• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scodwell Standard Model Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Scodwell Standard Model Trumpet Reply with quote

The trombone player in my quintet recently nabbed a used Scodwell Standard Model trumpet off e-bay, rembering how I had gushed about them over the years. The horn is in silver plate and is in as-new condition.

Well, after playing it at quintet rehearsal a few days back, I am happy to report that the trumpet is every bit as good as I remembered- maybe better.

The Scodwell is heavier than my Destino 5*, but still has excellent response and a great sound. While designed primarily as a commercial horn, the sound with my Mt. Vernon 1 1/2C mouthpiece is not overly bright and I could picture using this instrument at a number of different venues.

The way the Scodwell centers is lovely and its intonation is even better than my Destino, which is no slouch in that department. In the high range, the notes stay firm and full with all the power anyone could ever want. Saying the Scodwell has a free and open upper register is an understatement, but soft playing in the middle and low registers is no problem

One thing that Tony mentions on his website which I found to very true is that the trumpet gives excellent feedback, "both to the ears and on the face."

"Very well sorted" is how I would sum up Tony's creation, and considering Tony's world class playing ability and the hours he spends play testing each horn during assembly, this is no suprise to me.

I have long wanted to add a Scodwell trumpet to my kit of horns and would buy this horn in a heartbeat if I had the money. But circumstances are such that I must pass and enviously sit back while the trumpet goes on Craigslist or e-bay.

Sincerely'

Steve Allison
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a couple Scodwell's over the years. Does the one you played have Kanstul valves or the new European valve blocks he's using.

You're quite right about hearing yourself and feedback behind the horn. And they have tons of core.

The ones I've played have all been raw brass, which is a turn off for me. I'd love to try a silver plated Scodwell.

Good luck resisting the temptation!!
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it has Kanstul valves from the look of them, but am not 100% sure.

I, too, much prefer a silver horn to raw brass.

As for temptation, I even considered selling my 1950's large bore Martin Committee Deluxe.

Actually, I may yet as it is not my main instrument, and the Scodwell remains available to me up until the day it finally sells. Hey, maybe it won't sell and will become a quintet owned horn!

Seriously, I absolutely love Tony's horns and wish I could buy this one.

Steve
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Scodwell USA horns Reply with quote

I looked at the Ebay listing for the horn mentioned. It says serial #149 which would have had Kanstul valves and the 25 gauge bell which explains why it's heavier than your Destino. As for the silver plating, I have made many silver plated horns and some of the people who bought the standard raw brass version may have had them plated. A year ago a fellow, who obviously is quite acidic, had me replace the second slide which had a hole in it due to acid. The horn was raw brass at the time and recently he had me replace the leadpipe prior to silver plating, also due to his body chemistry. I advised epoxy lacquer instead of silver plating but he went with silver. I've seen less wear from acid with epoxy lacquer than silver plate but the horn looked beautiful after some dent work on the bell. Kanstul plated the horn and they wouldn't plate it until the bell was removed for further. It played and looked like new.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Trodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Scodwell vs Bach ?? Reply with quote

Has anyone played the Scodwell las vegas and if so how did it compare the Bach 190 37 or the newer 190 43? I like what I hear about the Scodwells, but just trying to hear from someone who plays them, Thanks Tom
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have own three Bach trumpets--a 37, a 43, and a *bell 72. I own a Scodwell Las Vegas no. 288. I also own a Shilke B3L from the 70's. This summer I will be playing two week run of the musical State Fair. I will play the Scodwell.

As far as the comparison to Bach, Tony's horns are more free blowing but with the just the right amount of resistance to blow against. The sounds centers much better than the Bach. Intonation is wonderful, slotting is perfect and the valves are the best I have played.The upper register is much easier than any of the Bachs I have owned. Also, having owned three, I can tell you that they are more consistent than a Bach.

I guess you could say that in my opinion the Scodwell beats the Bach in all
categories. They are great horns.

Dick G.
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: