• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Great Review Tom Hooten. He played 2 CSO weeks in March

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Great Review Tom Hooten. He played 2 CSO weeks in March Reply with quote

Scroll down and read the third to last paragraph.

""'If the past two weeks were an audition to fill the chair left vacant by the departed Christopher Martin, Hooten passed with flying colors.""

http://theclassicalreview.com/2017/03/yo-yo-ma-composer-and-chicago-symphony-give-salonens-cello-concerto-a-rousing-premiere/
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a realist and someone who is going to take the CSO audition, is this not his to lose? I'm not plugged into the scene but it seems mr Hooten is in high demand as a soloist as well.

He will have to audition with the rest of us mortals, no? Or has he already auditioned?

It gives me comfort that the demands of the list make it difficult even for working pros I suppose.

Woe is me, that would be a heck of a gig especially with the Midwest brass tradition I think, lots of eager fans:)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
He will have to audition with the rest of us mortals, no?

As far as I know, Chris Martin did not participate in the formal auditions (I didn't see him there at the Fall 2004 auditions). A short time after those auditions from which nobody was chosen, I read the press release saying Chris Martin had been "appointed" to the principal trumpet chair of the CSO. Chris was at that time the principal trumpet player for the Atlantic Symphony and a fantastic player. Thomas Hooten is currently the principal trumpet player for the Los Angeles Philharmonic and a fantastic player. Draw your own conclusions...
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was principal of the Atlanta Symphony before the CSO. Probably a typo.
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

As far as I know, Chris Martin did not participate in the formal auditions (I didn't see him there at the Fall 2004 auditions). A short time after those auditions from which nobody was chosen, I read the press release saying Chris Martin had been "appointed" to the principal trumpet chair of the CSO. Chris was at that time the principal trumpet player for the Atlantic Symphony and a fantastic player. Thomas Hooten is currently the principal trumpet player for the Los Angeles Philharmonic and a fantastic player. Draw your own conclusions...

"Appointed" is just a fancy way of saying you've been hired after winning the audition. Chris won that job fair and square. Not sure where you are getting your info?

Mike
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, if you didn't see him there, it is possible that he either auditioned on a different day, or else as a principal player in a major orchestra and a former member of the Phladelphia Orchestra, he was invited to a later round.

JU
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miketpt wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

"Appointed" is just a fancy way of saying you've been hired after winning the audition. Chris won that job fair and square. Not sure where you are getting your info?

Mike

I just listened to the brasschats monster oil esps with mr martin. I thought he said he had to audition 3 times over 5 years to finally land the gig, sure someone can correct me. Also, it sounded like craig morris beat him out at the audition he won, which i got from the interview, but please someone who just listened to the episode chime in if im materially incorrect.

Setting aside all things music, i admire chris martin for his mental toughness! To go through all those auditions not easy.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for setting the record straight. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I just saw this thread while searching for another one. I had assumed Chris didn't audition as he was not there on the day I was (I did mention it was possible he was there on the other date of preliminaries), and also, until now I had never heard from anybody else that he did in fact audition. It also occurs to me that given his status as a top level player, perhaps a private audition or auditions were arranged.

Whatever, he's a great player and I'm glad to hear he earned the chair - not just through his excellent playing reputation but also by going through the rigors of the audition process.

Best wishes,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: