• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Couldn't you recreate the PETE easily, cheaper?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a futile argument. If you think it works, it will work, if you don't, it won't.

Like the Moon Landing, or a Flat Earth. People are gonna believe what they want to believe.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut-

Nail right on the head.

Steve
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the OP's question, no, you can't make something else and get the "same" results. You can, however, make something similar and get similar results.

As for the results themselves, there are many paths to the same destination - but some may get you there quicker and help you stay longer. Yes, a lot of great players became great players on mediocre equipment, but that's more of a testament to their dedication and talent. Given the choice, they would have chosen nicer equipment, every time.

If you believe that what Terry has come up with in terms of research on the optimal dimensions, and you believe your embouchure type to be one that would benefit from that, then it's still "easier" for a lot of people to come up with 40 bucks than to try to hack out "something similar" in their garage. Some people respect the man and his work, and wish to support the product and reward the method and the man.

If one chooses to discount the testimonials from pros who find it a beneficial addition to their routine, to include Wayne Downey, who's Xtreme Brass yoga method goes hand-in-hand with it, helping to optimize the development of countless high-brass players for Drum Corps for over 40 years, that's fine, but none of the arguments I've heard thus far can logically explain away the sheer volume of reported positive results and testimonials - and most certainly not my own.

Yeah, it's true that Wayne Bergeron didn't get his Double C at 12yrs old because of his PETE. No, he talks about how his success TODAY finds him spending a lot of time on airplanes when he'd rather be practicing, so he uses his PETE to help maintain what he has with a difficult travel schedule. But to know that, you'd have to listen to the cat talk about it, right?

If all you're thinking about is the disc end, you're missing half of it, which tells me you haven't downloaded, read and seriously considered the directions on the Warburton site. There's another thread here where I helped a guy better understand the exercise to do with the concave end, and now he's loving it. So am I. I find both exercises to be complimentary and equally beneficial.

I just got off a pretty heavy gig today. We've got 4 guys that can play lead and 3 of the 4 love their PETE. 4th guy didn't show up today, so we all pulled an extra chart or two on lead, and one extra solo. I've been out of town on travel for two weeks and couldn't really put the time in on the horn that I would have liked - but thankfully, I had my PETE with me the whole time. (It's gold-plated, so I will NOT lose it!) Saved my ass today, and that makes it all worth it to me!
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, furcifer.

I did not know Wayne Bergeron routinely uses a PETE. He never mentions using one in his clinics on YouTube.

I know many players endorse something but seldom or ever use it.

I remember hearing Mark Gould perform at an educator's concert a number of years back. At the time, Yamaha was running full page ads of Mark endorsing Yamaha trumpets.

What did he play at the concert? A Bach Strad. I know because I sat next to him in the audience as he was waiting for his turn to play.

I am willing to keep an open mind about trumpet practice aids, but I think a healthy skepticism is important in today's profit driven economy.

Based on my own experience and the advice of teachers and players I respect, I cannot in good conscience recommend a $40 pencil-type exerciser to young player. If that means his equipment inventory remains mediocre, so be it. He can still practice the material his teacher assigns on his instrument without distraction.

Tell you what, if you can convince me Doc truly uses a PETE and finds it beneficial, put me down for a dozen!

Steve
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, and for me, the best exercise instrument I have is any one of the 3 trumpets I own and play...and play...and play ! But if others feel something else helps them, then go for it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guys on kenton's band used it

even Peter Erskine !!!

PETE is a four letter word after all ........
from my drum corps days with the stockton commodores in 1976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=62&v=TmLlRh3Days
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40 is cheaper than a good, serious mouthpiece, even a lot of knock-offs.

So- why don't you make up something, figure out how to mass produce it, then try to package, market/advertise it, ship it, handle all of the questions and hacked off people who probably never bothered to read the instructions, etc, etc. oh, and if it looks a lot like a P.E.T.E, pay some lawyers for the inevitable infringement suit(s) that follow. You may find that $40 is a bargain. (And I was assuming you were the only one making your contraption, otherwise you'd have to figure in payroll, taxes, on and on.) But when you make it, bring it around here and see how you do. Good luck.
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pencil and a button/string or cufflink.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawyers need love too...
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest thing to do with trumpet playing is to mess up and we have all done it.
using the PETE device is similar to the regular run of playing. you can overdo things very easily. when i started PETE exercise i was already filled with terror and understood that it would be easy to faithfully follow the manufacturer's directions, and overwork. i wouldn't doubt that most unsuccessful experiences with the PETE are caused by excess strain.
i only exercise for a couple of minutes in the morning with the PETE and could easily do double or triple the work. i figure that even mild use is going to enhance playing, and it does. there are years ahead where more work can be piled on. right now i am working on endurance and my chops are always on the edge and don't need something to push them over that edge.
you have to be your own doctor with the trumpet and be able to gauge what you are able to handle. after years of having no sense whatsoever i now have a reliable inner feeling on how to proceed.
this very mild use gave more endurance right from the get go. you don't have to take the factory instructions literally and can use the device in any way that will benefit you most. although it is a very brutal game with the horn the operative principle is play, and not work.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing.

I've tried some ideas out but I'm still working on my
solution to a PETE alternative

The problem is with the PETE you can pull on it, developing not only strength but feel for exertion in the direction of not letting your lips fall into the cup, or be blown into the cup which is probably more like what really happens with fatigue. Because it's one piece of metal, it will not come apart. Take a button or whatever and how do you attach it to the part that might as well be a pencil? And even if you manage to do that, it has to be able to survive a wet environment, and temperature changes. Tape glue, none of that will work. I'm a big believer in epoxy, but I don't see a way to get enough bearing surface to create a reasonable joint. (Not a fan of epoxy in the mouth, either.)
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
the guys on kenton's band used it

even Peter Erskine !!!

PETE is a four letter word after all ........
from my drum corps days with the stockton commodores in 1976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=62&v=TmLlRh3Days

Best post in the thread! Bring this back to music

It seems pretty obvious to me that practice is always best, and anything like this (or buzzing) is best applied when face time on the horn is not possible. If that means a brief workout on your way in to work or when practice time is tight? As long as it does not cause you fatigue when you do have a chance to practice it's all good, right?

Those that experienced negative results were overdoing it. Ipso facto. I find it super easy to overdo it with buzzing, and easier to avoid that pitfall with a PETE. And yet I sit here with thoroughly worked out chops from several days with literally unlimited practice time. Man is that better! If only life didn't interfere ...
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn't you recreate the PETE easily, cheaper? Reply with quote

trumpet_bob_silver wrote:
I glanced at it. $40 though? It looks nice but... $40?

Could you take a pencil or anything thin or thick and tape some weights on it to achieve the same effect?

There's got to be something fairly easily available far cheaper than that? Yes, they look nice, but still...

Going to the extreme for thickness I remember practicing clarinet for a while and realizing it was helping my embouchure since it was a different use of the muscles.

I could see paying for a precise weight set, but even with that, I'm seeing mostly $10 for gram weight sets on Amazon. $20 maybe for the more elaborate one.

I'd have to think about it more, but a pencil and then short pvc tube or something for a thicker grip... some kind of attachment piece... and then the precise weights... Something like that I might pay $40 for since it's variable for using the muscles and the weight, but the PETE is one "setting" unless you want to pay $40 or whatever it is for several PETEs.

Using two unsharpened pencils taped end to end together has done wonders for my endurance control a nd accuracy. Esp the accuracy in the upper register.

The average trumpet player wont be able to hold the two oencils taped together back to back. Maybe not even forvone second. Yet through perseverance one can build up to holding the two pencils for a considerable period of time.

Indeed at close to two minutes of sustaining a double taped pair of pencils I can do matters impossible to perform otherwise.

Like playing a forte F above high C without any arm pressure. Or getting at least a "piece" of a double C without arm pressure. The sky is the limit.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just don't want to she'll out $40 bucks and not like it!

I suppose it was how I got around to making a Renuzit practice mute
after having spent countless $40s on practice mutes that didn't work for me.

I LOVE my Renuzits!

maybe I'll find a solution that I like and have fun along the way

after all trumpeting is an adventure.........right?

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock-

You post demonstates the concept of balance in everything we do.

This balance is something I don't always maintain.

Thanks for the reminder.

Steve
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Technical beasts like Doc, or Al Hirt, or countless others.

And none of those guys, nor any famous classical prodigies or soloists, or working musicians, nor "blue collar " trumpeters EVER used a tool like the P.E.T.E to enhance their performance.

I agree with you completely, putting this up to be a wiseguy. Actually Doc is the one I suspect would be likely to try a gimmick given his eternal mouthpiece quest. I've seen pics of him using a BERP as well. But yes, Doc got to be Doc by a combination of having great physical tools, intellectual tools and an obsession with practicing.

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From his clinics, it appears that Doc finds value in mouthpiece buzzing, as do many other fine players and teachers

Steve
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Thanks for the post, furcifer.

I did not know Wayne Bergeron routinely uses a PETE. He never mentions using one in his clinics on YouTube.

I cannot speak for Wayne Bergeron, but it seems to me this would be something only spoken about in person - not in a master class or clinic (see following). However Faddis is recorded explaining "how" he uses his PETE. That seems like more than just an empty endorsement. However more importantly I can personally vouch that a truly Big Cat lead player (I don't want to name names) uses the PETE - because I took a lesson(s) from him and he SHOWED me how he uses it and advised that I should buy one. He is not an "official endorser" and so has nothing to gain from relating this to me.

The #1 advice given on TH is to "listen to your teacher". So, if I managed to get a lesson(s) with a world wide known professional - shouldn't I listen and at least try it? Maybe I have a weakness in my new "comeback" embouchure that needs special attention and others will find no benefit - I don't know. But to me, the following seem obvious:

1) Is it required to be a good player - NO.
2) Can it help some people if used wisely - YES.

Lastly, when I look at the amount of $$$ I have laying around my house in mouthpieces that I will probably NEVER use again (btw, I have not changed my mp for years - so no flames please), and the fact that I/we are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars (thousands actually) for lessons from professionals, it seems foolish to not take the advice I was given in order to save $40. YMMV
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.E.T.E, mouthpiece buzzimg, leadpipe buzzing, free buzzing, pedal tones, pencil exercise etc etc

If you BELIEVE it works for you, it will. If you don't believe, it won't.

Like the Moon Landing, Flat Earth, Climate Change, JFK, 9/11 etc. no much how much proof or how much one believes, there is always an equal number of people that disbelieve. And neither side will budge on there beliefs and arguments are futile and moot.

So don't try changing other people's mind's to maybe justify your own beliefs. If you like it, use it. If you don't...don't. If you wanna make your own, go for it.

But those of you that need some sort of affirmation from others are just wasting your time. If you're finding success, who cares what other people think?
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely. Please refrain from any discussion or discourse on a forum. This is not the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: