learning a musical instrument are inherent in the practice young music, there are other extremely important social and cognitive skills which are enhanced to a high degree by participation in a music ensemble.

Sitting I a commuter bus o King St Newtown is not te place to wax in about this, there are a number of srcesmcresources out ther to research this.

Bottom line. FIGHT for your music programs, fight the nincompoops who think it good and proper to remove the subjects which are essential to the human condition .

The internet is not the place to learn to play in isolation. It can be a great additional tool, if used thoughtfully...

Cheers

Andy
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, Chuck, er, chuck- economic or educational "bind"? If it has to do with American public education, I'd me most concerned with the English, Math and Science programs before the musical ones, such as they've become. In the large district I spent my last 30 years teaching, the students were not doing well at all in either reading, writing cogent sentences with proper capitalization and grammar (!!!!) nor demonstrating much of a sense of original or critical thinking. They were pretty damn fine at surfing the web on the school-provided laptops, though.

If you're wondering about either learning or supplementing learning via Skype, Smart Music or other internet learning programs- sure- nbd, but for most students: If they do not have some sort of practical place to put their skills to "work" (band, orchestra, ensemble of some type, especially early-on), they won't stick with it. Even the internet guitar player usually seeks out some sort of garage band.

I'd love to go into the economic part but it would get this pulled in 2 posts due to the political nature of the subject to many, even though the "laws of economics", in and of themselves, have really changed little from the days of Abraham and before. And to continue my editorial commenting, I can attest that it is not due to a lack of money being thrown at it that American public ed is failing. Nor the American economy, either...
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
No. While many of the benefits of learning a musical instrument are inherent in the practice young music, there are other extremely important social and cognitive skills which are enhanced to a high degree by participation in a music ensemble.

Sitting I a commuter bus o King St Newtown is not te place to wax in about this, there are a number of srcesmcresources out ther to research this.

Bottom line. FIGHT for your music programs, fight the nincompoops who think it good and proper to remove the subjects which are essential to the human condition .

The internet is not the place to learn to play in isolation. It can be a great additional tool, if used thoughtfully...

Cheers

Andy

andy

this type of discussion is fraught with the inherent difficulty of the many wishful thinkers who will not admit to our real situation.
on my own i would treble our food programs to the many who are not getting adequate rations. that's right, 3x, my informal guess as to what it would take to get folks adequately fed. in a similar vein i would like to see art and music programs extended to the next level and taking in more of the advantages of technology. far more cash input, and far more focus.
my wishes and thoughts mean nothing in an environment where teachers are getting canned left and right and the profession is going into crisis, and from there you can work out the probabilities of funding sports and music.
as to your residence exactly on the other side of the globe from this place, my earnest advice is, stay right there, and don't come here even on a bet.
on the other hand i may have misread the situation and we may indeed be in strong recovery.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
on my own i would treble our food programs to the many who are not getting adequate rations. that's right, 3x, my informal guess as to what it would take to get folks adequately fed. in a similar vein i would like to see art and music programs extended to the next level and taking in more of the advantages of technology. far more cash input, and far more focus.

How did we get to food? So you can equate it to spending on music, I guess -- food for the soul?

Not sure who exactly is going hungry. The schools now feed breakfast and lunch and send home snacks. But that's beside the point.

EVERY discipline -- music, math, English, Latin -- would like and thinks they need more money.

I would worry that band would become obsolete. It takes a tremendous infrastructure to have a band program -- instruments, chairs, stands, etc. Choral is much, much simpler, for example. And then once you've finished high school band, what next? Community band? With band you practically need 60-90 like-minded people and facilities to be able to play.

Some places you might provide more interest for the kids by spending your money teaching them to rap.

Other places might be better to teach guitar, mandolin, fiddle, etc to better match the Americana trend.

-- Joe
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

this type of discussion is fraught with the inherent difficulty of the many wishful thinkers who will not admit to our real situation.
on my own i would treble our food programs to the many who are not getting adequate rations. that's right, 3x, my informal guess as to what it would take to get folks adequately fed. .

God bless you Sir.

I agree. Make it free lunch for everyone and a good nutritious lunch not hot dogs and chips. Make it a free breakfast for everyone. And make it mandatory that kids who are bullied and thus not allowed to eat by the bullies are looked out for, make sure everyone gets to eat!

And no cop-outs where you go to school and get ONE token, you can use it for lunch (no breakfast served at all so by 10 AM you're hoping not to faint from hunger) or you can get "mini-lunch" which is a sorry-ass little hamburger that's half soy, and a few fries, and no lunch because you spent your token on the "mini-lunch".

Nope breakfast. a snack, and lunch. For everyone so no kids are kept out from being poor, not-poor-enough, having "lunch debt" (look THAT piece of Dickensian social engineering up!) etc.

And since sports get so much funding, OK, now Band's a sport. So's Ensemble, wind band, whatever you want to set up. They're now sports. Have 'em play at a few games, there you go.

So now the literal 97-lb weakling who's a 97-lb weakling because he's not getting enough to eat, so he can't do any sport because he's small and weak (actually very strong for his size but it's the total size that's the problem) can maybe get somewhere.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are definitely seeing some counter trending tendencies crushing those nasty paradigms of yesteryear.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
We are definitely seeing some counter trending tendencies crushing those nasty paradigms of yesteryear.

Indeed. While the potential for internet resources can only supplement the act of actual performance or playing with a group, it's still facilitating connections like never before. We are able to coalesce and organize with like-minded folks for an array of purposes and with any number of approaches. All of this is "activism" of a kind, contrary to the "apathy" my generation used to be accused of in the decades before the internet.

It occurs to me that hanging out on a trumpet forum with other trumpet players can only be so helpful, insofar as that which is limited to playing the instrument itself. For those looking for the kind of playing opportunities that a unisonal instrument craves, it makes sense to also pursue the kinds of social forums that introduce us to a bunch of rhythm players, etc., LOL

As far as all the whining people do about the economy and the inevitable comings and goings of various patronages, just remember the plight of the old Troubadours. Those who are truly inspired will always find a way; the best we can do is look out for each other and keep the faith that the music we know will always carry us forward.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one examines dialectic discourse, one is faced with a choice: either reject social realism or conclude that culture is used to reinforce capitalism. Therefore, logic suggests that we have to choose between dialectic discourse and Sartreist absurdity. Similarly, either accept modern objectivism or conclude that art is capable of significance, but only if language is interchangeable with art; otherwise, Bataille’s model of social realism is one of 'Sartreist existentialism' and thus meaningless.

The characteristic theme of many essays on modern objectivism is also their fatal flaw, and eventually point to the futility of cultural society. It could be said that the premise of subsemantic textual theory holds that culture serves to oppress the Other.

Sontag uses the term 'social realism' to denote a predialectic whole. Therefore, modern objectivism implies that the significance of the reader is deconstruction, given that the premise of social realism is valid. Sartre promotes the use of dialectic discourse to challenge class divisions. Thus, if the cultural paradigm of expression holds, we have to choose between dialectic discourse and postdeconstructive Marxism.

Many deconstructions concerning not discourse, but neodiscourse may be revealed. However, modern objectivism suggests that art has objective value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: