• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRAMPAGOLF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

Opinions on the best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there is a best or worst - just what works and what doesn't. The only way to really dial that in is to try some things out.

With that said, try sending a note out to Trent Austin from Austin Custom Brass. Based on what's currently working for you with trumpet and what you hope to get with a flugel mouthpiece, he'll be able to recommend something that will be right in the ballpark of what you'd need.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the one that came with the horn? Worry less about the equipment. It's cheap and it probably fits the horn with the right taper.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, learn about flugelhorn mouthpiece tapers. Not all mouthpieces fit all horns.

If you're talking about Large Morse taper as is used on Yamaha flugels, then the Yamaha line of mouthpieces is a safe bet. 11F4 resembles a Bach 7C size and 14F4 resembles a Bach 3C size.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find more information in the mouthpiece or flugelhorn forums.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

GRAMPAGOLF wrote:

Given your chosen nickname, forgive the somewhat snarky comment I'm about to make.

If you're really a beginner, and not just new to the flugelhorn itself after playing cornet or trumpet in the past, it's going to be a steep learning curve. If you prioritize golf over everything else in your life, it's not even going to matter what equipment you use.

Use the mouthpiece that (probably) came with the horn. It takes a great deal of practice and devotion to go from 0 to producing a good quality sound and having the required technique to play any of the members of this challenging family of instruments. You can't get there spending all your free time playing golf.

Play what you have, and enjoy it as much as possible.
Philly_POPS_Nerd728

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Opinions on the best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

I am using a Yamaha 16F4 which is closest to a Bach 3D because of my lips being a little puffier than others. I would say go with a Yamaha 16C4 which is closest to a Bach 3C which is perfect by itself. Takes a ton of practice either way though.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

GRAMPAGOLF wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Are you talking about a person new to brass playing who is starting out on Flügelhorn or are you talking about an experienced brass player who is adding the Flügelhorn to his arsenal? And if the later, are you a trumpet/cornet, french horn, trombone or tuba player?

Assuming you are a trumpet player, it would be best to get a mouthpiece with the same rim as your trumpet mouthpiece but with a Flügelhorn cup and shank.

If you are a french horn player, you'd probably want to try and find a Flügelhorn mouthpiece with a fairly narrow rim of similar diameter size to your french horn mouthpiece. If you are a low brass player, you'd be best off with a fairly large diameter Flügelhorn mouthpiece (such as a Curry 1 or 1H Flügelhorn Mouthpiece).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

GRAMPAGOLF wrote:

I'm not sure, but the best shoe for a beginning runner is definitely size 10 1/2.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

markp wrote:
GRAMPAGOLF wrote:

I'm not sure, but the best shoe for a beginning runner is definitely size 10 1/2.

Yes, very true.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
GRAMPAGOLF wrote:

Assuming you are a trumpet player, it would be best to get a mouthpiece with the same rim as your trumpet mouthpiece but with a Flügelhorn cup and shank.

Great advice. For a trumpet player, a simple place to start is to get the flugelhorn analog of your trumpet mouthpiece. For example, if you play Bach 3C on the trumpet, try a Bach 3CFL on the flugelhorn.

Also, in case GRAMPAGOLF doesn't know, there are 3 common mouthpiece shanks (Large/Yamaha, Small/Bach, and French). There's a little more information on this here (http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=10). If you're not sure what size your horn is, let us know, and we can probably help you with that.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

If you are a french horn player, you'd probably want to try and find a Flügelhorn mouthpiece with a fairly narrow rim of similar diameter size to your french horn mouthpiece. If you are a low brass player, you'd be best off with a fairly large diameter Flügelhorn mouthpiece (such as a Curry 1 or 1H Flügelhorn Mouthpiece).

Best wishes,

John Mohan

This.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
If you are a french horn player, you'd probably want to try and find a Flügelhorn mouthpiece with a fairly narrow rim of similar diameter size to your french horn mouthpiece.

I play both. Because the instruments are so very different I don't think there's any utility in trying to make the mouthpieces similar. I play a fairly cushy 3C on the trumpet and for horn I play a piece closer in ID to a Bach 1.5 with a much thinner rim. The horn really benefits from the thin rim, the trumpet does not.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best flugelhorn mouthpiece for beginner Reply with quote

delano wrote:
markp wrote:
GRAMPAGOLF wrote:

Yes, very true.

Dang, THAT'S why I never ran a sub 3:30 marathon, wrong d*** shoe!

Brad
joe_PhD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I'm not sure there is a best or worst - just what works and what doesn't. The only way to really dial that in is to try some things out.

With that said, try sending a note out to Trent Austin from Austin Custom Brass. Based on what's currently working for you with trumpet and what you hope to get with a flugel mouthpiece, he'll be able to recommend something that will be right in the ballpark of what you'd need.

He's great, though this is unnecessary for a beginner...

To the OP: Try a standard Bach - or find the "match" to the mouthpiece that you currently use on, e.g., your Bb. For instance, if you use a Warburton with rim X, purchase a Warburton flugel with rim X. That's a great starting point!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: